WUB Zur & Taxes idea

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I want to make a taxes deck.  I have it spread out on my table right now.  I'm not sure how to describe the deck other than it will use spell casting cost tithing permanents.  What I'm stuck on right now, and could use a little community input on, is how to tie some of the synergy together.  This deck is multiplayer aspirated, and will be a little slow with a pretty robust tutor package.

General - Zur the Enchanter

Tax cards, so far:

Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
Glowrider
Lodestone Golem
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Sphere of Resistance
Invoke Prejudice
Trinisphere
Nether Void
In the Eye of Chaos
Aura of Silence 

... more, I can't remember. 

Tool Box

Arcum Dagsson
Academy Rector
Mystical Teachings
Attunement
Bazaar of Baghdad 
Demonic Tutor
Intuition  
Enlightened Tutor
Mystical Tutor
Rune-Scarred Demon
Archaeomancer
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
Auramancer
Replenish
Sun Titan
Reveillark
Karmic Guide   
Ghostway O_O

... and more, of course.  The staple are mostly in there.  Any thoughts?  Tech suggestions please, but no deadeye.  I wanted to stay away from him this time.

Grave Titan is in.
You might want to try detering people from attacking you as it might be the only way people will be able to kill you.  
some cards to deter attacking are:
ghostly prison
propaganda
windborn muse
blazing archon (just use reanimator package to get him out)
moat (with how long you have been playing I don't know if you have one or not)
Magus of the moat 

otherwise I'd toss in gwafa hazid, profiteer just be casue he can be really fun for everyone and could keep people from attacking you.  
I actually don't have a moat.  I suppose I could trade for one, I know someone who has one for trade.

RE: Pay to attack cards, I thought about those, as they are conveniently costed at .  Hmm, I'll have to get back to that one.

Remembered some more cards for the deck:

Transmute Artifact
Loyal Retainers casting cost is decent here, although will probably not make the cut. 
Necropotence
Solitary Confinement 
Fountain Watch
Neurok Transmuter - Not sure on this one.
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Yawgmoth's Will

I really want to put an 8.5 Tails in the deck, but it is mana intensive.
well I'd try a Nim Deathmantle + Ashnod's Altar +Grave titan for infite mana or infinite zombie tokens if you wan't a way to make mana for  tails.
You say taxes and no War Tax? lol Norn's Annex

I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

My Current EDH Decks: Rhys the Redeemed Token Elves | Wort, Boggart Auntie R/B Goblins | Brion Stoutarm | Rakdos, Lord of Riots | Tajic, Weapon with Mass Destruction | Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer | Melek, Izzet Paragon | Heliod Enchantments | Prossh Tokens and Sac | Captain Sisay Legendary Toolbox Beatdown | Marath Beast Tribal | Marath Token Combos | Horde of Notions Elemental Tribal | Zirilian Mono Red Dragon Tribal

Yes... I have 14 built decks used regularly, including 3 Boros Colored Decks. Don't judge me. =P

Man I forgot about Norn's Annex.... such a great card use to play it in my Crovax deck. maybe isolation cell could help too.  
Hmm.  Time to take the deck sideways I think.  I want to take a different approach to the taxes on attack idea.  I think the only good ones are the 3 cmc enchantments.  I may just use propaganda and web of inertia.

I totally forgot about tabernacle.  Damn you metalevolence.

In my group, rhystic study and mystic remora get you killed.  We are WELL aware of the value of those two cards.  One guy is almost kill on sight when someone plays it.
o_O isn't it usually easier to just destroy an enchantment than kill its controller
Oddly, this is sort of what my Zur deck does. Most people don't know how to react to a non-Zur-ish Zur. I get a lot of, "Oh God, Zur!". Then they look confused when Zur attacks and I pull out Propaganda and play a merfolk.

I recommend Hissing Miasma and Orim's Prayer in addition to the mana tax enchantments. Yes, I know there's a 3 cmc white enchantment that gives you 1 life per attacking creature no matter who they attack. I just feel like that's saying, "You might as well attack me since I'll gain life if you attack someone else", whereas Orim's deters attacks on me by lessening their effect. Karmic Justice rounds out my Zur-retrievable deterrent package. For creatures that are bothersome, I have Recumbent Bliss and Pillory of the Sleepless. I have boots and such, but Zur protects himself with Spirit Mantle and Righteous War.
For Planeswalkers I run Venser, the Sojourner Tamiyo, the Moon Sage, and Jace Beleren because I don't own a better Jace.

I don't run it, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Magus of the Tabernacle.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

o_O isn't it usually easier to just destroy an enchantment than kill its controller

Oh we do that, too.  But the kill order stands.  No good deed goes unpunished.
What is your win condition?  Just beats from your general or other creatures?  I have an anticreature deck that runs vile consumption, overburden, rule of law, arcane laboratory, megrim, necrogen mists, mana breach, story circle and void stalker, evil twin, and meddling mage with soul foundry.  My problem is, I can get some good locks, but never really have a way to win...  I threw in celestial convergence and Azor's Elocutors but that seems weak at best.  I also like divine presence, silent arbiter, meekstone etc.  Just some random thoughts for you.
Blind Obedience, Kismet, and Frozen Aether all prevent shenanigans where openents win in one turn with hasty creatures, and blind obedience also allows you to tax them on life. 
Sign In to post comments