Avoid Saving

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
is there a way to avoid having to roll a saving throw if you don't mind the effect??

like the effect of a Flensing weapon on a Dragonborn for excample

i'm sorry if this can be found elsewhere, but i couldn't locate it by searching 
The feat "Saving Grace" lets you grant another ally a saving throw instead of shaking off the condition.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
is there a way to avoid having to roll a saving throw if you don't mind the effect?

Not normally*. Most saving throws are non-optional. You could ask your DM to make an exception (i.e. break the rules per DMG p.42)... but best not to expect such an allowance on a continual basis unless you have a power that permits it.

* saving throws to avoid falling are instances of optional saving throws, since PHB p.284 says: "If a power or a bull rush forces you over a precipice or into a pit, you can immediately make a saving throw to avoid going over the edge".

Saving throws are a randomized duration mechanic in 4e.  They don't represent any action on your part, which is why they still happen when you're unable to take actions.  Such as when you're dying, and unconscious.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I actually had a batch of minions that gave +1 hit/damage/saving throws when they hit someone (and the encounter containted 2 minion generator elites).  The effect stacked and was at a -6 penalty to start (to make it -5 with the buff).  If they saved they did 1d6 fire damage to each adjacent creature for each stack they had on them.  If they had more than 5 stacks it did it in a burst 2 centered on the players (not including the player).  If they had more than 10 stacks, burst 3.

The warlock with 13 stacks had a priceless look on his face when he learned what happened when you saved.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here