DM at a lost of how to level the playing field with the players.

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am having a hard time dealing with one of my players being able to hit monsters with hardly no effort and he is not a striker, i dont want to make the monsters any more powerful than they are now because it would be unfair to everyone else in the group.  How do i keep this fun for them and for me without over doing the monsters or taking away everything the party has?
I am having a hard time dealing with one of my players being able to hit monsters with hardly no effort and he is not a striker, i dont want to make the monsters any more powerful than they are now because it would be unfair to everyone else in the group.  How do i keep this fun for them and for me without over doing the monsters or taking away everything the party has?

A classic problem. We see this one about once every few weeks.

1. Talk to him, and to the group, to find out what they want to do. Is the player willing to use a different character, or a weaker version of the current one? Are the other players willing get change their characters or the way they play? Overall, how do they want to be challenged, what are they willing to do on their end to help with achieve that, and what would they like to see you do.

2. Same as above. This is really the best approach.

3. If talking to them doesn't help, or there's no agreement as to what to do, then what you have is a situation that the baseline game simply doesn't handle very well, so you'll need to stop using the baseline approach. Basically, this means that you have to make it so that merely being able to hit the monsters isn't always the most important thing. It should still be important, but it doesn't need to be the best and only way to win. Make sure there are ways to win other than killing all the monsters, and at least sometimes arrange it so that killing all the monsters doesn't directly help win the encounter, and can even hasten failure.

For instance, put in a task that the other characters would be good at accomplishing, as long as they're not busy fighting. If the more-able player holds off the monster, the others can be successful, otherwise, time will run out. And then try it the other way: with the less-able characters protecting the more-able player while he completes a task that's up his alley.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

A few clarifying questions:

What class is this guy?

Is the guy doing his job while doing this damage? 

Does he just have a high attack roll or is he also doing striker damage? 

Does the striker seem to care?

Do the other players seem to care?
In addition to Centauri's good suggestions i would also check that your player is calculating his attack bonus properly. You would be surprised by the number of players who count things twice or stack things that don't stack or confuse things. Sometimes it is malicious but usually it happens because there are so many rules and new players get confused. Even more experienced players sometimes mess up with new characters.
A few clarifying questions:

What class is this guy?

Is the guy doing his job while doing this damage? 

Does he just have a high attack roll or is he also doing striker damage? 

Does the striker seem to care?

Do the other players seem to care?

He is a fighter that has seen no combat yet this weekend is his first time using it, and he is doing just about the same amount of damage as a striker
In addition to Centauri's good suggestions i would also check that your player is calculating his attack bonus properly. You would be surprised by the number of players who count things twice or stack things that don't stack or confuse things. Sometimes it is malicious but usually it happens because there are so many rules and new players get confused. Even more experienced players sometimes mess up with new characters.

i have looked it over in the character builder and everything is legit

Fighters will do near or the same amount of damage as some strikers at low levels.

That isn't anything odd.  Especially if he has built a strong character and the others have not. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

Fighters will do near or the same amount of damage as some strikers at low levels.

That isn't anything odd.  Especially if he has built a strong character and the others have not. 

they are level 13 and both have built for damage, but the thing im trying to get around is having to deal with him being able to take the damage as well as the fact that he is giving it back with hardly any problems to hit. right now the striker has a +19 to hit and the fighter has a +21 to hit

they are level 13 and both have built for damage, but the thing im trying to get around is having to deal with him being able to take the damage as well as the fact that he is giving it back with hardly any problems to hit. right now the striker has a +19 to hit and the fighter has a +21 to hit

Sounds about right.
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
I wouldn't really consider this to be a problem.  Compensate by giving him more monsters to smash, not by upping the difficulty or increasing armor classes.  Possibly arrange for alternative combat goals that take advantage of his big + to hit, but don't short change other players by adjusting armor class or monster stats.
...and in the ancient voice of a million squirrels the begotten chittered "You have set upon yourselves a great and noble task, dare you step further, what say you! What say you!"
Is it not possible to use more creative monsters?

Something like a displacer beast would create a chance to miss based on percentage, no?

And what about an enemy that uses dodge effectively to boost their AC against the attacker (Specifically, him)?

Or any other variety of tactics could be used.

But in general, I concur with Detoxifier. Not really an issue. 
My username should actually read: Lunar Savage (damn you WotC!) *Tips top hat, adjusts monocle, and walks away with cane* and yes, that IS Mr. Peanut laying unconscious on the curb. http://asylumjournals.tumblr.com/
A fighter who is focused on damage-dealing effectively functions as a striker with a defender minor (rather than a defender with a striker minor); the class has deliberate flexibility in that regard, and this character is just doing his job.

There may be an issue if the rest of the characters are significantly underoptimized AND the players are feeling put out as a result. Have any of them expressed concern about this?
To me - a difference of +2 to hit is not a surprise at all.  So the fighter is using a +3 proficiency weapon and has weapon talent, the other guy is a barbarian using a +2 proficiency weapon.  Zero surprise that things have worked out how they are.

