Blizzard make their own DoTP

44 posts / 0 new
Last post
Blizzard decided to bring out a TCG in the Warcraft Universe and it's similar to DoTP:

A bit to flashy for me, but interesting. Sadly it will be F2P, so people who buy many boosters will get faster the good cards. Interesting: They have full customation ! Maybe DoTP 2015 will have this too because of some reasons Wink
XD I knew someone would post this here despite not really having anything to do with DOTP or MTG, I was just waiting for it.

Personally I'd compare it to Magic Online more than DOTP, what with it being free to start but you can buy boosters. Balancing might indeed be an issue but we shall see.

But anyway, it looks awesome. I adore the personality Blizzard give to their games with the sound effects, emotes and dramatic summoning of the powerful cards. As a big WoW fan I intend to play it, as DOTP is starting to lose a bit of its novelty for me (not that I'm not excited for 2014 of course, but it gets less each year). Watching with interest!
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Hi Revolution

I am afraid this thread shall be deleted by the mods.

Anyway here is my 2 cents:

Last week was important in terms of TCGs on PC. 3 important developments occured. 1st, Duels 2014 was announced. 2nd, Blizzard announced its own TCG which is different from WoW TCG by the way. And this is more important, 3rd, Ubisoft's F2P TCG, which shall remain nameless, became available in US after the issue with WotC was settled (It was already playable on Europe and Asia since September)

If some of you are wandering where I have been all this time, I have been enjoying the 3rd option immensely. Daily tournaments, full deck customization, opening booster packs, etc. really satisfies me as a player. That's why I almost didnt touch any deck packs I purchased for D2013 and I am somewhat skeptical about Duels 2014 as well.

I guess many of you will hear about that 3rd game now that it is available in USA, and maybe even Wingspan will take notice now.

Anyway, you can google Ubisoft's card game. No need for me to mention here.
Hi Revolution

I am afraid this thread shall be deleted by the mods.

Nah, it's completely safe unless I post someth---

D'oh!!
I can't say either one excites me, I'd rather stick with DotP.  F2P just really isn't the way to go imo.  I must be in the minority because companies keep chugging them out.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

I can't say either one excites me, I'd rather stick with DotP.  F2P just really isn't the way to go imo.  I must be in the minority because companies keep chugging them out.

That's because they make games they know they can't successfully market for retail price, so instead they make it pay to win model....you get it for free, but if you want to be successful, you need to nickel and dime yourself to death. It's genious, really. You can play and have fun, but if you ever want to play seriously (and who doesn't, once they get hooked) you need to drop cash.

It's the same thing they did with Diablo III....they knew they couldn't charge monthly, so instead they added the RMAH, made drop rates ridiculously small, and then had people selling said really rare items for massive amounts of cash, with a portion going to Blizz. Anyone that wanted to be the best (even in whats essentially a SP game) needed to spend cash to do so. 
Those are the exact reasons I hate F2P games and the exact reasons I can't understand that they seem to be popular enough for companies to keep making them.  Surely this model will be dead someday, right?

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

They will be even popular thanks to amazing F2P titles such as DOTA2 and the like.
I don't get it when people whine about free games.
If they were actually "free" that would be great.  But if you find one that you really like and want to get into it, it is far from free and usually more costly than a regular priced game.  That is why those of us who do not like "free" games are not fond of them.

If they were actually "free" that would be great.  But if you find one that you really like and want to get into it, it is far from free and usually more costly than a regular priced game.  That is why those of us who do not like "free" games are not fond of them.

Same with Magic Online. It's pretty much free to play. But if you want to actually win consistently or use the other features, you have to pay.

Or online business. You could just use blogger, it's free. But if you actually want a chance to get customers, you better shell out for a real url and other basic needs.

I don't see why Free to Play games specifically are targets of hate. It's free and you have the power to walk away with your wallet intact if you don't like it unlike a paid purchase.

Mainly because it is labeled as "free".  If you want to really get into it, it is far from free.  Bad use of words is the main reason they get some much hate, at least that is my opinion.  If something is free, it is free.  Period.  If it is not free, then it is not free.  As others have mentioned, the "free" part is usually more of a demo than having a free game.  Nothing wrong with that, I just think they call it something that it is not.  It is misleading imo, that is my main problem.

Mainly because it is labeled as "free".  If you want to really get into it, it is far from free.  Bad use of words is the main reason they get some much hate, at least that is my opinion.  If something is free, it is free.  Period.  If it is not free, then it is not free.  As others have mentioned, the "free" part is usually more of a demo than having a free game.  Nothing wrong with that, I just think they call it something that it is not.  It is misleading imo, that is my main problem.

