Character Builder Dual Implement Problem

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Not sure if this is bug or user error. Here goes:
Warlock, dual Implement feat, the builder is not letting me put a rod in each hand. When i put one in the weapon slot it shifts it to the offhand slot which is fine, but, when i put the second rod in the main hand it slides it to the offhand and drops the one that was already there. So,... Bug?
Not sure if this is bug or user error. Here goes: Warlock, dual Implement feat, the builder is not letting me put a rod in each hand. When i put one in the weapon slot it shifts it to the offhand slot which is fine, but, when i put the second rod in the main hand it slides it to the offhand and drops the one that was already there. So,... Bug?

You don't need to have a feat to use dual implements; Dual Implement Spellcaster just gives additional damage on attacks.  You choose which implement to use on any given attack, and get a bonus to damage equal to the enhancement of the other (that is, you effectively get to switch "main hand" and "off hand" for each attack).  As for the CB: there should be a weapon and an off hand slot.  Equip one implement in one and one in the other.  The character sheet will reflect both alternatives.
Offline or online CB? Have you tried equipping other off-hand implements, like two daggers or two staves? (Even if you try this on a character without proficiency in those implements, you should still be able to equip them in the off-hand. Just remember, if you want to test with staff implements, that you need to use a Staff Implement and not a Quarterstaff -- the CB makes a distinction between them that doesn't exist in the actual rules, unfortunately.)
I wasn't clear. Simply put, the online character builder is not letting me equip two off-hand implements, one in the main hand and one in the off hand.
More precisely, I am trying to equip a staff of ruin in the main hand (staff proficiency from white lotus) and a rod of brutality in my off hand.
I wasn't clear. Simply put, the online character builder is not letting me equip two off-hand implements, one in the main hand and one in the off hand.

You can work around this.  Check the box in "show on power cards" for both implements, and the numerical calculations will be done for both in the later pages.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Will that also reflect the damage increase from the dual implements feat? Probably not right? Heheh
It won't but its just buggy.  You don't need a feat or anything special to hold 2 implements in your hands.  You just need the character builder not to be silly.

Edit: Although the problem might be the staff part of it.  The game may be recognizing the staff as a 2-handed weapon.  What you could try to do is put a generic +X magic rod in the other hand and see if it fixes the problem (so rod in both hands). 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
although that will have the staff's item bonus to damage not being calculated.  Ahh - when the CB wants to be a pain, it really is a pain.  Tricking it into doing the right thing takes more effort than using a pencil after printing the sheet :P
it bugs out like that sometimes when you have a list of items that can be equipped, usually when you upgrade mid-adventure and haven't had a chance to sell or dust the previous item.  I usually run into it when i find a 3rd ring. 

I have gotten around it by rebuilding the character from scratch.  When you get to items, add only the ones you want to have equipped first and plug them in, then go back and rebuild the rest of your inventory.  Clunky and as inelegant as it gets, but it works. 

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard