DGM - Guild Champions

93 posts / 0 new
Last post
As well as spoiling Ruric Thar the PAX panel also revealed the names and art of the other 9 guild champions.

Orzhov - Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts

Dimir - Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker

Azorius - Lavinia of the Tenth

Selesnya - Emmara Tandris

Simic - Vorel of the Hull Clade

Golgari - Varolz, the Scar Striped

Rakdos - Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch

Boros - Tajic, Blade of the Legion

Izzet - Melek, Izzet Paragon

Thoughts/Opinions? It's interesting that Teysa is the only returning chamption... Though I for one am excited by the idea of a Legendary Weird which Melek seems to be.
All of them look really awesome especially Teysa, Varolz and Emmara. Also nice that these are just rares and not mythic rares.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

is it me or does Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker looks and feels like he is a vampire? if it is, them is really cool, it would be the first legendary blue and black vampire
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/7f93181f0a4ee0953e8ae20da960a876.jpg?v=90000)
is it me or does Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker looks and feels like he is a vampire? if it is, them is really cool, it would be the first legendary blue and black vampire

[C=Szadek, Lord of Secrets]Nope.[/C]

I like the look of the Golgari Champion. I'm a bit dissappointed the Selesnyan Champion isn't a Loxodon and that the Boros Champion isn't a Minataur.

@ Blazer, I agree, he definately looks like a Vamp to me. 
The Selesnya and Boros champions look so generic and boring... well I guess they fit with their guilds at least.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Very pleased with all of these. Stunning production value, and each enapsulates the guilds very well I think.

They could each easily represent other guilds, too, the Golgari one looks like a Gruul berserker...perhaps there's something to read into there? 

DCI Judge Level 1

Very pleased with all of these. Stunning production value, and each enapsulates the guilds very well I think.

They could each easily represent other guilds, too, the Golgari one looks like a Gruul berserker...perhaps there's something to read into there? 

Orange bits on his back look maybe fungal?

Really excited to see the Izzet champ's abilities now that we know he's a Weird.

Teysa looks so judgmental, haha. 
is it me or does Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker looks and feels like he is a vampire?

Yeah he's a vampire, in the RTR novels he's a psychic vampire who tries to gain information from Jace, I imagine he'll be Mill based given how popular the original Szadek card was.

Emmara in the novels has the power to summon and control Elementals, so will possibly be a token producer? Though that possibly feels a bit too similar to Trostani...

I can't really remember anything about Exava or Lavinia that would make it into a Magic card... 
Teysa is Envy.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Teysa is Envy.

Yes she is, I blame trying to get these up quickly. Fixed.
I like the look of the Golgari Champion. I'm a bit dissappointed the Selesnyan Champion isn't a Loxodon and that the Boros Champion isn't a Minataur.

Also disappointed with Selesnya and Boros. I'm really glad that the Azorius champion is Lavinia, though.  Also, while I'm a little disappointed that the Izzet Champion isn't Ral's ggoblin friend, a legendary Weird will be pretty incredible.  Golgari one looks interesting, that's for sure.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin

Also disappointed with Selesnya and Boros. I'm really glad that the Azorius champion is Lavinia, though.  Also, while I'm a little disappointed that the Izzet Champion isn't Ral's ggoblin friend, a legendary Weird will be pretty incredible.  Golgari one looks interesting, that's for sure.

selesnya's is in the books, shes jaces friend, and she was also in agent of artifice.

selesnya's is in the books, shes jaces friend, and she was also in agent of artifice.

I understand that.  I just like loxodons.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
I'm curious to see if the Envy of Ghosts title holds.
All quotes attributed to Teysa in this block refer to her as an <em>Envoy</em>.
So... If these are rare, with 10 of them that means there will be a Champion in roughly 1 out of every 4 packs. That will make Draft interesting if they're all at least as good as Ruric Thar.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)

It's certainly Envoy.

Envy of Ghosts makes buckley's sense. 

I knew I hadn't puled Envoy out of nowhere... Curious that they'd make a typo on such a high profile presentation.
So in the books Mirko Vosk is a vampire who can read someone's mind when he's sucking on their brains, and he turned a character into a vampire. My guess is he'll have fear and when he deals combat damage to an opponenet you can exile a card from their hand, and then play the exiled card. Maybe he'll have some Olivia Volderan ability as well depending on how much he cost and how good they want to make him.

