DLCR: Soul Ransom

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays GTC card to rate is...

Soul Ransom

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

This is a tough one to rate.  Mind Control style cards are always powerful in limited.  And this one can be very good, however the opponent has the ability to ditch cards to destroy it.  Granted the opponent draws 2 cards as well though.

Grr this one is tough.

Discuss! 
This is a 4.0 for me (For reference, Mind Control is a 4.5) This works out to either Mind Control, or a 4 card swing in your favor. If you can't win with that, you are typically in a situation where nothing will save you. Most opponents I have played against just take the 4 card swing at the first available opportunity -- getting a 4 card swing for 4 CMC should generally net you the game unless you are killed before you can play them.
4.25 for me

Just re-echoing what Bobus said. And I've played this later in the game when opponent had no cards in hand, I take their best creature and there's nothing they can do about it.
4.25 for me Just re-echoing what Bobus said. And I've played this later in the game when opponent had no cards in hand, I take their best creature and there's nothing they can do about it.

This is a tricky format. I like to keep 1 card in hand at all times (typically my last land), so my opponent doesn't know I am helpless, and so that if Soul Ransom is played I have the opportunity to get my creature back the following turn. Yet recently I lost a game to Undercity Plague that I would have won if I'd just had the additional permanent to sack!
Strong 4.0.  An opponent's best creature or a net three card swing at 4 mana?  Sign me up.
Anytime I've played it, Ive had a sac outlet (usually a Barricade, sometimes an Informer). So it ends up a true Mind Control if the creature isn't immediately game changing, or a borderline unrecoverable card swing.

1 for 5 deal backbreaking (opponent discards 2, you draw 2, creature gets sac'd). Even without sac, if you play it when they are on an empty hand, you've got time to mess around with it before they grab it back. Played on the curve they are going to be giving up cards they actually need. I love this card, now that I've actually used it.

4 seems about right.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge