What to use for a Radiant Idol in 4E?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Radiant Idols, corrupted angels clipped of their wings and exiled to the material plane in the Eberron campaign setting, have not been translated from 3.X to 4E. I'm looking for an existing 4E monster to reskin (and possibly make minor tweaks to) to represent a Radiant Idol as the mastermind behind a cult plaguing my PCs; the culminating fight will be at the end of Heroic tier. What monster would you suggest, and what, if any, changes to its existing stat block would you make? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here's the write up of a Radiant Idol's abilities from the 3.X Wiki:
Show

Radiant idols maintain most of the same abilities they had as angels. They have a wide array of spell-like abilities, have the ability to regenerate their wounds, and are immortal. All radiant idols are immune to acid, cold, and petrification, and all angels are highly resistant to electricity and fire. Radiant idols have darkvision, low-light vision, and the ability to speak any language. Like angels, radiant idols are surrounded by an aura; however, this aura has been corrupted, and it now inspires fear and awe in mortals around them.

Radiant idols will work specific magics upon those that worship them. They can perform a ritual of initiation, which they call the Blood Oath. This ties the worshiper to the radiant idol through magical and mental means. The ritual itself lasts for 2 hours, and afterwards, the radiant idol and its subject are mentally bonded. This allows the radiant idol to mentally communicate, locale, scry upon, torture, or even kill the worshiper. These abilities know no distance limit. Those successfully subjected to the ritual are enthralled by the idol, following their every word. There is no limit to the amount of people that a radiant idol can subject to the Blood Oath.

As part of their banishment from Syrania, radiant idols are also subjected to a curse when their wings are removed. Radiant idols cannot fly by any means, including magical ones. Any spells that grant flight to other creatures automatically fail when cast upon a radiant idol, and any magical effects that cause flight will fail within 30 feet of the radiant idol.

Should be fairly easy to make a conversion.

For the encounter with the Idol, do you want it to be a solo, elite or standard?

From my reading of it seems like it would make a good Elite + couple Standards + minions fight. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Yes, Elite is my thought as well, with an encounter laid out the way you propose.
Yes, Elite is my thought as well, with an encounter laid out the way you propose.

What level do you want it to be (and how many PCs) and I'll built it for you real fast.
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Well, that's awfully generous! Level 10. 5 PCs, low-mid optimization.
Radiant Idol (Personally I'd remove the regenerate, but I put it in there because you wanted it.  If you take it out, increase its HP by 10-20).
Show

Radiant Idol Level 10 Elite Soldier
Large Immortal Humanoid
HP: 200, Bloodied 100  Initiative: +8
AC: 26, Fort 22, Reflex 21, Will 23
Speed 6
Darkvision
Saving Throws: +2, Action Points: 1
Resists: 10 Radiant
Traits:
Regenerate 5
Aura 10 - Earthbinding Aur
Creatures who end their turn flying are knocked prone.  Any creature who flies while within the aura must end their turn on the ground or be knocked prone.

Standard Actions:
(Basic) Radiant Blade - At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature):+15 vs. AC
Hit: 2d8+9 radiant damage
Effect: Target is marked until the end if the Radiant Idol's next turn. 

Flames of the Fallen - Recharge when first Bloodied
Attack: Close Burst 1 (Enemies in Burst); +13 vs. Reflex
Hit: 4d8+7 fire damage or 4d8+12 fire damage against a bloodied target and the target is marked until the end if the Idol's next turn.

Double Attack - At-Will
Effect: The Radiant Idol makes two Radiant Blade attacks.

Minor Actions:
Command the Blood Oath - At-Will 1/Round
Effect: One ally within 10 squares can charge or make a basic attack as a free action.

Triggered Actions:
Command Fealty - Recharge when first Bloodied
Trigger: The Radiant Idol is the target of a critical hit.
Effect (Immediate Interrupt): An ally within 5 sqaures shifts it's speed.  If it ends adjacent to the Idol it becomes the target of the triggering attack instead.

Summon the Faithful - Encounter
Trigger: The Radiant Idol is first bloodied.
Effect (No Action): The Radiant Idol summons 4 Radiant Slaves into unoccupied squares within 5 squares of the Idol.

Radiant Demand
Trigger: An enemy that is marked by the Radiant Idol makes an attack that does not include the Idol as a target.
Effect (Immediate Interrupt): The target takes 10 radiant damage and is weakened until the end of the Idol's next turn.
Skills: Athletics +17, Insight +14, Intimidate +15, Religion +18

Standards
Show

Radiant Servant Level 10 Skirmisher
Medium Natural Humanoid
HP: 105; Bloodied: 52 Initiative: +12
AC: 24, Fort 23, Reflex 23, Will 20
Speed 6
Saving Throws: +2, Action Points: 1
Standard Actions
(Basic) Flashing Knives - At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (One creature): +15 vs AC
Hit: 3d8+5 damage or 3d8+10 damage with a charge attack.
Effect: After making the attack the Servant can shfit up to 2 squares.

Light of the False God - At-Will
Attack: Ranged 10 (one creature); +13 vs Will
Hit: 1d8+5 fire damage and ongoing 10 radiant damage (Save Ends).

Triggered Actions
Inner Fire - At-Will
Trigger: An enemy hits the Radiant Servant
Effect (Immediate Reaction): The Servant uses Light of the False God against the triggering enemy.  This attack does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Minions
Show

Radiant Slave Level 10 Minion 
HP:1 Initiative: +8
AC: 22, Fortitude: 22, Reflex: 21, Will 21
Speed: 8
Standard Action:
(Basic) Flashing Blade - At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (One creature): +15 vs AC
Hit: 9 damage or 15 damage with a charge attack.

Acolyte's Fervor - At-Will
Attack: Range 10 (One creature or Two Creatures): +15 vs AC
Hit: The target gains vulnerable 5 Radiant (Save Ends).

Show
Let me know if I missed anything / you need anything else.
Show
Need anything?!? This is amazing! Thanks so much!
Need anything?!? This is amazing! Thanks so much!

Anytime.
Show
Sign In to post comments