Shadowborn Apostle - M14 card from DOTP

49 posts / 0 new
Last post

(at)MrEnglish22

Very cool, is play it instandard if sever and sphere didn't exist.
Very cool, is play it instandard if sever and sphere didn't exist.

Yeah. I like the Relentless Rats ability is moving to another card (and seems to be a black color pie thing now) but this isn't very good.

I'm also thinking this would be cool if you could abuse it with Angel of Glory's Rise (think if it were white and got Angels instead....) 

(at)MrEnglish22

I think you could build a not-very-good-deck around this... and immortal servitude 
I think you could build a not-very-good-deck around this... and immortal servitude 

Yeah, I just wish there were more Demons to abuse/more sac outlets

(at)MrEnglish22

No mana ramp turn 3 Grislbrand? Ok I like, although the fully unlocked deck should have about 6-10. absolutely no more than 15 though, I want to use some other demons and since each deck has 30 unlocks again.
This obviously fits nicely with the new Mythic Demon that's been spoiled.

Cheers
Mono-B demon EDH GO!GO!GO!
I guess my next deck will be Demonic Battle of Wits
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
I'm having some trouble reading the card. What is before the comma?

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

I'm having some trouble reading the card. What is before the comma?

This card make Johnny inside me tingling.
Quick gatherer search makes me think this card probably have synergy with Ravenous Demon or Reaper from the Abyss in standard (for now), ]Nefarox is another candidate but my fav is Lord of the Void.
And Lady Orca is a demon ftw, never knew about that.
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
Does anyone else notice the 1/2 mana symbol?

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Does anyone else notice the 1/2 mana symbol?

No, nobody else read it incorrectly.

Edit: Also, this is freakin awesome. 
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
This does not excite me.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

This plays well with Shadowborn Demon as it puts the six creatures it wants into your graveyard and of course is obviously indicated by the Shadowborn prefix. Highly reminiscent of the Herald cycle from Alara.

That looks an awful lot like a to me. Considering the demon's cmc is 5, that makes sense. But looking at the picture again, I can also see why HT thinks it's a .

No mana ramp turn 3 Grislbrand? Ok I like, although the fully unlocked deck should have about 6-10. absolutely no more than 15 though, I want to use some other demons and since each deck has 30 unlocks again.

Without ramp, I don't see how you can use this before turn 4 or 5, depending on whether the mana symbol is or .

I support cards that care about themselves in name to be common, but this seems very awkward in common, especially in a Core Set and with that first ability.
I think the real question is: how long before someone tries to draft mono-Shadowborn Apostles.dek? I mean, it wouldnever come off perfectly (you'd probably be lucky to draft 10 of them) and it'd never win but I would love to watch the drafter that tried...
I love it.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
I'm going to put SO many of these in my Laboratory Maniac/Sphinx of the Chime deck.
This plays well with Shadowborn Demon as it puts the six creatures it wants into your graveyard and of course is obviously indicated by the Shadowborn prefix. Highly reminiscent of the Herald cycle from Alara.

That looks an awful lot like a to me. Considering the demon's cmc is 5, that makes sense. But looking at the picture again, I can also see why HT thinks it's a .

Without ramp, I don't see how you can use this before turn 4 or 5, depending on whether the mana symbol is or .

To me it first looked like hence why I thought it was a turn 3 rampless ability
This, Battle of Wits and Rune-Scarred Demon.

That's brilliant

Edit - decklist

100 lands
120 this guy
4 Battle of wits
2 rune-scarred demon
2 night's whisper

If you wanna play battle on turn 5 you don't have much space, if you're on the play then you need 6 apostles and 4 lands to be your top ten cards and then topdeck a land on turn 5. (Or you can draw a battle naturally). Whisper can help a little but you don't have enough mana to cast two, that's why there's only two in the deck.

A typical   trying to get somewhere in the Multiverse, allons-y?

