Jund Sligh?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm bored, so here is a decklist:

So, I don't have any badlands, which sucks because I do like this color combination. What you see is what I have in terms of the manabase, and I figure with the amount of fetches I have along with the duals that I DO have, it should be passable. Only 18 because the curve is really low. I am a bit worried this won't be enough though, should I go up to 20?

I also don't have goyfs, so I put quirion dryad in. I know she is ancient tech, but if she isn't dealt with she gets pretty big, and honestly she works decent with DRS and lavamancer eating my yard all the time.

It probably still dies to combo, but I have SOME ways to fight them: duress and cabal therapy. Duress is because I don't have thoughtseize (which, btw, has ballooned in price!) and it is almost as good. Therapy is pretty awesome in the deck. Lots of extra weenies to sac and synergy with Keldon Marauders. I'm worried about terrible topdecks though, maybe I should drop a few of the targeted discard?

I've got 8 burn spells + abrupt decay for removal, which I think is pretty good. Combine the burn with lavamancer and DRS, the deck has some good reach.

The Sideboard seems like crap. Do I run hymn to tourach? More removal? More gravehate? Chalice of the void? I just don't know.

It isn't really like the midrange jund lists right now. It is more aggressive and explosive at the cost of versatility. But I like it.

Thoughts?

"There are some who call me...Tim?" Go Duke! I apologize for my lack of grammar, spelling, and coherence in my posts. Former Member: Team ABS

I am knowledgable about non-rotating formats. I usually have no idea about Standard.

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/

I'm bored, so here is a decklist:

So, I don't have any badlands, which sucks because I do like this color combination. What you see is what I have in terms of the manabase, and I figure with the amount of fetches I have along with the duals that I DO have, it should be passable. Only 18 because the curve is really low. I am a bit worried this won't be enough though, should I go up to 20?

I also don't have goyfs, so I put quirion dryad in. I know she is ancient tech, but if she isn't dealt with she gets pretty big, and honestly she works decent with DRS and lavamancer eating my yard all the time.

It probably still dies to combo, but I have SOME ways to fight them: duress and cabal therapy. Duress is because I don't have thoughtseize (which, btw, has ballooned in price!) and it is almost as good. Therapy is pretty awesome in the deck. Lots of extra weenies to sac and synergy with Keldon Marauders. I'm worried about terrible topdecks though, maybe I should drop a few of the targeted discard?

I've got 8 burn spells + abrupt decay for removal, which I think is pretty good. Combine the burn with lavamancer and DRS, the deck has some good reach.

The Sideboard seems like crap. Do I run hymn to tourach? More removal? More gravehate? Chalice of the void? I just don't know.

It isn't really like the midrange jund lists right now. It is more aggressive and explosive at the cost of versatility. But I like it.

Thoughts?

Can you replace Ape and Dryad with some bigger threats? Tombstalkers or Vexing Devils for example. The former do need double though, and they clash with the Lavamancers. The latter are a Burn staple.

I think the sideboard could use some Sulfuric Vortex, replacing Dismember, which I think is redundant. In fact, a few undiscriminate burn spells like Vortex or Price of Progress could probably be maindecked. Terminate is generally better than Dismember anyway.

I recommend against running Chalice because you can't set it at 1 or 2. Well, you can, but it's just going to hurt yourself. The combo hate that you already have makes sense, I would leave it as is.
In Legacy, Blue is the best color. Let's punish blue, in Modern. And they listened!
I guess kird ape just doesn't get there anymore eh? Kinda sad to see him go...

Anyway, I was able to pick up 3 vexing devil, so they can go in along with another land. 22 creatures is still pretty aggressive, but I think I need the extra land because I have no deck manipulation and I need 2-3 land drops, if not one more.

I like the dryad though. I saw her used in a junk deck once and she really pulled her weight. I'll keep her in for now.

I was thinking of maybe dropping 2 targetted discard (one of each) for 2 sylvan library to add some manipulation. Might slow the deck down, but I do remember running it in Zoo back in the day.

For the Sideboard, maybe I'll put in PoP? I'll see if I can find some sulfuric vortex. Would pyrostatic pillar be any good?