Star Trek Online is 99.999%* free.
In order to pay for anything but a subscription* you have to convert real money to an in-game currency,
There's an in-game resource that can be converted to said in-game currency.

The only thing spending real money does is save time.

*99.999% is a huge understatement. The number of benefits of a subscription that are otherwise unavailable can literally be counted on one hand.

I can't speak for all gagillion F2Ps, I'm sure a couple such as this Star Treck one are not as bad as others.  All though it depends how much time you are talking about.  That is how a lot of F2Ps are.  You can play some insane number of hours a week that hardly anyone could possibly spend OR buy stuff with real money that adds up quick.  If it is something you can spend a couple hours extra week to get, then ya, it is np.  Otherwise it is usually ridiculous.

The gameplay looks interesting. I can't say nothing else.

www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/hearthstone-du...
Money saves time, a lot of time usually, that's what F2P games seem to have in common. However, there are still two kinds of games: One kind is like League of Legends, where the unlockable content isn't needed to be competitive and consists of things like skins or more characters, but no powerups to existing ones. This is totally acceptable. The other kind forces you to unlock things in order to stay competitive, which basically translates into "you need to buy it in order to enjoy the game". Something like a role playing game comes to mind, where your character is completely useless without gear you can't realistically get by playing the game. This is unacceptable and indeed a violation of the term free.

I don't mind spending money on a well made game I like, but a great deal of this motivation depends on the company's attitude. The attempt to rip players off isn't really worth a reward and usually these games tend to be uninspired money makers anyway. Great games don't need to steal your money, people are willing to pay for things they really like.
I agree 100% Geg.

@You_Spoony_Bard

It have a lot to do with DotP, because Hearthstone is a competitor. A competitor for DotP, because both are videogames. So if players decide to spend their time on Hearthstone than on a new DoTP, because i could be so much better, than DotP have a problem. No new players for DoTP, no new players for Magic the Gathering the cardgame.

@hydramarine

Hi
I'm not afraid, because early, someone tell about other games in the forum too and they don't deleted the hacked codes for the promounlocks either.

@minddrifter

I don't like f2p too. TCG are extreme pay to win games, so i never played one, but DoTP have a fix price and no random buying card moneysink.

@True_Believer_02

Nice video, the gameplay is fun to watch, much better than Yu Gi Oh. I think i will give it a try.
That playfield is so cluttered with cutesy things and those warcraft soundbites are so obnoxious. Mechanics aside I'm turned off.
so Duel of Champions just came out in the west.
Any Magic players got a review on it?
How much do boosters cost?
Just downloaded DoC, since the reviews make it seem like it's still enjoyable without having to drop a bunch of cash.  Plus there's a single-player mode at least, so even if it does turn out it's a cash sink I'll at least be able to enjoy that

Heck, if it's fun and even a minor cash sink, I might chip in some cash.. gaming is still cheaper than just about any other hobby in $$ per hour.
DoC does look interesting, but unfortunately it's only out on Win and iOs with no other system planned at the moment Frown

Boosters are sold with in-game gold and seals. You get 10000 gold and 100 seals, every time you level up. Unlike DotP, each of your duels also gives xp and gold. Plus there are always other events / 74 achievements that give you packs / rewards / Heroes (think of as Commander in MtG).

A booster pack can be anywhere between 12500 gold and 20000 gold depending on the set. Or you can buy a bundle of 10 booster pack with 1000 seals for example. With 1-2 hours of play, you can open a booster pack or two every day. When you start to do well in daily tournaments, that's where the gold start to flow in. You earn 30-40k gold with a good deck daily from the jackpot.

You can also purchase seals and gold, but it is not obligatory. Some of the top players didnt even spend any money on the game.

Just downloaded DoC, since the reviews make it seem like it's still enjoyable without having to drop a bunch of cash.  Plus there's a single-player mode at least, so even if it does turn out it's a cash sink I'll at least be able to enjoy that

Heck, if it's fun and even a minor cash sink, I might chip in some cash.. gaming is still cheaper than just about any other hobby in $$ per hour.

If I converted my hockey spendings towards play to win games, I'd win every game ever.

If I included beer purchases as hockey related expenses (and in all honesty, how is it not?), I'd probably OWN a majority share of every one of those pay to win games  :P
If I excluded beer purchases, I would be a Fortune 500 company.

That's beer, not coffee.

LOL

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Lol, nothing like a steaming cup of beer. ;P

Boosters are sold with in-game gold and seals. You get 10000 gold and 100 seals, every time you level up. Unlike DotP, each of your duels also gives xp and gold. Plus there are always other events / 74 achievements that give you packs / rewards / Heroes (think of as Commander in MtG).

