Need an idea for a PC with certain restriction.

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
The player in our group who was using the Rageblood Barbarian (Half-Orc Charger) decided to change up his class as his character has been conscripted into the Arena, and wishes to stay to defend his recently earned title. The catch is, one of the former 'gladiators' from the Arena will take his place in the party. The pair consists of a Goliath and a Minotaur. The minotaur used a Trident, and the player would still like to do so (or something similar) if he picks it. The Goliath used a big bone almost as a hammer or warclub of sorts, so something along those lines would be good. The problem is, the DM really didn't give much input into their 'classes,' basically saying they could be whatever. Our initial thoughts were that the Goliath would've been a Great Weapon Fighter/?? PP or perhaps an Earthstrength Warden/Earth Shaker, while the Minotaur was looking at either Great Weapon Fighter or Guardian Fighter with the Trident + Heavy Shield; not sure of a PP either way. Any ideas are appreciated as we're all kinda in a creative rut right now lol! Thanks!
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Build something that fights with a weapon.

Refluff as needed.

Avenger, Barbarian, Fighter, Slayer, Warden, STR Cleric, Paladin, Blackguard, Runepriest, Executioner, Warlord.

Pick one and run with it.  "Has big weapon" is about the easiest starting point you can get.

What does the player want to actualy /do/ rather than what does he want to look like?
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Well he was a constant charger with the Barbarian, so while he doesn't mind doing it, he'd rather not. He actually was debating about doing some sort of polearm thing/Polearm Master with the Minotaur or the Earthstrength Warden/Earth Shaker with the Goliath for proning and stuff. I think he's solidified on those concepts, he's just torn between the two.

**EDIT** After discussing it, he decided to go with the Goliath Eartstrength Warden/Earth Shaker. Build coming soon.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
The proposed build: Debating on some feats, and if he should go Craghammer+Heavy Shield over Mordenkrad.

level 11
Goliath, Warden, Earth Shaker
Build: Earth Warden
Guardian Might: Earthstrength
Background: Broken Lands (+2 to Endurance)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 21, Con 21, Dex 12, Int 9, Wis 14, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 16, Dex 11, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 30 Fort: 26 Reflex: 22 Will: 23
HP: 108 Surges: 14 Surge Value: 27

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +14, Endurance +17, Dungeoneering +12, Athletics +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Arcana +4, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Heal +7, History +4, Insight +7, Intimidate +5, Perception +7, Religion +4, Stealth +4, Streetwise +5, Thievery +4

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Craghammer)
Level 2: Bludgeon Expertise
Level 4: Crippling Crush
Level 6: Mark of Warding
Level 8: Deadly Draw (retrained to Vicious Advantage at Level 11)
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Armor Specialization (Hide)

POWERS
Warden at-will 1: Thorn Strike
Warden at-will 1: Weight of Earth
Warden encounter 1: Roots of Stone
Warden daily 1: Form of Winter's Herald
Warden utility 2: Endure Pain
Warden encounter 3: Rough Strike
Warden daily 5: Earth-Shaking Rend
Warden utility 6: Earthguard
Warden encounter 7: Mountain Hammer
Warden daily 9: Form of the Oak Sentinel
Warden utility 10: Strength Against Strength

ITEMS
Maw of the Guardian Craghammer +2, Veteran's Earthhide Armor +3, Guardian's Circlets +2, Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Parry Gauntlets (heroic tier), Helm of Opportunity (heroic tier), Boots of the Fencing Master (heroic tier), Mountain Shield Heavy Shield (heroic tier), Elven Chain Shirt (heroic tier)
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
My god those defenses are bad.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Light Armor with Str/Con, no ECS or Shield will do that, yeah.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
I'd advise to take Improved Defenses in heroic and Hide Armor Specialization on L11. Added to that, the build should make use of defense enancing powers like Form of Winter's Herald (D1) or Earthguard (U6). I'd also retrain Deadly Draw to Vicious Advantage at L11 and focus on Powers that slow/immobilize. You would want that anyway for being sticky and making use of crippling crush. Also, switch World Serpent's Grasp to Mark of Warding if you're allowed to take Dragonmark Feats. This will add to defenses as well as Mark Punishment.
Oh - I dunno - the fortitude defence isnt tooooo bad.

TBH I am a bit confused as to how the rest of them can be so poor though - dont wardens get to add CON mod to AC or something?  I am just thinking the character must be missing something.

CON Mod = 5

Level / 2 = 5

Hide = 3

Enhancement = 3

Base = 10

Makes for a sum of 26.

Craghammer + Heavy Shield is the far better choice than Mordenkrad, but I'm fairly sure the player is set on using that two handed hammer.

I'll fix it in a bit; I actually told him to use the ECS & hammer+shield yesterday but I forgot armor spec hide. He's not here now but I'll make the necessary changes and fill him in- he wasn't dead set on the mordenkrad anyway, he just thought it was cool.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Fixed? See earlier post for build updates.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:

Basically it's fixed, but you can't use a magic item in the arms slot plus a magic shield, so a nonmagic heavy shield is sufficient. The character builder is wrong on this one.

I didn't check all power choices, though. Powers that slow or immobilize should have high priority.

Hey could use a Winged Shield later on, though, iirc.
I always forget the shield thing unless I've got my sheet on paper...I'll grab him a non-magical version and pick up some other cheap item in its place.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote: