Cipher Help

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
nothing?

It kind of seems like you just threw together what you had and called it a deck (sorry if that sounds rude).  I have no idea what the game plan is really.  The problem with the Cipher mechanic is that it's way over-costed in most cases to make a meaningful contribution to the game.  You're pretty much never going to get [C]Undercity Plague[/C] out early enough for it to do its job, and the same goes for [C]Stolen Identity[/C].  Most decks can't even get an epic 6-mana creature to fit into their mana curve, so a 6-mana sorcery/aura that you attach to a creature is REALLY pushing it.  

I guess you have the right idea in that you're trying to use unblockable creatures to get this to work, but I think that hexproof is just as, if not more, important.  You're going to feel really stupid when you blow 6 mana to have an opponent discard a card, sacrifice a land and lose 1 life, when on the next turn he removes whatever creature you've attached [C]Undercity Plague[/C] to.   
I have to agree with abberon. Almost all the cipher spells are way too costly for what they do. Wizards tried to compensate for the repeatable useage, but they ended up making then unusable...

"Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this."

where is invisible stalker in this deck? in any cipher deck, he is a must, simply because he is the best possible target for cipher, even though he is weak to field damage. hes like a better version of tormented soul for 1 extra mana.

also, put in hands of binding. in my opinion, its the best cipher spell: it costs 2 mana, and it slows down the enemies attack early into the game.
I've been trying to get my hands on some invisible stalkers but they're hard to come by here. I changed the deck around a bit though so now its:

It's been upholding on its own fairly well. I've had a couple games with it where I was brought down to 1 life, but was able to mill the opponent before they could finish it. If I can get invisible stalker I will definitely add him in. I was thinking maybe getting mizzium skins?
If you a using supreme verdict you should consider dimir keyrune either in addition to, or in place of, invisible stalker.  And yes, you can encode onto the keyrune.
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
Okay, I made a few changes to this deck. I just edited the original post to what it currently looks like. It was somewhat competitive, but it just usually ended up falling just short of a win. I really would like this to become a competitive deck and really would like any input and suggestions to make it so. As for the revelation, yes I should run more but no, I'm not going to pay $20+ for it... so  please any other suggetions I really would appreciate to make this a worth while deck!
Another one of this thread...

So you post a decklist where you clearly have a budget but you don't specify what your budget is?

You also say that you have a card availability issue but we have no idea what cards are hard to come by for you, so how can we suggest cards to you?

Supreme Verdict is the last thing you want in this deck. Why would you encode something on your best creatures like Invisible Stalker and Tormented Soul only to sweep them away?

You also have another mesh of a deck by using Crypt Ghast and Lord of the Void. Your cipher spells and that ramp strategy really don't go with each other at all.

Honestly, if you want a worthwhile deck you will probably have to drop the whole Cipher thing. In certain matchups where they just dont have an answer for Invisible Stalker they are probably killing you faster than you are killing them. Otherwise you will get blown out by decks that run all sorts of sweepers in Supreme Verdict, Terminus, Bonfire of the Damned. Esper can still take care of Stalkers by Devour Flesh and Tribute to Hunger

Decks that have a win con with Cipher just can't cut it.
^jesus what a jerk. You must be a blast at your local fnm /s

Cipher is not a very good mechanic, it doesn't have many interactions at the moment (it has some synergies but that's it).

Wizards was smart to tread carefully with this mechanic because had stollen identity cost one less itd be a very potent card.

Giving these cards a low mana cost will makes them really powerful in modern formats, so they're being careful.

I wouldn't expect anything super to come from cipher in the next set.
My life as a pigeon.
It was a direct statement. I didn't know that addressing you directly would have that effect on you. Please forgive me lil' lady. I might be an outlaw, but I'm a gentleman first; and your respect is very important to me.
>mfw
^jesus what a jerk. You must be a blast at your local fnm /s Cipher is not a very good mechanic, it doesn't have many interactions at the moment (it has some synergies but that's it). Wizards was smart to tread carefully with this mechanic because had stollen identity cost one less itd be a very potent card. Giving these cards a low mana cost will makes them really powerful in modern formats, so they're being careful. I wouldn't expect anything super to come from cipher in the next set.

Sorry, I'll offer bad advice next time. Show me what was wrong about what I had said? Was it too harsh? I'm sure OP appreciates good advice even if it looks "mean".

These forums are waaaaaaaay too sensitive.
First of all, it was borderline against forum rules and at times you sounded like he was some idiot because he doesn't meta or net deck.

I enjoy taking a theme and building around it, I still use my modern samurai deck (is it good? Not at all but that's how I enjoy playing, ya know for like fun).

There are ways to offer advice without sounding like a ****ing ****. When people "offer advice" like "this deck is **** and will always be ****" than it chased people away from the game who really want to play and learn. How do you know that he isn't 12? My little brother plays and posts on the subreddit and he is 13.
My life as a pigeon.
It was a direct statement. I didn't know that addressing you directly would have that effect on you. Please forgive me lil' lady. I might be an outlaw, but I'm a gentleman first; and your respect is very important to me.
>mfw
First of all, it was borderline against forum rules and at times you sounded like he was some idiot because he doesn't meta or net deck. I enjoy taking a theme and building around it, I still use my modern samurai deck (is it good? Not at all but that's how I enjoy playing, ya know for like fun). There are ways to offer advice without sounding like a ****ing ****. When people "offer advice" like "this deck is **** and will always be ****" than it chased people away from the game who really want to play and learn. How do you know that he isn't 12? My little brother plays and posts on the subreddit and he is 13.

Quote from OP: " really would like this to become a competitive deck and really would like any input and suggestions to make it so."

It would appear that OP wants to play magic at a competitive level. I explained my reasons for why Cipher will not be competitive. If I crush OP's soul and push him away from ever wanting to play competitive magic then.... well... good riddance. For Christ's sake learn to take some heat without crying about it. If your deck sucks and you want to be competitive, I'm going to tell you that your deck sucks and it won't be competitive. But I'll also tell you why. Which I hope most people would appreciate more than anything.

Like I said originally and what I have been saying for the past 2-3 weeks on these forums, if there is a budget restriction that is OK! If there is a card availability issue that is OK! If you just want a casual for fun standard deck, that is OK! But you have to tell us what kind of card availability you have, what your budget is, and how competitive you want to be so we can offer good advice rather than just waste forum space. 

Thanks for your story about your 13 year old brother, but how that relates to anything....? You sound like you're 12 yourself based on these arguments... 
Saying to scrap it isn't advice.

And chasing people away should never be "good riddance". The point is you don't know who people are on these message boards, and someone could take a lot of offense to what you say.

I said basically what you said, tht cypher is a really weak mechanic and I wouldn't build around it because I don't see anything powerful coming from it on the future. However you went above and beyond and attacked him. You really do need to watch what you say on the Internet because you don't know who people are, if they have some sort of condition, or whatever.

That's the end of this and you can try to defend your Internet nerd rage but in the end you may of chased someone away from this game and that's unacceptable.
My life as a pigeon.
>mfw
Saying to scrap it isn't advice. And chasing people away should never be "good riddance". The point is you don't know who people are on these message boards, and someone could take a lot of offense to what you say. I said basically what you said, tht cypher is a really weak mechanic and I wouldn't build around it because I don't see anything powerful coming from it on the future. However you went above and beyond and attacked him. You really do need to watch what you say on the Internet because you don't know who people are, if they have some sort of condition, or whatever. That's the end of this and you can try to defend your Internet nerd rage but in the end you may of chased someone away from this game and that's unacceptable.

Can spring break be over so the kiddies can go back to school... please?
Sign In to post comments