THEROS and top down design

142 posts / 0 new
Last post

Now that Theros has been announced and it appears to be heavily Greek influenced what can we expect design wise? Innistrad showed what top down design can do when it comes to mechanics and flavor, so we should be able to speculate what will be coming in Theros if we can think of ways Greek mythology can be put into a magic set. My basic stab in the dark.

There will be mythic gods and each will have their own equipment or blessings/favors/enchantments they can bestow upon normal creatures. We've seen metalcraft recently and battalion which focus on numbers and with the echantment subtheme in RTR I think we can see something similiar this time when you have three enchantments on the field.

I'd like to see city-states incorporated some way.

Lots of monsters like hydras, leviathans, chimeras, cyclopses, harpies, centaurs and minatours. Duh.

Is there any old mechanics they can bring back that would fit well in the set? They had flashback in INN and Imprint in SOM afterall.

With the third set being about Nix I think we are goind down to Hades/hell some way some how. Again, another duh.

We don't know much but I'm excitied. I've dreamt about how cool an ancient Greek set could be since I started playing. I wouldn't mind seeing bits of Rome or Egypt thrown in for good measure.

I'm definitely anticipating Greek Mythology creature types.

White - Griffin, Pegasus
Blue - Siren, Sphinx
Black - Gorgon, Harpy
Red - Cyclops, Minotaur
Green - Centaur, Dryad, Satyr, Hydra

Interestingly enough, Chimeras have so far only been seen in Visions as artifact creatures. Since that was over a decade ago, modern day Chimeras could be different. I'm not sure whether Harpies belong in blue or in black, but since there have been two monoblack harpies so far I'm grouping them in black for now. Nymphs are already represented by Dryads but also have Celestial (sky), Land (meadows, glens, and the like), Water (rivers, lakes, and saltwater), and underworld variants. Sylphs could be represented as spirits.

I'm not expecting gods to be made into creature cards however, I would expect their influence to be demonstrated through various cards such as favored creatures, enchantments, and instants and sorceries. I could be wrong about the Gods-as-creatures though. Demigod legendaries, I'm definitely expecting based on Born of the Gods. Demigod heroes were a favorite of Greek myth.

Don't forget that ancient Greece and surroundings are famous for their philosophers like Platon, Aristotle, Heraklit, Sokrates etc. Just want to point out that "human philosopher" may become a creature type or at least somekind be shown. They would be :W:, :G:, or :U:

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

I'd be willing to bet that the philosiphers would just show up as wizards.

*insert joke about the first Harry Potter book being called Sorcerer's Stone rather than Philosopher's Stone in the US*
I feel that Wizards is stalling by doing a theme that has been done several times in the past, and now they are last on the band wagon. I don't expect much in terms of design though.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one thinking Pre-Helenic Greece!  At first my technical words were "Holy Roman Empire", and by that I meant, "Roman Empire", and by that I actually meant "Greek"... somehow I god God mixed up with Jupiter, and again mixed up with Zeus.  Anyway, I'm excited as all get out!

I'm expecting Avatars.  Also some auras that match them.  Maybe some legendary heros, and stuff like that!  I'm hoping for a heavy enchantment theme, but I hope that with every non-Mirrodin set.

Creature types I expect...
White: Griffin, Soldier, Angel
Blue: Merfolk, Wizard, Sphynx
Black: Zombie, Rogue, Demon
Red: Goblin, Shaman, Dragon
Green: Elf, Druid, Hydra

Creature types I want...
White: Dwarf, Pegasus
Blue: Siren, Advisor (Philosopher)
Black: Gorgon, Vampire
Red: Minotaur, Giant
Green: Centaur, Troll

But really, as long as there are short swords paired with shields and the occasional kilt or toga, I'll be happy.
Show
My Decks http://community.wizards.com/vennsvaults/go/forum/viewcategory/138835/Venns_Vaults My Bronation Station http://community.wizards.com/pony My 1000th post! On Thursday 03/13/2011! Yay St. Patric's day. How to play many other Casual Magic Formats http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29198663/?sdb=1&pg=last#521400213 Many of these were on the Magic Resources Site years ago. It was removed around the time 2HG became a sanctioned format. Purple Work Station http://community.wizards.com/purpleworkstation/go/forum/viewboard IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
There are some speculations around that this might be the home plane of Vela the Night-Clad and Krond the Dawn-Clad.
The later would also imply an enchants-matter subtheme...