A booster pack can be anywhere between 12500 gold and 20000 gold depending on the set. Or you can buy a bundle of 10 booster pack with 1000 seals for example. With 1-2 hours of play, you can open a booster pack or two every day. When you start to do well in daily tournaments, that's where the gold start to flow in. You earn 30-40k gold with a good deck daily from the jackpot.

You can also purchase seals and gold, but it is not obligatory. Some of the top players didnt even spend any money on the game.

I actually started playing this game because of your first post on the first page, been playing for a couple days now and I gotta say I'm thoroughly enjoying it, it takes just as much strategy/skill as Magic and the full deck customization is what sold me. I love being able to build a deck exactly how I want. I'm having a lot of fun with this game, I'd recommend it to anybody who likes Magic, it's very in-depth and extremely fun and not hard to learn at all coming from Magic. I also love the resource system, no mana screw FTW! I hope the game does well and sticks around, because it has great mechanics and addictive gameplay.
About Duel of Champions and Hearthstone...
This games main-argument is a free deckedit compared to DoTP and a cheaper price abd better graphics compared to MtG:O.
But if a Magic game would have a moderate price and free deckedit, almost nothing can beat it. Magic have so many awesome gamemechanics and possibilities, the 200-300 cards in the other games can't compare with it.
Sadly, Wizard of the Coast are too money-creedy, and don't see the future of internet gaming. They only know their real-cards and not much more.
Wizards=Company,Company=Money Generator, Company - Money Greedy=No Company, hence, by default, company=money greedy by nature.
I've been playing DoC and thoroughly enjoying it Not spent any money at all, but got a half decent deck and I can compete at least. It feels like a cross between Magic and Spectromancer. I very much like the design.
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.
hey, rabvalue. Looking forward to playing with you, add me
OK cool, sure

It is odd how it's a tradable card game but you can't trade, but I can understand why they've had to do that. Otherwise you could create loads of free accounts and generate lots of cards to "trade" to yourself.

But if they introduced a cost in joining in trading, then you wouldn't be able to do this. I was thinking a one-time cost that covers roughly the value of all the cards you get for free after beating the campaign.

Why is the campaign so short? I find that odd.

I think DoTP is going to lose out bigtime to these new games if they don't get their act together. 
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.
competition is good, I dont think anyone can surpass Magic The Gathering
/rob, I think they have plans to introduce a trade system without allowing abuse with multi-account creation. Though it will probably be implemented in later periods.

Campaign is really bad but most people dont mind it (similar to Duels). I think it's better that they are focusing on multiplayer and other aspects of the game instead of campaign and AI (which takes too much time and they are a small team yet).
you can unlock all cards in DoC by playing?
You buy booster cards just like in paper MTG (which contain 8 commons, 3 uncommons, 1 rare / epic) with in-game gold and seals. Completing achievements also give you various rewards such as booster packs, heroes, banners, etc.
Made it through the tutorial last night and it seems fun, and playable for free without being shut out of competition.  Having technical problems connecting to it on my main network though, so unless they can fix that I don't know how much I can play it.  And I'm not holding out *too* much hope of them fixing it, because I have had BAD BAD BAD experiences with Ubisoft and PC games in the past.  I wouldn't bother with another PC game from them unless it's free..
Well, you folks sold me on it, ran through tutorial last night. Given JUST the tutorial, I'm not really impressed, but I'm gonna give it some more time and actually try out more deck options and whatnot trying to see some of the interactions possible. Same name there as here if anyone wants to hit me up on there and maybe explain the game a bit better to me.
I try it for a few minutes, before i deleted it from my PC.
I have Heroes of Might an Magic IV and DoC looks like a rip-off. The used the artworks from Magic IV and put them in low resolution into the game and change the text. Maybe the gamemechanic could be nice, but i most fall in love with such a game on the first sight, and this isn't true here. I liked allways the superb fantasy art of Magic cards, and i'm impressed of Hearthstone's fleet-footed tender ambiente, but DoC is too ugly fpr me and looks so cheap like if the put it from different pieces together (what is true).

Nothing for me, sorry.
I try it for a few minutes, before i deleted it from my PC.
I have Heroes of Might an Magic IV and DoC looks like a rip-off. The used the artworks from Magic IV and put them in low resolution into the game and change the text. Maybe the gamemechanic could be nice, but i most fall in love with such a game on the first sight, and this isn't true here. I liked allways the superb fantasy art of Magic cards, and i'm impressed of Hearthstone's fleet-footed tender ambiente, but DoC is too ugly fpr me and looks so cheap like if the put it from different pieces together (what is true).

Nothing for me, sorry.

I was under the impression that DoC IS a Heroes of Might and Magic game....pretty sure it says it all over the place.
@Kangermu

Yeah, and that's a part of the problem. Why should i play a rip-off of Heroes 6 if i have Heroes 6 ?