Help wanted: Dwarven fighter - with high/low attributes

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi.

It's been several years from when I last played dungeons and dragons. At that time I played 3rd edition. Now my old group had gotten together again and have decided to try 4th edition.
So a couple a days ago we met for a character creation session and I rolled the abillity scores for my first ever 4th edition character. (yes, we decided to roll: Best 3 of 4d6)

The results, in random order, was this bowl of mixed nuts:

I really like the fighter class, and I like the idea of playing a dwarf wich means i get to boost constitution and wisdom with +2

Now my problem lies with placing the 5. I could accept that I had one really low score, but what abillity would it be? Strength and Con needs to be high, wisdom as well I guess. So should I sacrifice ranged attacks and unarmed armorclass and go with dex, or should I accept that with a low intelligence my part in the group would be mostly combat oriented, or should I go with a low charisma and be the most unispiring and uncharismatic fighter ever, not much hero like...

So how should I create a dwarven fighter with the above rolls and racial bonuses? Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated...
Strength and Con needs to be high, wisdom as well I guess. So should I sacrifice ranged attacks and unarmed armorclass and go with dex, or should I accept that with a low intelligence my part in the group would be mostly combat oriented, or should I go with a low charisma and be the most unispiring and uncharismatic fighter ever, not much hero like...

You can safely dump INT or CHA as a Fighter, and it has to have no influence on your roleplaying whatsoever. Your character should be more than the numbers on your sheet, otherwise you're not using your imagination enough.
Due to mechanical balance of things, rolled stats are not recommended around here... Point buy is preferred, just wanted to get that out of the way first.

Dwarves can also get +2 to Str/Con instead of Con/Wis, and that is the option you should go with for a fighter. Put your highest stat in Strength (hitting is very important), second highest in Wisdom (Will defense, access to Superior Will, and opportunity attacks), then Dex, then Con, and you should be good to go.

Someone in your group should spring for a DDI subscription for character creation. That will get you access to the full gamut of character creation tools without having to buy all the books. Using everything is also recommended around here, because there has been a lot of balance brought into the system via supplements and updates/errata.

Last but not least, if you want to play a fighter, take a look at the fighter guide here.
Hey guys. 

Thank you for your quick replies, they were very helpful, especially the link to the fighter guide wich is great. 
Certainly stats don't have to influence your roleplaying, but you can let them if it's fun. I would see this as an opportunity to roleplay a dwarf who is either comically dense (dumped INT) or who says completely off-putting or inappropriate things all the time (dumped CHA).

But this is just in regards to having fun - you don't have to butt in during intense negotiations and completely fail a skill challenge. A good rule of thumb is that you can revel in your flaws all you want up to the point where it affects the party.
Hi.

It's been several years from when I last played dungeons and dragons. At that time I played 3rd edition. Now my old group had gotten together again and have decided to try 4th edition.
So a couple a days ago we met for a character creation session and I rolled the abillity scores for my first ever 4th edition character. (yes, we decided to roll: Best 3 of 4d6)

The results, in random order, was this bowl of mixed nuts:

I really like the fighter class, and I like the idea of playing a dwarf wich means i get to boost constitution and wisdom with +2

Actually, you get +2 Con and your choice of Strength or Wisdom for your second +2.  Take Strength.

This will make a killer Dwarf Fighter, in fact.

Strength 18, +2 racial for 20.  <- this is your primary score.  Boost it every time you have a choice.
Con 15, +2 racial for 17  <- this is NOT your secondary score.  Don't boost it.
Dex 12
Int 5 or 10
Wis 16   <- this is actually your secondary score.  Boost it every time you are given a choice.
Cha 10 or 5

If you decide you prefer not dumping Int *or* Cha, stick the 5 in Dex.  That's okay, you can do that.  It won't cause you many problems.

So should I sacrifice ranged attacks and unarmed armorclass and go with dex,

You will never, ever care about dex-based attacks, and unarmored AC might show up once, maybe twice in your character's lifetime.  Make sure you carry a spare "Heavy Thrown" weapon or two - they use Strength for ranged attacks - for your first few levels, but after a while you'll stop caring about Ranged attacks entirely.

or should I accept that with a low intelligence my part in the group would be mostly combat oriented, or should I go with a low charisma and be the most unispiring and uncharismatic fighter ever, not much hero like...

Low int doesn't have to make you boring.  INTERESTING low-int characters tend to be comedy relief a lot of the time, but, hey, that's not bad.  Low cha doesn't have to make you uninspiring, although you're unlikely to be a leader.  Pick a fun personality that turns your bad stat into a fun point of distinction, and treat it like a character trait, not a flaw.

And, like I said, you can go low-Dex if you don't want low cha or low int, and it won't cause you many problems.  Strength and Wisdom are the stats you care most about, with Con a distant third.

That being said!

You want fighter weapon talent.  Choose one-handed weapons or two-handed, both work.  Your first Feat is "Dwarven Weapon Training", and if you're using one-handed weapons your weapon of choice is a Waraxe or a Craghammer.  If you're using two-handed weapons your weapon of choice is a Mordenkrad or a Gouge.  Wear Scale Armor, and if you're using one-handers carry a Heavy Shield.   You have a wide selection of power choices, all of them reasonably good - there's very few traps, and the various guides are good for that.

At that point, you're done:  a L1 Dwarf Fighter who is mechanically sound and ready to Punch Evil.  In the FACE.  You should be rocking a respectable +8 to hit on most of your powers,  for 1d12+7 damage (waraxe) or 1d10+7 rerolling 1s and 2s (craghammer) or 2d6+7 rerolling 1s (gouge or mordenkrad).  Your attacks Mark, which gives a penalty to hit people other than you and gives you a free attack if the enemy attacks someone else despite the penalty or tries to Shift away.  Your Opportunity Attacks (NOT including the free ones from the Mark, sorry) carry an amazing +3 to hit, and stop movement.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.