Need help with Doran, The Siege Tower

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay So I have one last deck to make to round out my collection of EDH (currently have 7 EDH and 1 Horde Deck) and this time it has to be one of my favorite arcs to play WBG.  now with Only 4 commanders possible in WBG i had a very tought choice until i looked a bit closer. 2 of them are Reanimators which I already have a deck for, 1 is Token and combo which I am sick of playing both tokens and combo and finally a controling tank by the name of Doran, the Siege Tower.  Now this guy seems to combine my favorite colors, type of creature, and is so unique in how people get to play with him.  Now I recently had spring break and was able to work quite a bit so I have money floating around to actually make this deck, (not a ton but enough).  

So here is my list prior to buying anything because I really want to only have to buy one time rather than multiple for the initial build.  So please help me with the deck and let me know if I missed somethign you ugys feel would be a great addition.  Currently the deck idea is such: Control the board state to a point and then win with creature beats.  I am avoiding Voltron and Combo becasue most of my other decks win by a combo or commander damage and I want this one to be different.   And with out further ado the Deck....

Power Controls
[deck] 

1 Meekstone

1 Crackdown

1 Marble Titan

1 Noetic Scales

1 Ensnaring Bridge

1 Aurification

[/deck]

Defensive boosts
[deck] 

1 Leyline of Vitality

1 Oathsworn Giant

1 Slagwurm Armor

1 Hero's Resolve

1 Bazaar Krovod

[/deck]

Board Wipes
[deck] 

1 Wave of Reckoning

1 Retribution of the Meek

[/deck] 

Ramp
[deck] 

1 Harrow

1 Explosive Vegetation

1 Cultivate

1 Utopia Tree

1 Birds of Paradise

1 Yavimaya Elder

1 Sakura-Tribe Elder

[/deck]

Mana Rocks
[deck] 

1 Sol Ring

1 Darksteel Ingot

1 Golgari Signet

1 Selesnya Signet

1 Orzhov Keyrune

1 Orzhov Signet

[/deck] 

Reanimation/ Reuse

[deck]
1 Eternal Witness

1 Deadwood Treefolk

1 Reveillark

1 Saffi Eriksdotter

1 Sun Titan

1 Order of Whiteclay

1 Beacon of Unrest

1 Crime // Punishment

[/deck] 

Card Advantage/ Tutors

[deck]
1 Sapling of Colfenor

1 Solemn Simulacrum

1 Birthing Pod

1 Knight of the Reliquary

1 Green Sun's Zenith

1 Viscera Seer

1 Treefolk Harbinger

[/deck] 

Removal
[deck] 

1 Qasali Pridemage

1 Sylvan Primordial

1 Lignify

1 Swords to Plowshares

1 Path to Exile

1 Oblation

1 Aura Shards

1 Go for the Throat

1 Silklash Spider

1 Return to Dust

1 Big Game Hunter

1 Dismember

[/deck]

Sacrifice Engine
[deck] 

1 Ashnod's Altar

1 Grave Pact

1 Butcher of Malakir

1 Savra, Queen of the Golgari

1 Animal Boneyard

1 Reassembling Skeleton

[/deck]

Stuff for Doran
[deck] 

1 Lightning Greaves

1 Swiftfoot Boots

1 Bosk Banneret

[/deck] 

Graveyard Clearing
[deck] 

1 Deathrite Shaman

1 Withered Wretch

[/deck]

Fun Creatures
[deck] 

1 Rhox Faithmender

1 Sworn Defender

1 Vampire Nighthawk

[/deck]

Land
[deck] 

1 Command Tower

1 Godless Shrine

1 Bojuka Bog

1 Isolated Chapel

1 Woodland Cemetery

1 Krosan Verge

1 Sunpetal Grove

1 Overgrown Tomb

1 Temple Garden

1 Verdant Catacombs

1 Tainted Wood

1 Tainted Field

1 Murmuring Bosk

1 Kor Haven

1 Oran-Rief, the Vastwood

9 Forest

4 Plains

4 Swamp

[/deck]

Sides note: I have tested the deck a few times now and it seems to run quite well. Nothing seems to be sitting in my hand everygame which is good.  Mana base seems to work fine.
I don't know your wallet size...so a general idea will be better.
Remove: Hero's Resolve--better buffs
Lignify--ashes to ashes or oblivion ring
Leyline of Vitallity: There are better cards
Reassembling Skeleton: far better creatures in your color pool
Ashnod's Altar: You don't have the creature base to take advantage--draw engine is better
Oran Reif the Vastwood: Put in the land that you pay 4 mana to add a counter on each creature

Add:
Vault of the Archangel
Draw power: necropotence, phyrexian arena, underworld connections, etc
Ramp: nature's lore, kodama's reach, farseek, skyshroud claim, etc. (3 color decks need more color fixing) 
Resurrection: oversold cemetary, reanimate, beacon of unrest, resurrection etc.

The adds are for consistency for draw, mana fixing with ramp spells (you have a better chance to draw what you need), and res bc res effects are often better and cheaper instead of playing a new creature. Your graveyard becomes an additional resource.
i dissagree with a couple with ucontrol

keep hero's resolve great card to bump doran or another dude

keep leyline can come out fast if you need it if not it's a great modifier for him and gives you life

@portalis-   personally I love both of those cards so I wouldn't be tossing them.  Hero's resolve makes it possiblt to turn any creature into a wrecking ball and the utility Leyline give me is just sooo nice.

@Ucontrol-  I forgot about Galvony township or what ever its name is. I will replace oran with it.  on ramp  My deck has such a low curve already that I have found I don't have too much of an issue with mana but i might toss 1 more ramp spell in just to ensure i never will.  and as for draw I forgot to put my Phyrexian Arena in the deck list woops....  I'll toss it in later.  And one point i will strongly disagree with is Ligunify.   That card has saved me quite a few times.  It elimiates an opponent's commander or makes a horrible creature, yes im looking at you consencrated sphinx, a lot easier to deal with.  yes they hit for 4 each turn but it one hell of a lot better than removing a general and it keeps the target off my back when i play it over prison term becasuse they still get a decent beater.
@ulka

These are suggestions for your deck. I don't lile most enchant creatures unless they have a better upside. They become a 2 for 1for your oppenent. I found beat sticks don't really work that well in edh...mutliplayer aspect. They dont do enough and if its big--ppl will take it or kill it (my playgroup experience). Try shield or the oversoul, or the wall that gives all creatures you control +0 +2 for 4 mana.

On the leyline, I enjoy basilisk collar more bc you walls and doran will benfit more from that than leyline--you will end up getting moreb life as well
Yeah Basilisk would be better i might try to pick one up later.   And sorry if i seemed to spaz on lignify.  just got in an argument a few days ago about the card.   I do appreiciate the advice though it really does help.  I mean I would have forgotten about phyrexian arena otherwise. 

I love lignify and the impromptu 0/4 beat stick you can make out of it, but I enjoy flexability the most (o-ring). I enjoy practical choice cards--primal/austere command, choice of damnations, exhumer exarch and such.
That new angel... Archangel of Strife might be fin with doran... watch people squirm over the much more difficult choice doran creates.

3DH4LIF3

ooooh....  I like the archangel of strife but i feel giving people +3 could be dangerous as most decks don't build with +o/+x in mind.  I'll probably get one and test it.
A good single pump for doran is crenellated wall I use it in my deck and pretty fun.

You can use wall of junk for a nice beater and if it lives it is very easy to recast
Sign In to post comments