I feel that Wizards is stalling by doing a theme that has been done several times in the past, and now they are last on the band wagon. I don't expect much in terms of design though.

That's what people said about Innistrad ("Oooh, look Wizards is jumping on the Twilight-bandwagon.") and that block knocked flavor out of the ballpark. 

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

That's what people said about Innistrad ("Oooh, look Wizards is jumping on the Twilight-bandwagon.") and that block knocked flavor out of the ballpark. 

That's a very valid point.  Innistrad is definitely one of the most flavorful sets we've ever had, frankly.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
@Wizards: just make Clash of the Titans/Jason and the Argonauts/Sinbad (basically anything Ray Harryhausen) into a Magic set and take all my money. Im just going to stand here with my wallet open while you put me in the poor house. Just do it, you know its what we both want.

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)

That's a very valid point.  Innistrad is definitely one of the most flavorful sets we've ever had, frankly.

Innistrad's flavor was stale to me. Werewolves flip, zombies stitching together, vampires sucking "blood". Hardly what I would call flavorful, more like a theme that requires minimal effort. Even the undying part was nothing, just persist in reverse.
Jekyl and Hyde, the Invisible Man, and yet another mad scientist. Yawn.

Advisors.
Innistrad's flavor was stale to me. Werewolves flip, zombies stitching together, vampires sucking "blood". Hardly what I would call flavorful, more like a theme that requires minimal effort. Even the undying part was nothing, just persist in reverse.

You have a very, very different definition of "flavorful" than most people. What made Innistrad such a resonant set was the very fact that it played all the gothic horror tropes to the hilt - that was the whole point. If werewolves didn't transform, zombies weren't stitched together, and vampires didn't drain "blood" from their victims, then it wouldn't have been gothic horror.

No, Innistrad didn't break new ground in terms of theme, but it wasn't supposed to. It was supposed to show an existing theme in Magic, and it did that exceptionally well in my opinion.

Gotta say: kinda excited to visit this realm. I'm curious as to what it will be about Theros that will make "lands matter", as well as the significance of enchantments; a new sub-type, perhaps?

I also wonder what Planeswalkers will be tied to this realm...

Do we have any info on the release date for Theros yet, or is it simply "some time in October"?  
If it matters, Theros in Greek means "summer"...

SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! 

But seriously, ever since they made Nessian Courser, I've been waiting for a Grecian setting. Kudos to WotC for expanding their IP in new directions. Can't wait to build a tribal Minotaur deck, have to buy me some Didgeridoos...

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

tHEROs

Interesting.. 
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Don't overthink things, Theros is the Greek word for Summer.
I'm just going to go out on a limb and say that Theros is going to be "Legendary Matters" and have a mechanic based around Legendaries.
Don't overthink things, Theros is the Greek word for Summer.

Look at the logo.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
I don't think you can pull off Legendary matters as a theme, but I think we can see a higher number of Legendaries than most blocks. Especially since they want to make more of them for Commander players.
I don't think you can pull off Legendary matters as a theme, but I think we can see a higher number of Legendaries than most blocks. Especially since they want to make more of them for Commander players.

You could always have something like this:

Olympic Bolt R
Instant
~ deals 2 damage to target creature or player
Mythic - ~ deals 4 damage instead if you control a legendary permanent.
So the only information we have are the set names but it's okay, everybody knows what the sets are about and let's design cards for it because we'll know they are in the sets. 
I have a feeling that the block will have some kind of journey/heroism/epic theme to it a la the Iliad or the Odyssey.
So the only information we have are the set names but it's okay, everybody knows what the sets are about and let's design cards for it because we'll know they are in the sets. 

We have a picture in the New Block Thread. Going by that and the names of the sets it's pretty easy to deduce that the set will be Classically themed. Everyone's talking about Lengendary matters and various creature types that may be in the block because this is the Future Set Speculation forum.
More Manticores please.

