We need a better term for Elven sleep...

I love what I'm seeing from the D&D Next playtest packets.  That said, I really feel that we could use a more descriptive term to replace "Trance" for the restful time Elves spend while the rest of races sleep.  As a creative community I know we can lend the designers a hand.  What are your suggestions???
"Keebler Coma"
"Keebler Coma"

Well, that was easy.
Keebler Coma for the win!

EDIT:
Thinking it over...and I really have no issue with "trance" (aside from mentally linking it to music like Enigma or PM Dawn)...if I were forced to give a name for elven sleep, I'd go with:

1) Torpor
2) Fey Torpor
3) Elven Repose
4) Somnolence
5) Umbral Dormancy
6) And...my personal favorite (aside from Keebler Coma)...siesta!
"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - H.P. Lovecraft
I dunno, it's always been trace since I've started so I've gotten pretty used to it o_O

That aside, does anyone else love the little flavour that Drow sleep because they are afraid to trance? It's an older piece of fluff. 
My two copper.
I love what I'm seeing from the D&D Next playtest packets.  That said, I really feel that we could use a more descriptive term to replace "Trance" for the restful time Elves spend while the rest of races sleep.  As a creative community I know we can lend the designers a hand.  What are your suggestions???

What's the objection to trance?
I didn't have a problem with trance until this thread. Now I am definitely adding feedback in the next survey to have "Keebler Coma" be the default language.

Big Model: Creative Agenda
Love 4e? Concerned about its future? join the Old Guard of 4th Edition
Reality Refracted: Social Contracts

My blog of random stuff 

Dreaming the Impossible Dream
Imagine a world where the first-time D&D player rolls stats, picks a race, picks a class, picks an alignment, and buys gear to create a character. Imagine if an experienced player, maybe the person helping our theoretical player learn the ropes, could also make a character by rolling ability scores and picking a race, class, feat, skills, class features, spells or powers, and so on. Those two players used different paths to build characters, but the system design allows them to play at the same table. -Mearl

"It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for the publick to be the most anxious for its welfare." - Edmund Burke
I suppose you could use "Meditation", but I don't think that is any better than "Trance". Thri-kreen in 4e describe the same mechanic as "Torpor" IIRC. At the end of the day, Elves just need less sleep than humans, and can do it without losing awareness of their surroundings. The in-game "how" can be refluffed as needed.

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
I still like the 2E term Reverie.

This.
While I have nothing against "reverie" (no more than I do against "trance"), reverie means to be pleasantly lost in one's own thoughts or daydreaming. Sounds more like the school kid dreamily looking out the window while class is going on. Just doesn't seem to equate to what elves do. Meh. Either way is fine with me. Chances are, though, that they'll stick with "trance" and we'll be able to call it whatever we want to. I'll probably refer to it as Elven Repose in my games just because it sounds cooler than trance.

On a slightly more poetic note "Fey Dream".

On a slightly more Dwarvish note "TBCTTDWTJSANAN"

*That bloody creepy thing they do where they just stare at nothing all night.

*That bloody creepy thing they do where they just stare at nothing all night.

As long as they're not staring at someone in particular, I guess that's okay.
Otherwise, it crosses that creeper line and just weirds people out.
MOM! The elf is looking at me again!

This.

Which is more or less french for trance
Try radiance RPG. A complete D20 game that supports fantasy and steampunk. Download the FREE PDF here: http://www.radiancerpg.com
Nothing wrong with Trance.
I cast my vote in favor of reverie.

Using trance sounds like they're hypnotized.

Danny

Reverie is my brothers favorite word. Im on board. Beautiful word.
quiescence, slumber, stargazing

We’ve removed content from this thread because of a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

Remember, a community is a joint effort of all those involved, and while we want intellegent meaningful and productive banter to ensue we also need it to be polite and considerate of others. Believe us when we say it is possible.

Thank you for your time and support as we continue to try and make a great community for everyone.