Lavinia is a buerecratic policewoman who tries to bring Jace in for questioning, but fails. I'm guessing that she'll have some detain ability.

Emmara Tandris serves as a confused woman who Jace has to rescue, so I don't know what her abilities will be.

Exava is a blood witch that caputred Emmara, but was fooled once by Jace and fough him briefly after that. I'm guessing that she'll have some direct damage and/or creature destrction.

Can't wait to find out what Emmara does. I'm planning a :G::W: Token Commander deck and wanted [C]Trostani, Selesnya's Voice[/C] as commander but maybe Emmara will take her place.

Emmara Tandris serves as a confused woman who Jace has to rescue, so I don't know what her abilities will be.

She isnt just a damsel in distress - she summons massive elementals. She is a healer, and she can also make copies of creatures out of plant material, IIRC.

I think she will be something like Grove of the Guardian or Miming Slime on legs, maybe with a damage prevention or lifegain ability tacked on.

~ Tim 

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)

Sounds like the rest of the Selesnya guild.

She isnt just a damsel in distress - she summons massive elementals. She is a healer, and she can also make copies of creatures out of plant material, IIRC.

Wasn't the command over the giant elementals only granted temporary by Trostani? It's certainly not a power of her own if I recall right.
No, Emmara was one of Selesnya's best elemental summoners. Trostani powers them up by giving continuous supplies of mana.
We can assume, based off of Ruric Thar that the champions will have synergy with the guild mechanic even if only indirectly. Ruric punishes playing non-creature spells, Bloodrush just so happens to allow you to play creatures as your "spells".

Also, Melek and Varolz have awesome artwork.

Nice to see Teysa as well.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."

Am i seeing double?

If the picture doesn't show up for anyone... the Teysa art is posed REALY Close to the Innistrad Lilliana promo art. I kinda feel ripped off.
Liliana, Envy of Teysa

Rules Advisor

Teysa is Envy.

Adams?

I hope the vampire can make spells cipherable
@zauzich: my thoughts exactly.

XD That would be insane.  It would have to say sorcery spells, and even then, outside of limited it would be crazy.  "...Aaand, I cipher my Time Stretch onto my Invisible Stalker, and swing..."

XD That would be insane.  It would have to say sorcery spells, and even then, outside of limited it would be crazy.  "...Aaand, I cipher my Time Stretch onto my Invisible Stalker, and swing..."

well. thinking about it, both instants and sorceries are fine; the only thing is it has to be a spell you control and maybe 2-4 mana extra; I mean if you get to turn 10...

I don't think it'll be that much of a problem b/c Invisible Stalker is rotating out of standard.

Cipher is already a bitch anyways; you gotta have the spell, you gotta have an evasive creature, and it's gotta connect via combat damage. It's like going through flaming loops

I can imagine someone ciphering dreadbore though, and that'll be annoying. But I mean, there is snapcaster.
Emmara looks a lot like Galadriel ._.

Anyway, great art for all, but nothing very mindblowing, except maybe Teysa. 

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
I need Teysa for my Angel/Vampire. Must have Tesya, please let her be awesome. Please not another Deathpact Angel
Any speculation on what the Dimir champion would be like?  I run a Lazav EDH deck and curious if it would fit.

Maybe something like Undercity Informer+Altar of Dementia where it's sacrifice a creature: target player Grinds X (reveal cards from top of library until they reveal X lands, then all revealed cards go to his or her graveyard) where X is the creature's power. 

I can't wait for Teysa to come out! I want her in my stall/bleed deck! I hope she's similar but more powerful than Teysa, Orzhov Scion a good creature removal.
Emmara looks a lot like Galadriel ._.

Anyway, great art for all, but nothing very mindblowing, except maybe Teysa. 

I think the Izzet guy has fantastic art, really cool-looking!

IMAGE(http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/jdealer90/RandomAnimal.jpg)

Main post should be updated with these pictures:

Show

Melek

Exava

Teysa

Mirko

Lavinia

Tajic

Emmara

You're missing a couple CrazyToast
You're missing a couple CrazyToast

As far as I know the other ones aren't available in better quality yet.

It's certainly Envoy.

Envy of Ghosts makes buckley's sense. 

I'm picturing the Ghost Council sitting around saying, "Man, I wish I was Teysa." You'd think they would have something better to do.
Sign In to post comments