DOCTOR WHO OOOOOOOOEEOOOOOOOO OOOOOOEEOOOOOOO (I'm weird, cant help it)

Famous Quotes:

144543765 wrote:
I was browsing through some cards in gatherer and I noticed something really odd - the transforming cards from Innistrad like Mayor of Avabruck have separate comments and ratings for each side. Isn't that totally stupid? It feels as senseless as having two different pages for each side of a split card or having different pages for Nimble Mongoose with and without threshold.

56965528 wrote:
*mutters under his breath* Squinty's Wife: "What was that!?!?" Umm, I said.... umm..... ahhh.... *another smack upside the head* Squinty's Wife: "Care to try again?" *shakes head vigerously* Squinty's Wife: "That's better." ~SE++ *whimpering*

Current deck goals:

NON-AGGRO, NON-MONO RED deck (Not getting very far with it though)

Standard mono red deck for FNM next Friday

Bloodbond March seems like it would be amazing with this guy in casual.

Desperate Research would be a nice way of refilling your hand. 

Extirpate.

You may as well say Naturalize. Saying "combos can be disrupted" is about as helpful as saying "creatures die to removal".

Oh!
For standard: Sphinx of the Chimes.
Draw your whole deck, drop Laboratory Maniac.

Whups, beat me to it
Just make it basic ;_;

Anyway, I want to use this with Ranger of Eos. Although I want to use everything with Ranger of Eos.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

This needs to be a cycle.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
This needs to be a cycle.

In what way? Do you want Blue to do ritualistic suicide for a Sphinx? Or would you settle for something like "Discard three cards named ~" or so?

I can't come up with enough spins to make it into a sensible cycle.

Yxoque wrote:

It does seem like there might be a cycle going on here.

Argument:
Name is fairly general, could easily replace "Shadowborn" with something else for each other color.
Beyond the obvious ability, there doesn't seem a flavor reason why there should be infinite Shadowborn Apostles running around. The same cannot be said for Relentless Rats, which has a plural name including "relentless", synonomous for "endless" or "nonstop". The art shows a horde of rats, while the art for this card only shows one Apostle.
An argument could be made for each color having >4 of a single card in a deck.

Counterargument:
Relentless Rats, the only other card with this effect, is black as well, suggesting this effect is restricted to black.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)

Extirpate.

You may as well say Naturalize. Saying "combos can be disrupted" is about as helpful as saying "creatures die to removal".

Most combo counters don't leave you without a deck to play with for a single mana.
I hope I never see this in my sealed pool.

Extirpate.

Most combo counters don't leave you without a deck to play with for a single mana.

Then if you put them on Extirpate, you next-level them by boarding in Laboratory Maniacs.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
It does seem like there might be a cycle going on here.

Argument:
Name is fairly general, could easily replace "Shadowborn" with something else for each other color.
Beyond the obvious ability, there doesn't seem a flavor reason why there should be infinite Shadowborn Apostles running around. The same cannot be said for Relentless Rats, which has a plural name including "relentless", synonomous for "endless" or "nonstop". The art shows a horde of rats, while the art for this card only shows one Apostle.
An argument could be made for each color having >4 of a single card in a deck.

Counterargument:
Relentless Rats, the only other card with this effect, is black as well, suggesting this effect is restricted to black.

White - Lightborn
Blue - Waterborn
Red - Dragonborn Fireborn
Green - Wildborn

Then if you put them on Extirpate, you next-level them by boarding in Laboratory Maniacs.

You still have a lot of lands you need to dig through.

Yxoque wrote:

@Manite, I'd be pleasantly surprised if this was a cycle, each tutoring up their own big guy.
If it was a cycle, I don't think it would make sense for the others in the cycle to sacrifice themselves, since sacrificing your own creatures is mainly a black thing. So for example, the white ones might just tap, and their leader might get extra p/t based on how many creatures you control. But the problem with that is white would be able to bring out a new one every turn.
I really like this card.

And if it were a cycle I'd hate it. It's not like black is really hurting for more things to do, but if it getting "basic creatures" is a thing just to itself that'd be great. Also being a cycle makes it a lot less unique and interesting.
Heya everyone, here are my homebrew threads: (yes there is only one right now, but there are more to come!) And Let There Be Fish-Men: KUO-TOA
Sign In to post comments