March update to DDI tools?

163 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anybody know what happened to the DDI update that was supposed to happen on March 19th?
I poked Trevor about it.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Did I ignore the update, or has it not happened yet?
They obviously haven't done the update yet -- this is the month that hobgoblins and bladelings are supposed to get their alternate bonus stats.  They clearly don't have them yet.

So what is going on with the March update?

I expect it tomorrow. 

Yan
Montréal, Canada

I expect it tomorrow. 

If that works, can you poke Trevor about the September 2012 errata? And the October 2012 errata? And the November 2012 errata? And the December 2012 errata? And the January 2013 errata? And the February 2013 errata? Last I recall, we were told that they were rolling the September, October and November erratas into the December errata, and then nothing.

Back in December over on the Errata Boards  WoTC_Trevor wrote:

You may have noticed that we haven't released an errata update recently. We have continued to monitor the errata coming in from the community, and over the past few months, there hasn't been enough material to justify a release. We have also been doing a second review of past releases, but at this point, we've covered a majority of fixes.

As a result, we're moving toward a system of updates in which we'll correct issues when we have enough material to merit a release, rather than once per month.

Please continue to post up any errors you find in the forums here, or through the help site and we will address them in a future update.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

BS.  Two years ago they asked what needed fixing, and got pages of responses.  I can't wait for Christmas around those parts.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

I poked Trevor about it.

Did you ever actually get an answer from him?  Still no Character Builder update.

At least we now know why there have been no rules updates since this summer.

No word yet. I will let you guys know if i hear anything.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

No word yet. I will let you guys know if i hear anything.

I'm assuming that no news is no news.  Would this imply a double-update for April?

Would like to build my Hobgoblin in the Character Builder... shame it's not in there yet :/
yeah...taking quite awhile...
I poked Dragonette since i didn't hear from Trevor.

Hopefully we'll hear from one of them this week. 

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Poor 4e, is she left to moulder already?  Are the staff too busy re-inventing wheels and calling them Next?
There's like two bits of crunch a month and they can't even keep it updated.
Look at the bright side.  We all understand that 4e has taken a back seat to Next at this point.  If you just learn to temper your expectations then you can think of it as a pleasant surprise whenever something new happens for 4e.  That's the way it's going to be from now on.  I still love 4e; I just don't expect anything new for it out of WoTC, ever.  Fortunately I have enough 4e goodness to last virtually forever. 

I'll just be happy at this point if they keep the online tools going up until Next is released.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

i still hope they keep the dnd 4e character bbuilder up, or at least offer it as a offline downloadable option for current subcribers.
i still hope they keep the dnd 4e character bbuilder up, or at least offer it as a offline downloadable option for current subcribers.

Me too.  At the very least, I hope I can download the database toward the end to archive and import into Hero Lab, since IMO that's the 2nd best character builder for 4e out there.

The CB has spoiled me.  I got a Blackmoor 4e book recently and realized OH NOZ, I have to build my Mystic BY HAND!  The HORROR! 

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

As a paying customer I would really like an official answer on why the tools have not been updated. The amount of insider content has plummeted in the last 6 months and the very least they could do is update the tools with the little bit of content we do get. If they can't be bothered to do that, I can't be bothered to keep paying them. I really like reading the magazines, especially Dungeon, but if push comes to shove I'll do what Frothsof said and wait a year, subscribe for a month and then DL them all.

C'mon WotC, you can do better than this.
Dragonette said she'll poke around and see what she can find out. 

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Hey gang. Sorry for not getting back to this sooner. With moving back into the office and settling back in this one slipped off my radar (thanks to plague and everybody else who pinged me on it).

As for a March update – there obviously isn’t/wasn’t one. While Dungeon and Dragon magazine updates remain as monthly releases with new 4th Edition content, our work on new content and product offerings means that some minor changes may occur to the release schedule of new content into the tools. I’ll do some digging and see if I can find any info on when the next update will be and get that to you.

Trevor Kidd Community Manager

Hey gang. Sorry for not getting back to this sooner. With moving back into the office and settling back in this one slipped off my radar (thanks to plague and everybody else who pinged me on it).

As for a March update – there obviously isn’t/wasn’t one. While Dungeon and Dragon magazine updates remain as monthly releases with new 4th Edition content, our work on new content and product offerings means that some minor changes may occur to the release schedule of new content into the tools. I’ll do some digging and see if I can find any info on when the next update will be and get that to you.

