Regenerate Clarification

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Say I have Experiment One with two +1/+1 counters on it and someone targets it with something like Searing Spear, at that point can I decide to regenerate Experiment One by paying the cost and have him survive or do I have to regenerate him before I know if they are going to destroy my creature or not?

Also if I regenerate does that mean all other +1/+1 counters and things like enchantments are removed (I assume there's a possibilty that Regenerate means that the creature takes a short trip to the graveyard) or will everything stay on the creature?
Say I have Experiment One with two +1/+1 counters on it and someone targets it with something like Searing Spear, at that point can I decide to regenerate Experiment One by paying the cost and have him survive or do I have to regenerate him before I know if they are going to destroy my creature or not?

You can regenerate in repsonse to the announcement of the Searing Spear (after he has already cast the spell and locked in your Experiment as the target).  This will replace its next destruction, and your now-smaller Experiment will live on.  Tapped now, and removed from combat if he was in a combat, but alive.

Also if I regenerate does that mean all other +1/+1 counters and things like enchantments are removed (I assume there's a possibilty that Regenerate means that the creature takes a short trip to the graveyard) or will everything stay on the creature?

A creature that regenerates makes no trip to the graveyard.  Auras and equipments and ciphered cards and counters remain as they were.  It never left play and is the same game object as it always was.  Contrast cards with Persist or Undying, where they do make a graveyard stopover and then that card comes back into play as a new game object with no memory of its prior existence.
you have to regenerate in response to whatever is trying to destroy
when it is actually being destroyed you don't get priority to regenerate

so you need to do it in response to Searing Spear in this case

when a creature regenerates it gets tapped, it's removed from combat and all damage marked on it is removed
it keeps all Auras, Equipment and counters
proud member of the 2011 community team
You would activate Experiment One's ability in response to Searing Spear. That is after Searing Spear is cast targeting your creature but before Searing Spear resolves.

Eperiment One does not leave the battlefield, so everything stays on. Instead of being destroyed, it is not.
This got me puzzled:
...someone targets it with something like Searing Spear, (...) do I have to regenerate him before I know if they are going to destroy my creature or not?

If they target your creature with the Spear, how could you «not know» they intend to destroy it?

Wizards of the Coast: NOT ANYMORE outsourced to Elbonia

The Searing Spear would now go to the graveyard after wouldn't it?

Even though Experiment One would be tapped after it's first regeneration, if I had the +1/+1 counters on it to do a second regenerate if need be would it be okay to do so?

I know these questions sound ridiculous and I'm 90% sure that I am right in both cases, I just want to be completely sure.

This got me puzzled:
...someone targets it with something like Searing Spear, (...) do I have to regenerate him before I know if they are going to destroy my creature or not?

If they target your creature with the Spear, how could you «not know» they intend to destroy it?

What I meant was do I have to regenerate before they cast the Searing Spear, therefore not being aware of what their plans are. 
yes, Searing Spear resolves as usual

you can activate Experiment One's ability as often as you can pay the cost
proud member of the 2011 community team
I think his basic question was "Did I have to set up the regeneration effect before my opponent declared a target for his spell?" - to which the answer is no, there is plenty of time after targetting is decided for you to create that shield.

Now, if the spear in question were replaced with a Sudden Shock (and Sudden Shock was dealing damage that would amount to lethal), then we'd have an "I needed to announce my regen effect before he announced his spell" situation.  
Thanks for all the help guys!
Sign In to post comments