Today I learned the "Reverie" and "Revelry" are different words.
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.
I cast my vote in favor of reverie.

Using trance sounds like they're hypnotized.

This was my thought.  Eyes wide open and a blank stare.

I guess a majority like trance however.  I just thought the term to common and not very descriptive.

I like the (2nd edition Complete Book of Elves) term reverie too.  Although "Fey Dream" is very cool!

+1 for "reverie" as the general term, but I would personally try to come up with a character-specific term or practice; an elf wizard might prefer "meditation," while a cleric or paladin might call it "communion."
Trance is so eight years ago.  My elves dubstep for four hours a night.
"When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish." D&D Outsider

ROFL. My daughter loves dubstep. Not exactly my thing, but it certainly is far less annoying that some of her other choices

+1 also for using reverie. Very appropriate for a fey-linked race to enter "a state of dreamy meditation or fanciful musing"

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
Nothing wrong with Trance.

I agree Tongue Out

Yeah its been drilled into my head thanks to Elaine Cunningham and Richard Baker.

Lol how did this thread get a mod warning? People getting testy over sleep terms?

ROFL. My daughter loves dubstep. Not exactly my thing, but it certainly is far less annoying that some of her other choices

+1 also for using reverie. Very appropriate for a fey-linked race to enter "a state of dreamy meditation or fanciful musing"

Every now and then I give my sons neon bracelts, turn off the lights, bump dubstep and enjoy the show. Poor mans light show.

LOL

Mind if I use this as my signature ?  
Try radiance RPG. A complete D20 game that supports fantasy and steampunk. Download the FREE PDF here: http://www.radiancerpg.com
i made a star trek william riker refrence to elven women and the politically correct crew slapped it down lol. guess since wotc dosent own it they dont want to see it around

Standby.

(with a small red light while they're at it) 
While I have nothing against "reverie" (no more than I do against "trance"), reverie means to be pleasantly lost in one's own thoughts or daydreaming. Sounds more like the school kid dreamily looking out the window while class is going on. Just doesn't seem to equate to what elves do. Meh. Either way is fine with me. Chances are, though, that they'll stick with "trance" and we'll be able to call it whatever we want to. I'll probably refer to it as Elven Repose in my games just because it sounds cooler than trance.

The same edition that called it reverie also clarified that, instead of dreams, elves re-live their memories vividly.  So "reverie" is an apt term.  The constant re-living of memories is also what increases elves' sense of self, which is why they get a bonus on enchantment effects, their sense of self is harder to overcome.

And also, I cast my vote for "reverie" 
I've never had any problem with the word "trance" but "reverie" is soooo much cooler. 

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

"...chill...till the next episode..."

But yeah, "Reverie". 
Transcendental meditation - and its also a ritual you can learn.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Transcendental meditation

Great Stevie Wonder lyric off of Innervisions, sick.
Transcendental meditation

Great Stevie Wonder lyric off of Innervisions, sick.

No clue what you are talking about - So you listen to Stevie Wonder? 

... definition ...

tran·scen·den·tal med·i·ta·tion  

Noun

A technique for detaching oneself from anxiety and promoting harmony and self-realization by meditation and repetition of a mantra. 

Other definitions include deep relaxations and similar verbage.

I do admit reverie is kind of interesting, makes me think of a waking dream or similar. 
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

+1 vote for "Reverie."

Yes, I agree.

Given the design goals of 5E the aggregate of all past PHB classes should be present in the 5E PHB: Barbarian, Ranger, Rogue, Assassin, Monk, Fighter, Warlord, Paladin, Cleric/Priest, Psion, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard/Mage/Illusionist, Bard, and Druid. Add in one or two Gish/variants and call it perfect.

Reverie - absolutely.

Me too : )

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

I think I'll use Reverie even if they use the term Trance as official descriptor in my home campaign.  It does sound cooler!