Racial Weapon Training

I'd like to go on record as saying I dislike the change to the racial weapon training (eg. Elf Weapon Training) granting proficiency.

It only really benefits spellcaster classes, and does nothing to make me to use my racial weapon.

In the precious playtest packet I made a strength-based elf fighter to benefit from his longsword bonus, but now I'd just make him dex-based and give him a rapier since Dex tends to be a more useful stat anyway.
I'd like to go on record as saying I dislike the change to the racial weapon training (eg. Elf Weapon Training) granting proficiency.

It only really benefits spellcaster classes, and does nothing to make me to use my racial weapon.

In the precious playtest packet I made a strength-based elf fighter to benefit from his longsword bonus, but now I'd just make him dex-based and give him a rapier since Dex tends to be a more useful stat anyway.

If it's only supposed to show they had some basic trainingi n the weapons then it makes sense the way it is now. They all have enough familiarity with the weapon to use it, but aren't necessarily experts at it. Maybe they could add in if your class is already trained with it then you get the +1 die size, but I don't think it's really needed.

Before I found it made things a little too rigid.. if you're going to be a Marksman Fighter why wouldn't you be an Elf? Why wouldn't a rogue be a halfling, etc etc.
Personally, I would like it to give Proficiency, and a bonus (+1 Damage?) if you have proficiency from another source. That way it helps all classes, if they want to use their iconic racial weapon.
I didn't find it rigid. Before I had the choice of using a long sword for the increased die size, or a rapier for the superior stat.

That doesn't seem like a choice anymore. The rapier is the clear winner.

I understand the idea that, Elven Weapon Training meaning you are trained with a weapon you normally wouldn't be trained with makes logical sense, but as far as the effect it has in game it makes very little sense.

If WotC thinks it's more important to have elven wizards with long swords than elven fighters with long swords than this is the right direction, otherwise it's a failure.
Previous editions always gave proficiency, so I'm fine with that coming back.  Some options would be good to accomodate various concepts though....

I like the change. I don't want every dwarf using axes and hammers, or every elf using longswords and bows. Now I can try to use more unconventional weapons without worrying about losing a point of damage.

The issue of Str vs Dex elf fighters is a whole other issue.
I for one welcome this change. Now you might actually see elves that use something other than a sword or bow.
I don't miss it for the races that had 'good weapons' and it made them better (long sword, all axes and hammers).

But I think it kinda screws over the halflings since the effect on them was to take small weapons and make them as decent.

No one will ever bother with a sling again since the shortbow is a simple weapon.

I thought all along that the real point shouldn't be to take good weapons and make them better.

It should be to take weapons that really aren't quite good enough for most people to want to use them and increase their damage so that they are on a par with the more typical weapons.

To increase the number of weapon options by making subpar weapons worthwhile, not to decrease the number of valid weapon options by taking already good weapons and making them superior.

Carl