Of course, I have just made a bunch of assumptions right there - the more information you give us about the characters, the more accurate analysis we could give you.

As Neutronium mentioned, you should probably check the party's strikers to see if they're remembering to add in all their bonuses and take a look at their feats and tactics - it may well be a case of the fighter being optimized and the strikers not so much.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

To me - a difference of +2 to hit is not a surprise at all.  So the fighter is using a +3 proficiency weapon and has weapon talent, the other guy is a barbarian using a +2 proficiency weapon.  Zero surprise that things have worked out how they are.

Of course, I have just made a bunch of assumptions right there - the more information you give us about the characters, the more accurate analysis we could give you.

Or they are both using +3 prof weapons and the fighter took Kensai.
Seriously, in mid-paragon just about the only thing more accurate than fighters are rogues and anyone with Oath of Emnity. 

FWIW [4e designer] baseline assumption was that roughly 70% of your feats would be put towards combat effectiveness, parties would coordinate, and strikers would do 20/40/60 at-will damage+novas. If your party isn't doing that... well, you are below baseline, so yes, you need to optimize slightly to meet baseline. -Alcestis
I actually dont understand the issue here.. some players deliberatly build to hit. Because they hate missing. Do not take that away from the player, it probably is one of the things they get their fun from.
If your players just wipe the floor with your encounters, I would suggest adding simply more of the monsters. Brutes are build to take a lot of damage, so they might be a good idea, too.

Some DMs seem to think the game is no fun if players do not miss at least 50% of their attacks, or if the players are not close to losing encounters 90% of the time. Your players might have another mindset there. As others said: ask them.
Thank you all for this insight this has helped me a lot, i hope i am able to get it right after we through our encounters today. I should be able to adjust properly when i see whether or not this is to easy or to hard for them.
Seems like since a lot of players nowadays also play a lot of video games, there's a type of player who approaches it with the intent of "breaking" the game. Which is to say they go to great lengths to make themselves super powerful while staying within the rules and parameters. One of my players and best friend does this with every video game he plays, and I don't doubt he'll try to do it with d&d as well. He will exploit what he's allowed to do in the extreme in order to be better than everyone else. It's just how he plays. Maybe that's just how your fighter likes to play as well. He probably gets a kick out of having a higher attack bonus than the striker.

There have been some good suggestions so far already. I would throw in more minions, and definitely more complex monsters. Something that can push him around, or easily move out of range without granting opportunity attacks. If he must be in melee range, you have to find ways to keep moving his enemies out of his range to make it harder for him, and give the group something each person would excel at based on their powers. 
If the fighter is built to max his to-hit, it's likely at the expense of his defenses. Attack his NADs (Reflex is likely lowest). Use monsters with Stun, Daze, Immobilize, and/or Weaken.

I play a striker fighter and the above frustrates the heck outta me.

-Will, Digital Artist

If the fighter is built to max his to-hit, it's likely at the expense of his defenses. Attack his NADs (Reflex is likely lowest). Use monsters with Stun, Daze, Immobilize, and/or Weaken.

Generally speaking Will will be lower than reflex on a "striker fighter" as most of them will go Str/Dex for all the dex support.  But I understand your point at least (attack lowest defense more often if he tanked his defenses).  As far as status conditions he should have a lot of ways to shake those if they are paragon.
Show

Generally speaking Will will be lower than reflex on a "striker fighter" as most of them will go Str/Dex for all the dex support.  But I understand your point at least (attack lowest defense more often if he tanked his defenses).  As far as status conditions he should have a lot of ways to shake those if they are paragon.

Ah, you're right. I was only thinking of the Weaponmaster Fighter that uses Wis for his Combat Superiority (and CC with feats), thus high Wis means high Will right? I'm not familiar with the Essentials Fighter :/

Also if he's choosing powers based on striking he's missing a lot of powers that would shake off status effects. For example, at lvl 10 Clearheaded would be good for conditions, but a striker would likely choose Strength From Pain.

html_removed
html_removed

-Will, Digital Artist

Ah, you're right. I was only thinking of the Weaponmaster Fighter that uses Wis for his Combat Superiority (and CC with feats), thus high Wis means high Will right? I'm not familiar with the Essentials Fighter :/

Also if he's choosing powers based on striking he's missing a lot of powers that would shake off status effects. For example, at lvl 10 Clearheaded would be good for conditions, but a striker would likely choose Strength From Pain.

html_removed html_removed

I was also talking about the Weaponmaster fighter.  +wis is nice, but 17 Dex for surprising charge, 15 dex for RoB 3rd attack and high dex for a good AC in hide can be a good alternative for high wis.

Since you mentioned it though, the Slayer isn't a defender at all and if his attacks are very accurate that means the character is built vaguely well (as they have some built-in accuracy).  And he does need a lot of Dex (even to the point where dex primary can be a good option). 
Show

Mine is STR/CHA, but apparently I'm weird.

My fighter is also Str/Cha.  But he is also a |Paladin so...

Show
Give him some swarms to fight.