New player wanting advice on best booster packs to buy

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi I.m a new player I have a 2013 intro pack and the deck buliders toolkit 2013 and now looking to buy some booster pack but don't know what are the best ones for me to buy

first off, boosters are about the worst way to get cards

with that out of the way, I'd recommend either Return to Ravnica or Gatecrash
deciding between those it depends which color combinations you like more
proud member of the 2011 community team
@Enigma - Frist, i am very, very new player as well. second, what would you recommend as the best option for getting cards...and if we were to go with either of the 2 boosters you meniton; what color combos would best for the 2 different boosters?
it depends what you want
if you just want a ton of cards to build casual decks go for playsets (4 copies)

a playset of all commons+uncommons of RTR or GTC runs you about $40-60, if I recall correctly that's about 700 cards

RTR has , , , and
GTC has , , , and
Pros of boosters:
- You accumulate more cards
- There is a lottery aspect to opening them, that some find enjoyable
- If you have someone to play Pack Wars with when you open them, you can add to their entertainment value; Pack Wars is also a great way to learn car mechanics
- They enable booster draft, another great way to collect cards and learn

Cons of boosters:
- You have to open an extraordinarily large number of boosters to get specific cards that work well in a deck design
- The price of a booster is, on average, less than the expected value of the cards it contains

Other good ways of buying cards:

- Buy a common/uncommon playset (4x of each common and each uncommon card in a specific expansion set) for $40-$60
- Buy single cards to construct a specific deck
- Play booster drafts: This will both get you cards and hone your skills; since you are drafting from booster packs, you have greater control over which cards you get, compared with just opening booster packs
boosters are pretty much a gamble. I buy a particular set based on the mechanics in it or the theme it goes by. Avacyn Restored is one of my favorite sets with some really fun mechanics and an engaging theme. for a new player, I would recommend getting the newer stuff as the other guys have said because you will be playing with the more current cards.

The best way to build a deck is to map it out and buy the singles from a store or online. You will otherwise buy tons of cards which become useless to you. It seems expensive (particularly if you want something nice like Thundermaw Hellkite) but the price of buying the card outright is always better than trying to find it in boosters.

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

When someone asks "which boosters should I buy", my immediate answer is "the ones for the set that has the cards in that you want". Buying boosters to get cards is usually a pretty bad way of doing it (unless you add value in some way, like by using the boosters for Limited, e.g. draft, sealed, packwars etc), but you dont even have a chance of getting the cards you want at all if you dont buy the right set.

So, which cards do you want, OP? Get those boosters.

~ Tim
p.s. use gatherer.wizards.com to look up what is in each set.    
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
thank you for the information/advice everyone...greatly appreciate it.
boosters are pretty much a gamble.

Agreed, but people do gamble.

Thanks for the advice wondering now if I should get the gatecrasher fat pack anyone think this will be more worth it than just buying the booster packs 
Fatpack is just 9 boosters and some basic lands
get it if you need the land, but don't expect to break even on the boosters

if you enjoy the lottery aspect of opening boosters, go for it
it is fun and addictive, it's just not the most economical way to get cards. but you can't put a price on fun
I like the fat packs, they make great storage boxes, I like having the Player's Guide, and they're good for getting basic land, which you often need as a beginner (eventually you will have more land than you know what to do with). However, in terms of getting cards (other than basic land), you're still just getting booster packs.
I dont care for the Ravnica plane back in Ravnica: City of Guilds, and i dont now in Return to Ravnica, that being daid, buy Return to Ravnica and Gatecrash packs, if you get any "Shocklands"(a dual colored rare land that comes into play tapped unless you choose to lose 2 life as you play it) almost evereyone is looking to get thier hands on them for their decks. if you run a bi color deck, you can either trade the shockland for one that fits your color combination, because there is a shockland for every single bi color combination, and each color combination (guild) in the Ravnica plane has a certain ability that fits with the colors of the guild. sooooo sorry to rample on but youre new and i like talking haha, oh and the shocklands are around 10$ apiece right now, very common rares in packs (i opened 6 RTR booster packs and 4 had shocklands) and they are highly desirable by almost everyone right now. So, id buy some RTR and GC packs and try to trade away the cards you dont need for stuff you do a GREAT website for checking card prices thats ALWAYS accurate is Ark42, Google "Ark42 mtg price history" go to the link, search the card, select what set your copy or the one you want is from (given that the card has been reprinted) and then select if itis foil or not, and Presto! you have the card's price history in your hands to make sure you dont get jipped in a trade or jip someone else (unless youre that kinda dude) go to my account and message me if you want any more help bro. sorry again for this huge post :/
In general, if you're buying packs, you will want to get the most recent packs. The newer cards are usually in higher demand, so they're easier to use for trades.
i agree fully with silasw, get new packs, anything in standard is desirable right now (Innistrad, Dark Ascension, Avacyn Restored, M13, Return to Ravnica, and Gatecrash. Dragon's Maze will be in here when it is released soon also.)