Independant Instances of Damage

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey.
I wanted to collect all independent instances of damage that come to our mind. The reason for it is, i'd like to know, how often one could ping a vulnerability or vulnerability-alike damage bonus (RO most likely) on a single target per round. Mentioning Attack powers is a bit more different for obvious reasons: a multiattack power will always ping more often than one single strike. Same goes for IAs and OAs. But maybe you know of some powers, that should be mentioned here, as well. But i think the focus should be on items, feats and features.

The idea came up, when i read mellored's Retaliator build, in which he seemed to pursue the same question that i'm curious about now. So, props to him.
And props to kilpatds for his Alternative Damage Boons list. It is highly recommended, when it comes to the topic of multi-pinging vulnerabilities and everything else about damage boni.

This is what we got so far:

A tier:

active:

Wand of Thunderous Anguish
Dual Weapon Attack
Firewind Blade 
Starblade Flurry
Flurry of Blows
Blurred Strike Ki Focus
Bladesinger's Bladespells
Unlucky Teleport
Assassin's Shroud
Wild Spellfury
Punishing Eye

reactive and/or out of your own turn:

Glasya's Rebuke
White Lotus Riposte
White Lotus Master Riposte
Ongoing Damage in general 
Ring of circling fangs (in combination with Mumified Hand and/or Many-Fingered Gloves, without       any of both it should be B tier)
Pact Blade
Slashing Storm

B tier (what's mentioned here is really special and costly in most cases and hardly worth it if you go for an overall optimized build; nearly all of them are reactive and/or out of your own turn [the B tier items could be swapped with Rakshasa Claw, tho, but i guess that would be a houserule. Items that are situational, but can definitely be swapped, i've mentioned under A tier]):

Stormhawk's Vengeance
Quori Backlash 
Evil Eye Fetish
Iron of Spite 

"Special" Attack Powers that add additional damage instances and have to be mentioned (none of them, besides Riposte Strike, adds a second attack roll):

reactive:

Hellish Rebuke
Riposte Strike
Ensorcelled Blade
Booming Blade
Dire Radiance

active; without an additional damage roll:

Fury's Advance

active; adds an additional damage roll:

Flame Spiral
Thundering Howl

I'm looking forward to your answers.
Don't forget to add in powers that have a double tap if a condition is met.

Hellish Rebuke > you take damage from any source, you tap the target again for 1d6+mods(fire)
Dire Radiance > if the target moves closer to you on its next turn it takes 1d6+mods(radiant)
Booming Blade > if the target is adjacent to you and moves away from you on its next turn it takes 1d6+mods(thunder)

I know there have to be more but these are just what I can think of. 

And with hellish rebuke, WLR and WLMR become really mean.

Hellish rebuke > target hits you > WLR triggers > Hellish rebuke triggers > WLMR triggers to allow you to Hellish rebuke starting it over again 
Ye, i just wanted to keep powers mostly out (except feature powers), but i will add those powers that are literally made for this kind of cheese ;) as well, like HR and Riposte Strike.
I will refresh my original post every time somebody contributes, so we can see all of our ideas in a single post. Let's go CharOP!

Edit: If you think the arrangement of the initial post is bullshit or confusing, please tell me, how to make it more clear and well-arranged. If i made any other mistake, feel free to tell me, as well.
Just thinking of listing some ways of getting extra damage instances, outside of the obvious "more hurricane of blows, less charge"

Assassin's Shroud, via the Erachima Reading (which I've become convinced of)
Monk's Flurry.
Bladesinger.

Feats:
  Unlucky Teleport
  Slashing Storm

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

Could you please explain the reading of AS you mentioned? To me, it doesn't explicitly say that it's extra damage, but it says that it "adds to the attacks damage, if any". So, why should it double tap?
Read again: "This damage roll never benefits from bonuses to damage rolls, and is in addition to the attack’s damage, if any." The damage is in addition to the main damage and is called out as a separate damage roll (though one that doesn't benefit to damage to damage rolls - implying it could get benefits from bonues to non-damage rolls).
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
I know you don't want to list powers, but zones and walls and stuff would fall under this too. The few that escaped the 1/turn nerf are in a class of their own.
@Fardiz: Thanks for explaning.
@Scatterbrained: It's not that i don't want powers to be listed. I just fear, that it would be too much, to keep the list handy. Maybe i just mention zone abuse in general, but that should be clear, in the same way multiattacking powers should be clear.

I think you might want to list powers that aren't multiattacks but still create damage instances: after all, if you're trying to ping vulnerability a lot, a zone/wall/etc is a really great way to do it, but not as obvious as "oh, Twin Strike hits twice!"
In terms of what others have been saying, as an example: Flame Spiral.  It's the sorcerer's signature power, and only one of the damage instance possibilities requires a hit- forced movement will get one, as will starting the next turn in a square adjacent to you.
The downside of listing specific encounter powers is that you end up blowing out the list with Ranger powers.  Which serves no one. ("Ranger: almost everything.")

I'd suggest perhaps calling out the multi-tap powers from classes that typically don't get many/any (Flame Spiral, the Avenger trio (Fury's Advance, Vengeful Parry, Relentless Stride), Thundering Howl, if I have that right?)

Also I think it's worth mentioning the ones that add as interesting tackons.  "Echoing Weapon" is one that's really hard to understand how it works... but the new Draconian poison power should work similarly.  They have interesting composition with some striker features... specifically Avenger and Sorcerer.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

Much thanks for your input, guys, i really appreciate it!

And wow, Fury's Advance is even more badass with vulnerabilities and the likes, since it's a double tap as a minor! 

I'll heed your advice and add powers to it, that add a second damage instance, without being clearly multiattack. I would need the help of you guys, though, since, even though it's special parameters, that would be many (!) powers and i'm too new to the game to know even a fraction of them by heart.

Also check out the initial post from time to time, im keeping it updated with every post of yours. 
Wizards have enough multi-instance powers themselves to fill a page, as well.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Wand of Thunderous Anguish. 
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
I think you should add any zone/feature that's not limited to 1/turn.  
Otherwise just add "damage zone (general)"

The only ones i can think of are Deep Freeze (swordmage daily), and Conflagurating Breath (Dragonborn feat), and possibly booming blade (swordmage at-will), depending on your reading.   There may be others.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Oh, and possibly a special mention for at-will minor action attacks + revenant cheeze.

Brillant recovery (battlemind) and i know there's an ED let's you make basic attacks when you miss. 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Star-Favored Champion
Sign In to post comments