Arcane Recovery: just an extra spell slot...

There is no difference between Arcane Recovery and an extra spell slot at each level of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Why did they waste the space? Smile
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
There is a difference. Extra 1st-3rd spell slots would allow you extra casting in a single large encounter, while Arcane Recovery is more focused on providing extra power for additional encounters on the same day.
Difference is minimal enough that I am not sure why its there.  

My mind is a deal-breaker.

It's a hack solution to mages going nova in the first encounter, then wanting to rest. Basically an unaccessible spell slot during the first encounter. That way you can go at least 2 encounters before you are out of spells.

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

I thought it was a nice little solution to grant you a little additional endurance over multiple fights while not boosting the amount of nova you can do in a single fight
Maybe it's a "hack" but I like it. The Oak druid has the same ability, while the Moon druid gets more combat-focused wildshapes. I think it's an elegant solution.
I agree with Veggie.  There have been numerous objections to mages using all their spells slots then stopping.  Other posters sometimes reference the 10 minute workday.  I think Arcane Recovery is a good solution to that.
There is no difference between Arcane Recovery and an extra spell slot at each level of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Why did they waste the space?

It might not be the neatest fix, but I'm okay with it. It forces you to gain the slot after a rest, and because to simulate that with an extra slot you'd have +1 1st level slot, until you got 2nd level spells, at which point you'd lose a slot and one would be added to 2nd level, etc.

Not perfect, but not a real problem. 
I want to know why it is so limited, I almost think starting at 9th (when you get 5th lv spells) you s should get to recall a 4th, and at 12th level a 5th
Another difference from just having an extra slot is you can recall certain spells you think you may have to use next encounter, than what you may have use the next day.  It adds more spells per day, limits nova abilities, and flexibility the day of.
Basically this prevents nova from the wizard.

The wizard gets a bonus spell or three after and encounter. For the first 5 levels, it will be one of your stronger spells. After level 6 or so, you have too many spells to nova effectiely.

Add in concentration to prevent stacking buffs and the party will be out of HP before  high level wizard will be out of meaningful spells

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

A better solution would be to allow casters to select slots that can be used once per encounter but deal half damage or grant advantage on saves or disadvantage on the magic attack used with the spell. This would keep people from novaing and it would allow those that want encounter powers to have them. Why is it so hard for the developers to understand this? Smile
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
Ehhhhh, too complicated. This fix works, because it's simple to understand and doesn't decrease/increase a wizard's power in a single fight. It increases his staying power over the course of the adventuring day. He will feel less compelled to "hoard" his spells for the boss fight, since if he waits that long, he will have an extra unused spell afterwards.
After more thought, I think they are too soon.  When you get a new level of spell (2-6) you should get a recall of the level before.

So at 3rd level you can recall 1st
at 5th you can recall 1 1st and 1 second
at 7th you can recall 1 1st 1 second and 1 third
at 9th you can recall 1 1st 1 second 1 third and 1 fourth
at 11th I would break the pattern and begin saying 1 third, 1 fourth, and 2 first or second 

at 13th you could recall 1 fourth and 3 first second or third
at 15th you could recall 4 spells of level first through fourth
at 17th you could recall 4 spells of level first through fourth and 1 fifth level spell

Heck I might even go so far to say at level 12 or 14 take 1 first level spell of your choice and remake it a cantrip, then at 16 or 18 let you do the same to a 2nd level spell  

After more thought, I think they are too soon.  When you get a new level of spell (2-6) you should get a recall of the level before.

So at 3rd level you can recall 1st
at 5th you can recall 1 1st and 1 second
at 7th you can recall 1 1st 1 second and 1 third
at 9th you can recall 1 1st 1 second 1 third and 1 fourth
at 11th I would break the pattern and begin saying 1 third, 1 fourth, and 2 first or second 

at 13th you could recall 1 fourth and 3 first second or third
at 15th you could recall 4 spells of level first through fourth
at 17th you could recall 4 spells of level first through fourth and 1 fifth level spell

Heck I might even go so far to say at level 12 or 14 take 1 first level spell of your choice and remake it a cantrip, then at 16 or 18 let you do the same to a 2nd level spell  

+1 I like this progression a lot! Especially the turning of 1st and 2nd level spells into Cantrips eventually. Eventually those lower level spells should become so rote they are at-will at their weakest form (but you can still cast them in a higher slot for more effect)

Want continued support for 4e, check this out, 4e Lives and Breaths

Check out MY eZine, Random Encounters Seuss (lordseussmd on YM)
How about if it's you can recover X spells of Y level Z times a day.

more elgantly: 
02: Arcane Recovery (1 spell, level 1, 1/day)
04: Increased Recovery (2/day)
06: Improved Recovery (level 2)
08: Greater Recovery (2 spells)
10: Increased Recovery (3/day)
12: Improved Recovery (level 3)
14: Greater Arcane Recovery (3 spells)
16: Increased Recovery (4/day)
18: Improved Recovery (Level 4)
20: Supreme Recovery (Unlimited times per day)

I would have a similar set up so during each short rest you can only recover one of the highest level. To counter the vast number of spells this gives you, I might alter cantrips so that you can only cast a set number during each encounter, and they fully reset during each short rest.

Optionally, I'd then alter cantrips to give you bonuses if you use a higher level spell slot to cast them, for wizards only. If you use a level 1 spell slot, any dice rolls, points healed, etc, gets a +1 bonus (healing 1pt = 2pts, 1d8 = 1d8+1), if you use a level 2 spot, it either doubles the range, the duration, or allows an additional target, 3rd level might give you an extra dice if you are rolling one, or +1 DC, and level four adds an additional effect. Actually, I would have that based on your school of wizardry. So evocation might increase damage, or let you play with the damage type, illusion might let you cast silently, or make distant touch effects, etc.

Maybe it's a bit overly complicated, but that's part of the fun of being a wizard right? You don't pick a wizard if you want a simple class. Wizards are the crazy type of magician that would cast mage hand as a level 4 spell, and because of them being an evoker and having certain feats, and being of a certain level, they would use it to beat a guy with flaming punches. An abjucation wizard might similarly cast mage armor and gain fire resistance, and have it last an extra turn and deal cold damage to anyone who attacks them. I am going out on a limb here, and I doubt much if any of my ideas will ever see the light of day in DnD, but is it a bad thing to want to change things up radically, and create something that isn't a slightly altered cherrypicking of previous versions?
Sign In to post comments