"There are some who call me...Tim?" Go Duke! I apologize for my lack of grammar, spelling, and coherence in my posts. Former Member: Team ABS

I am knowledgable about non-rotating formats. I usually have no idea about Standard.

I think pyrostatic is a good meta choice. You'll catch a ton of decks off guard and can probably just beat storm with it. 
Inquisition of Kozilek is another TS alternative to consider.
Inquisition of Kozilek is another TS alternative to consider.

I currently don't have any. Surgical Extraction is at the top of the list right now though. IoK is probably next, because it gets just about everything besides Jace and Tendrils.

Going back to pyrostatic pillar, do Legacy storm decks run multiples of tendrils? Because if they don't, pillar WILL wreck them.

So, here is an updated list:

Not sure if ancient grudge should become something else (perhaps the last of the targetted discard), but I think it is starting to look pretty good.

I'm a little worried about keeping threats on the board. Vexing devil might just be a direct damage spell most of the time; marauders might only be good for 2 damage here and there; and besides dryad most of my threats a kinda weenie. I could try the tombstalker idea, but that seems both mana intensive and counter-intuitive with DRS and lavamancer. Without testing, does anyone think I'll have issues with keeping critters on the board?

So, I just picked up a playset of IoK. In an open meta, is it usually strictly better than duress? Should I run IoK over duress here? Or is it better than cabal therapy since therapy makes me go in blind?

I like IoK in the main for hitting early creatures like Stoneforge & Goyf (and Delver/Mongoose/DRS on the play). Duress I've seen more in the sideboard as additional disruption vs. combo.
I like IoK in the main for hitting early creatures like Stoneforge & Goyf (and Delver/Mongoose/DRS on the play). Duress I've seen more in the sideboard as additional disruption vs. combo.

Alrighty, I'll do that. 3 IoK in the main, 2 duress in the board.

Wow, it's been three months...well, I'm still working on the deck.

After doing some casual stuff with scavenge, I realized that haste is really underrated and adds a ton of aggressiveness to the deck. Playing creatures with haste helps you make up for the lost tempo of turn 1 discard, especially if you wiff with a therapy, or discover you need to play the beat down.

So, with that in mind I was thinking of the following changes:

- 4 Quirion Dryad
- 4 Keldon Marauders

+4 Strangleroot Geist
+4 Dreg Mangler

With all my duals producing green I doubt will be a problem. And with some accel in the form of DRS, as well as sylvan library helping with manipulation, I don't think I need to worry too much about getting to 3 mana.

That's 12 guys with haste, which allows me to apply the pressure really easily, and regain pressure after a wipe faster.

Also, with OmniTell out there, I think I want 3 krosan grip in the board. Probably in place of pyrostatic pillar.

I wish I could try this out in a tournament.

Another tweak:

Added the bloodbraids and flinthoof boars because I've become obsessed with haste lately. With more 3cc and 4cc stuff I added 2 birds of paradise.
Not sure this is the right direction, but I still have 8 burn + 3 abrupt decay to remove blockers. 6 discard to speedbump combo. And a ton of aggressive creatures to bum-rush control.

I liked your first list better.

Boar, Mangler and BoP all seem out of place/bad. 

Casual Play Archetypes | The Casual Play FAQ: A Guide to the Game of Magic | The Return of Group-Make-A-Deck!

Contributions are welcomed!

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  

I liked your first list better.

Boar, Mangler and BoP all seem out of place/bad. 

Yeah, boar and BoP aren't really working. Mangler has been pretty solid, but he might be worse than boar sometimes. I don't think BBE is good here either. She rocks in more mainstream Jund lists, but not here.

Honestly, I'm just trying to put a list together that is viable without goyf....which isn't easy in today's environment. 

Does this list want 1 or 2 Maelstrom Pulse? Seems like Leyline of Sanctity would be problematic and Abrupt Decay can't answer it. Universal removal is almost always relevant.
Does this list want 1 or 2 Maelstrom Pulse? Seems like Leyline of Sanctity would be problematic and Abrupt Decay can't answer it. Universal removal is almost always relevant.

You mean MD?

I've got at least 3 krosan grip in the SB (just for that reason), but that might not be enough. 

Yeah, I meant in the main. I think the sheer number of things worth hitting warrants it. 3 SB Krosan Grips might be fine to go with your main deck removal though.
Sign In to post comments