Also, I'm hoping for an adventure-y, odyssey type theme as well because I'm tired of Innistrad and Ravnica's high amount of civilization and urban-y-ness. It's getting a little boring.
Heya everyone, here are my homebrew threads: (yes there is only one right now, but there are more to come!) And Let There Be Fish-Men: KUO-TOA
I'm thinking an Atlantis theme. Thera, Theros?
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

Because heaven knows we can't speculate in the future set speculation forums. It's only here for ICD's. :/
More Manticores please.

Also, I'm hoping for an adventure-y, odyssey type theme as well because I'm tired of Innistrad and Ravnica's high amount of civilization and urban-y-ness. It's getting a little boring.

Actually, Manticores are Persian. They might still appear, but if so will be a slight violation of the obvious Ancient Antiquity theme.

And given the nature of Theros' basis, we're sure to see more wilderness than in Ravnica but there will still be some metropolitan areas as well.

I'm just going to go out on a limb and say that Theros is going to be "Legendary Matters" and have a mechanic based around Legendaries.

I think you're right.

+1 for you

t...HERO...s
Show
Since gods play a role as indicated by Born of the Gods, there's most likely a Legendaries matter theme. Let's not forget the abundant number of legends in RTR and how the first Ravnica block also released adjacent to a Legendaries matter block and one featuring deity-like beings at that.

Also, Greece had at least one Moon Goddess, implying significance of the Moon. Let's not forget that a certain Planeswalker likes studying moons...

Completely off the wall suggestion, but maybe we'll see a Planeswalker with Egyptian vibes? One that studies necromancy would probably be drawn to a world that presumably features a rather significant underworld.

And maybe we'll see a huntress Planeswalker based on Artemis or Diana, serving as a female counterpart to Garruk perhaps? She could be GW to help distinguish her from ol' Wildspeaker. I'm thinking wolves could be a favorite companion of hers, combining green and white's philosophies together to create an ever-growing pack.

Hmmm....

Centaurs? Gorons? Harpies? Minotaurs? Hydra? Cyclops? Giant/Titans? Dryads/Nymphs/Sirens? Pegasus? Unicorns?

Seems like a good start to me. Manticores, Phoenix, Sphinx, and Lamia could show up as well.

Merfolk could make an appearance. I also expect to see quite a few different types of animals/beasts. Bulls, Swans, Rams, Boars, Lions....animals that play a part in Greek mythology.

I also would give an arm and a leg for some non-artifact Chimera.

"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
White: Heroes, Heroes in Training
White-Green: Minotaurs
Green: Hydra, Dryads 
Green - Black: Gorgons
Black: Fates, Demons
Black-red: Hellhounds (cerberus), Harpies
Red: Cyclops, Lions, Fire Elementals, Dragons
Blue: Sirens (sexy mermaids), Kraken, Serpents, Nereids (lady of the lakes), 
Blue-Black: Spirits

Mechanic: LEVEL UP!  ( I donno but it seems sensible)
If there happens to be a legendary matters theme in this block (and I hope it isn't), I hope it's better executed than in Kamigawa block.

Also, the set codenames for this block suddenly make a lot of sense.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
No they don't, because the codenames never have anything to do with the set itself. They're just convenient triples, like Hook Line Sinker, Hewie Louie Dewey, Lights Camera Action, Control Alt Delete.
Jekyl and Hyde, the Invisible Man, and yet another mad scientist. Yawn.

I feel the urge to point out that Delver of Secrets/Insectile Aberration was an homage to the movie 'The Fly'.  The flavor and image suggests that he is studying the praying mantis in his hand, the flip side potrays him becoming a grotesque hybrid of said creature.

And throw me onto the loving-the-hell-out-of-Innistrad's-flavor bandwagon.  I love Halloween, I love haunted houses, and all that jazz, and I think they did marvelously, capturing that feel without it being too cheeseball.  To each their own, though.

I'm looking forward to Theros - I hope this is another flavor grand-slam!

I just need to say, a set based on Greek Mythology flavor has been something I've wanted since I started playing this damn game in 1999. I can't even begin to express how excited I am. I don't even care if the cards are unplayable and the format is terrible.
I just need to say, a set based on Greek Mythology flavor has been something I've wanted since I started playing this damn game in 1999. I can't even begin to express how excited I am. I don't even care if the cards are unplayable and the format is terrible.

That's the spirit! Aha!
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
What do you guys make of this?  
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aether_(mythology)
Could Aether be the link between this plane and all the others?!