3.5 Damage reduction question

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Me and my gamers have a debate over damage reduction and looking for some clearafication. In 3.5 when a creature has 10/silver is silver the only thing that penatrates, our is it beat by magic our a higher level such as adamatimine?
Me and my gamers have a debate over damage reduction and looking for some clearafication. In 3.5 when a creature has 10/silver is silver the only thing that penatrates, our is it beat by magic our a higher level such as adamatimine?

If the damage reduction is 10/silver, silver weapons are the only thing that bypasses it's reduction. Everything else does -10 damage. Sometimes description blocks will explain magic can bypass a damage reduction as well. So read carefully. Magic would be anything with a +1 enchantment bonus or higher. Which any weapon imbued with magical properties like flame, would have a +1 by default.
My username should actually read: Lunar Savage (damn you WotC!) *Tips top hat, adjusts monocle, and walks away with cane* and yes, that IS Mr. Peanut laying unconscious on the curb. http://asylumjournals.tumblr.com/
Ok thats what i thought but i have an extremly agrumentive player who wouldnt listen.
Ok thats what i thought but i have an extremly agrumentive player who wouldnt listen.

There's no such thing as "higher levels" of material types in D&D. Silver is just silver and adamantium is just adamantium. One is not necessarily better or stronger than the other. They just have different properties that give different benefits, usually. That power level crap is for video games.
My username should actually read: Lunar Savage (damn you WotC!) *Tips top hat, adjusts monocle, and walks away with cane* and yes, that IS Mr. Peanut laying unconscious on the curb. http://asylumjournals.tumblr.com/
As a note when using magic swords, the enchantment bonus (+1, +2) sword won't bypass the DR/Silver, but other effects, such as a fiery Blade +1d6 Fire will. DR only covers Physical Damage from weapons, it doesn't cover Energy Damage from any source, since that is only covered by Energy Resistance

ie  DR 10/silver, the PC uses a +1 Fiery Rapier, 1d6+3+1d6 Fire Damage Damage total, He rolls a 6 on the first d6 for a total of 9 Damage which doesn't get past the creature's DR, but then rolls the 1d6 Fire Damage seperate, that Fire damage is not effected at all by the creature's DR and he takes the full Fire damage.

In the same way, a creature with Energy Resistance/immunity might resist the energy damage of a weapon, but would still take the physical damage.

The enhancement Bonus is not effected by energy/magic resistance, only DR