Magic 2014: Duels of the Planeswalkers Announced

1195 posts / 0 new
Last post

Wizards of the Coast has announced Magic 2014: Duels of the Planeswalkers. Magic 2014 will be available on Android for the first time, as well as iPad, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC.

Magic 2014 will add 10 new decks, 15 new encounters, 10 new puzzle challenges, a new game mode and a first look at cards coming in summer 2013’s core set of Magic cards.

According to Wizards, “Magic 2014: Duels of the Planeswalkers will offer players exciting new features as they partner with Planeswalker Chandra Nalaar to track down a manipulative and dangerous Planeswalker foe.”

“The Magic: The Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers franchise has been engaging and exciting gamers since we launched in 2009 and continues to be the best way for new players to learn how to play Magic,” said Magic executive producer Worth Wollpert. “This year, with the addition of a fifth platform – Android – along with new features and a more focused integration between online and offline play, we continue to deliver a best-in-class gaming experience.”

On September 7th, Wizards will hold its third Magic Celebration, an “an end-of-summer Magic Celebration that brings all Magic fans together in stores across the world.” Magic Celebration will allow players to gather at participating stores for “a day of no-charge Magic play.”

Magic 2014 will be playable at the Magic: The Gathering booth at PAX East this weekend.

www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/21/magic-20...

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

Wow...this weekend.  Too bad no one in the games media other than WingspanTT ever seems interested in showing demos of DOTP.  
Sweet.  I hope we get some good looks at a couple decks, maybe some decklists even!

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

Given that announcement and the fact that it's now on android, I think there's a snowball's chance in hell that they'll fix any of the basic game mechanics. But I'll still buy it I guess. Wink
September?
They usually release in June
I think it is a separate event.  DotP2014 is still being released in June.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Due my data lost, I lost all interest in DOTP 2013, but I found a good article about 2014.

Here it is:

www.examiner.com/article/steam-achieveme...

Something new appears to be coming. Slivers... and more.

Edit: Try again. 
The link doesn't seem to beworking for some reason.

ooh, deck names
"Chant of Mul Daya" deck
"Sliver Hive" deck
"Enter the Dracomancer" deck
"Masks of the Dimir" deck
"Avacyn’s Glory" deck

must be the 5 decks in the pax demo
Wow...this weekend.  Too bad no one in the games media other than WingspanTT ever seems interested in showing demos of DOTP.  

That's why we love WingspanTT. Support his site!

At least it seems the achievements are right this time.
I like the idea of teaming up with Chandra to snuff out your enemy. This seems like they are moving in the direction I had hoped which is utilizing the lore to create an interesting and story driven campaign. I loved the encounters so I'm glad they are back.
I like the idea of teaming up with Chandra to snuff out your enemy. This seems like they are moving in the direction I had hoped which is utilizing the lore to create an interesting and story driven campaign. I loved the encounters so I'm glad they are back.

Encounters. No, I didn't like them, at least most of them. But if they are better and harder... who knows?

And about the article. I just think the article author confounded what a sealed campaign must be. 

I didn't dislike the encounters, and they did get harder as the game progressed.  I agree about being pumped about having a REAL Campaign (or at least we are thinking it is atm).  That would be really cool.  I am always pumped about the new DotP but with the new achievments that actually seem to have some meaning and some sort of Sealed element added....this sounds awesome and I am super pumped now.  Can't wait to see what we learn this weekend!

I wonder if the "Chant of Mul Daya" deck features Mul Daya Channelers.
If so, 2014 might have a mana pool.

Some of my favourite cards in magic are mana producers, and a mana pool would get me really excited.

"Bloodless Triumph
Win a game while dealing no combat damage to a player"
This achievement is also interesting, because it suggests that they included a deck that doesn't win through damage.

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Probably another mill deck, but you never know.  I agree about the mana pool thing.  Signs are really looking like we will have that introduction into 2014.

What if DOTP had instead of player and ranked matches, had normal and advanced matches? Normal can be like what 2013 is, and advanced can be like paper magic and have a mana pool, etc. Might be a cool way to take newbies and get them ready for paper.
maybe a seal deck in DOTP 2014 , read it somewhere in an article about achievements

Is a June release confirmed?
It is always June, on a Weds.  They don't have any plans of changing that as far as I know.

Yeah, the game will probably release in June, just like all other Duels games before.

Information I got from the screenshots:

- "planeswalking" to different planes remains in the campaign. For example you can see Innistrad on one of the screens.
- Next to the graveyard of the zombie encounter deck, there is another card. Probably a new pile for exiled cards.
- Garruk's new deck is called "Hunter's Strength" and is again a rather slow green fatty deck.
- The deck "Avacyn's Glory" features [C]Silverblade Paladin[/C]. This means the mechanic soulbond is in Duels14
- Cards seen in Chandra's deck: [C]Fire Elemental[/C], [C]Flames of the Firebrand[/C], [C]Pilgrim's Eye[/C], [C]Searing Spear[/C], [C]Chandra's Outrage[/C], [C]Crimson Mage[/C]
- Finally new artwork for basic lands!

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

Nice list you crazy piece of toast!  Thanks for the info!!!  Man this is looking awesome.  Is it June yet?

"Bloodless Triumph
This achievement is also interesting, because it suggests that they included a deck that doesn't win through damage.

