Selesnya Landfall-ish

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is this week's attempt to embarass myself in Modern play; Selesnya colors with some land-based shennanigans - if they be worthy of the description.

There are cheap critters which will hopefully do some early damage and the Knights who will hopefully get big. The Crusader is here due to the sorts of decks I'm likely to see - loads of and a little .

The tricks and buffs in the spells are mostly to get damage through annoying chumps such as tokens. The charms are also capable of dealing with nasty things, such as Baneslayer Angel with which I have had bad experience.

The side-board is pretty standard stuff, I think, except for the Kithkin. They're on hand due to the large number of mono- decks I'me also likely to see. The Finks are also mostly for the same reason.

Would Hero of Bladehold be more suitable than the Crusaders or the Knights? Or maybe I should keep all of the creatures and drop Brave the Elements for the Heros?

How about the mana? Should I run another man-land instead of a Thicket? I have Treetop Village available now, I think I like it better here than the Wildwoods.

I have also just received my Verdant Catacombs. The deck would probably run better with them than the Flagstones, but I sort of want to run the latter once. Is it just silly?
you might also consider Honor of the Pure in a deck where all your creatures are white. Savannah Lions might trump Loam Lion if Temple Garden is your only forest. also in a GW deck Gavony Township might find a place in your lands. especially is you end up running Hero of Bladehold just my 2 cents i'm no expert

also Elite Vanguard and War Falcon play well together and Scythe Tiger plays nicely with your Knight of the Reliquary
you might also consider Honor of the Pure in a deck where all your creatures are white. Savannah Lions might trump Loam Lion if Temple Garden is your only forest. also in a GW deck Gavony Township might find a place in your lands. especially is you end up running Hero of Bladehold just my 2 cents i'm no expert

also Elite Vanguard and War Falcon play well together and Scythe Tiger plays nicely with your Knight of the Reliquary

The fetches make it a pretty good bet that I'm going to have a Temple Garden by turn two; preferably on turn two as a result of a fetch. The plan is; turn one: Flagstones of Trokair, Steppe Lynx; turn two: fetch land, Temple Garden, Watchwolf; turn three: another fetch, Knight of the Reliquary; turn four: a second Flagstone. Loam Lion is plan B for the one-drop.

I think I shall have to re-think the mana-base; Verdant Catacombs makes more sense than the second set of Plains fetches. I didn't have the Catacombs when I cooked this up. I think a Forest is in order as a defense against Blood Moon as someone pointed out to me in another thread. I do think I need the Plains as I hope to be searching for them early and often and I really need only one so I feel I need a few shock-less Plains for the fetches and the Flagstones.

I have had mostly bad experiences with Gavony Township. It's screwed me more often than benefitted me and that was in a deck with some Dorks. I just don't see this thing having five spare lands that often.

Honor of the Pure does make more sense with a few copies of Hero on hand. I will definately consider it.

Scythe Tiger is interesting; I shall have to give it some thought.

After a few changes, including the last-minute additon of Hero, I played this tonight; it seems the fifth Friday of the month is also Modern - who knew?

The deck did not embarrass; it went 4-0 and lost only one game in the process. The results are not particularly meaningful given the level of competition but my last Modern home-brew was humiliated in the same environment so I'm reasonably happy.

Steppe Lynx is a beast, KotR can get huge, the Crusader shines in some match-ups and double-strike is, as they say, a thing. I like the Pridemage, Watchwolf does not suck but the deck probably is still a little short on punch.

The Flagstones were a bust; I never got two in a game. The deck would almost certainly be better with something - almost anything - else.

Honor of the Pure helped some but I'm not sure it earned its keep. The Hero's little buddies are the reason I added them, but Hero was basically a no-show tonight. The Charms did not come into play often, but trample and +2/+2 are very handy things to add to a double-striker.

The list as played is below; I'm not convinced it's up to Modern competitve play and I'm not sure what to do about it. Adding is a recurring thought but WotC doesn't make Naya boxes and sleeves anymore if indeed it ever did. Bummer.

Should Crucible of Worlds be in here? How many copies? Two?

Since I would be playing mainly fetches from the 'yard, it shouldn't cause Knight of the Reliquary to lose any weight.

What should replace Flagstones of Trokair with? I'm thinking one Horizon Canopy, one Ghost Quarter, and two more fetches.

I'm also thinking of swapping two Temple Gardens for two Sacred Foundry. In conjunction with this, I would swap Watchwolf for Plated Geopede. I would also likely swap Honor of the Pure for Boros Charm.
Sign In to post comments