Thanks Trevor!  Let's hope April DDI Update is not late and has both updates content loaded so we're back on schedule

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Does the reduction in services mean we'll see a reduction in subscription price? If we're getting less content shouldn't we also be paying less?
3 weeks to get someone to say they don't know what is going on. Undecided
Woof, how disappointing.  This whole Next rollout has been less than inspiring.
What about the latest season of Encounters? Will there be any support for that in the builder?
What about the latest season of Encounters? Will there be any support for that in the builder?

It's already there.  Everything is kosher with this next season.  Just make a third level character using the home campaign option.
3 days later, no new info. Clueless.
About the only way they could improve my current foul mood about the missed update would be if they told us that they ran into some delays in their attempt to restore the off-line version of the Character Builder.  Now might be a good time to do that, especially if DDI Insider subscriptions are dropping off.  I am sure there would be a spike in subscriptions if word got out that Wizards did that.

But at this point I am expecting something equally dramatic but less pleasant, such as reducing the rate of CB updates to every three months or something like that.

So its been another week. Any idea if there will be an April update? Any information at all about the service we are paying you for? Is there someone else who might have an idea about when you will get around to updating your paid services?

Do you think this has been handled professionally? How do you think a professional company would handle this situation? Do you think they would just disappear for another week into la-la land? Like you did?

Does anyone there have a clue about DDI software updates? Do you know their name? How far is their office from yours? Can someone walk to their cubicle and ask them a simple question? Or email them? Give me their email, I will do it myself, I am tired of waiting.

How many weeks do you think it should take to get an answer on this? Seriously. How many weeks do you think is sensible to wait for an answer to this?
I'm 3 months into a 1 year subscription, and I'm already regretting my re-subscription. By the time my next renewal notices come out, I'm expecting to cancel due to a very poor ratio of entertainment and/or usefulness per dollar.
Its inexcusable to not have an answer at this point. D&D is the only business that gets away with operating this way. I get better customer service at the DMV.

Silence like this usually indicates that something big is going to happen but no one wants to make the announcement just yet.  Make of that what you will.

Silence like this usually indicates no one is listening.
I'm 3 months into a 1 year subscription, and I'm already regretting my re-subscription. By the time my next renewal notices come out, I'm expecting to cancel due to a very poor ratio of entertainment and/or usefulness per dollar.

You can cancel at any time and get a refund by contacting customer service and saying you are not getting the service you paid for. Pro-rated refunds were given out when the online character builder came out and a large group of people left and more were given out when people left over reduction in the number of articles in Dragon/Dungeon. I'm confident that you could use the lack of updates to demand a refund on what's left of your subscription.

Usually big silence have been followed by them talkin about a big, 'lovely' surprise.

They're probably killing the online CB, they just can't tell us yet. 

Usually big silence have been followed by them talkin about a big, 'lovely' surprise.

They're probably killing the online CB, they just can't tell us yet. 

Killing the 4e tools would be a big mistake without replacing them with something that will continue to bring in revenue, preferably something that is actually better than the current tools.  Offline versions of the same tools would also be acceptable to me.

If I had to look into the crystal ball I'd predict that we will see few to no updates from now on but at some point, possibly at the point WoTC stops selling 4e materials,  the 4e tools will be released in offline form.

All I know is that I'm fine at this point with few to no further updates to the 4e tools, but I want to continue to have them because they're very, very useful.

A recent exchange with Trevor on Twitter about DDi updates:

@Plaguescarred 
Any idea on when we'll get March and April #DDi updates? #dnd
@Trevor_WotC We're not getting a March DDI update, I posted about that in the forums. Right?
@Plaguescarred You said you'd be digging for any info on when the next update will be but you never did. Now April Update also late...
@Trevor_WotC I guess I wasn't clear. Updates will not be monthly anymore. If I have any info on a new update, I'll let you guys know.
@Plaguescarred You weren't clear. Wow that's really disappointing. We use Dragon/Dungeon with the CB, MB and Compendium and now more wait Frown
@Trevor_WotC Yeah, from what I've been told, DDI tools won't update on a monthly schedule anymore. I'll update the post with the...

Very disappointing 

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Wow, way to drop the ball on this one WotC. It's total BS that we should find out about this second hand from a conversation on twitter. If you're going to cut back on a service we're paying for, at least have the guts to make an announcement.

Booooo!!!!   Yell

I wanted to drop in here to confirm what Plague already shared. DDI tools won't automatically be updating on a monthly basis from what I've learned. I don't have any information on when the next update will be, but when I do I will let you know. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. : /

Trevor Kidd Community Manager