That could just be a new mill deck...
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
"Bloodless Triumph

That could just be a new mill deck...

Or burn deck. It only ix-nays *combat* damage.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

I hope is something more creative then just burning someone's face. There are still ways to win a game in 2013 that doesn't include milling or  damage to win.
I hope is something more creative then just burning someone's face. There are still ways to win a game in 2013 that doesn't include milling or  damage to win.

Well I had in another speculative thread mentioned it might be Darksteel Reactor or Helix Pinnacle, due in part to the Counter Crazy achievement.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

- "planeswalking" to different planes remains in the campaign. For example you can see Innistrad on one of the screens.
- Next to the graveyard of the zombie encounter deck, there is another card. Probably a new pile for exiled cards.
- Garruk's new deck is called "Hunter's Strength" and is again a rather slow green fatty deck.
- The deck "Avacyn's Glory" features [C]Silverblade Paladin[/C]. This means the mechanic soulbond is in Duels14
- Cards seen in Chandra's deck: [C]Fire Elemental[/C], [C]Flames of the Firebrand[/C], [C]Pilgrim's Eye[/C], [C]Searing Spear[/C], [C]Chandra's Outrage[/C], [C]Crimson Mage[/C]

What screenshots are you looking at?

What screenshots are you looking at?

Screenshots are from Examiner.com

I also found this screenshot which is slightly different:

www.pocketgamer.co.uk/artwork/na-ykhf/ma...

I can't tell which card is in the graveyard of the Skirsdag Cultists encounter.

I wonder if they'll do a pre-release purchase like they did with DotP 2013 (can't recall if they did that for 2012). And I'll be darn sure to back up my steam directory.
New info from dh50's link:
- Firewave deck: [C]Chandra's Phoenix[/C], [C]Torch Fiend[/C], [C]Sulfuric Vortex[/C] [C]Skarrgan Firebird[/C], the Avatar of Skirsdag Cultists is a common human creature (also a brand new card in M14).
- There's a counter for cards in your graveyard now next to the library counter and cards in hand counter

The pheonix in Chandra's hand looks like the Skarrgan Firebird to me, although it is hard to tell.
Yeah, I was going to say...that's either an M14 card or one made specifically for Duels 2014. If there'd been a 5/6 flier in Black with a removal ETB ability, I'm sure I'd have known of it by now. Heh.

@dh50
Damn, I hoped it's a new phoenix. Firebird is just bad

@GodofAtheism
It's a new card which will be in M14 Core Set. Definitely not bad, I would say constructed playable in the right deck with [C]Geralf's Messenger[/C], [C]Blood Artist[/C] and stuff. His ETB effect is really good!

2 more screenshots here:

www.gamereactor.eu/images/?productid=293...

Nothing really new, but there's a screen featuring Lava Axe, Firewing Phoenix and Cone of Flame in Chandra's deck, and there's another screen featuring Garruk's Companion, Nature's Lore and part of an artifact I don't recognize in Garruk's deck.

Edit: also one thing to note is that in one of Crazy Toast's screenshots, Garruk's deck says 0/30 cards unlocked.

Edit 2 - and 2 more screenshots from a different examiner article:

www.examiner.com/slideshow/duels-of-the-...

--shows a Prey Upon and 2 cards I don't recognize in Garruk's hand
--shows a Pillar of Flame in Chandra's graveyard, as well as the Skarrgan Firebird, 2 copies of another card (maybe another phoenix or elemental) that I don't recognize, and an artifact on Chanda's board that I don't recognize (a fist holding a red rod or scepter or something)
Pax is tomorrow, hope Wingspantt go so we have a look at the demo

Here is the Pax streaming schedule
blog.twitch.tv/2013/03/everything-you-ne...
This is only the main events though, will be lots of other stream
Magic The Gathering Panel on saturday

Here is a cosplayer
twitter.com/chinbeard/status/31450502523...

more cosplay
twitter.com/Katersoneseven/status/314475...

Nice, yet i can come back again for another round Laughing
But i must say, i'm not very impressed. The cards we see are well known and Chandra in the mainrole.... meh. Maybe burndecks are allways the same, but new stuff would be nice. I hope the daemon deck and the dragon deck would be nice, i have high hopes on them.

By the way, the interface look awesome ! This orange fire symbols fit very well to the cold blue stone playfield, i like it. It remind me of TRON

here is a MTG fansite covering the news
mtg-realm.blogspot.ca/2013/03/dotp-2014-...
I would guess some of these cards may be placeholders to prevent spoilers.

Not only do the Chandra and Garruk decks contain mostly the same cards as in 2013, but Chandra has a Pilgrim's Eye. Why would they put land fetch in a mono-Red deck?

The title splash even says "Demo Build" on it, so unless they want to start spoiling M14 before the hype for Dragon's Maze has even started, then I reckon some of the cards will be substitutes and the preview will concentrate more on the new mechanics than accurate decklists.
Looking at those pics we might be getting a new color specific artifact cycle in M14. Chandra's deck has an artifact on the field which besides Ruby Medallion is rare for red. Garruk's deck also appears to have something similar. Both look like an axe or sword. Of course the art means nothing really seeing as how we got 2 games in a row with new and different medallion art and the closest in fuctionality recently has been Goblin Electromancer. Interested to see what this weekend has in store for us.
Sign In to post comments