Where is the 03.20.2013 packet?

Considering the packet for 03.20.2013 is finished, why haven't they uploaded it? According to my calculations, the WoTC offices have been open for the past 2 5/6 hours.

Enough stalling...uploaded the packet or inform us of what is causing the delay.

The crazies are getting restless.Tongue Out

These new forums are terrible.

I misspell words on purpose too draw out grammer nazis.

The day isn't over yet. 

Carl
I will not dispute that statement, however, it still is no reason for the unnecessary delay. The packet is finished. They have stated as much. Give us the packet or explain the reason for your delay.
Some of us have work...I kinda think they do this as a kindness so there isn't a days worth of discussion and people pulling the packet apart and flaming it before most people get a chance to look at it.  I'd bet on it being out in about 2 to 3 hours when the east coast of the US starts getting out of work.
I've downgraded to checking every five minutes instead of every minute for the last 5 hours.

I just said something and you just read it. Sorry about that.

The day isn't over yet. 

Carl

Irrelevant. The packet is finished. There is no viable reason to delay.
I've downgraded to checking every five minutes instead of every minute for the last 5 hours.

Dude I check maybe once every half hour if that...I knew the moment it was announced on monday it wouldn't be hitting the net till like 5:00 (US east GMT - 5:00) at best.
Some of us have work...I kinda think they do this as a kindness so there isn't a days worth of discussion and people pulling the packet apart and flaming it before most people get a chance to look at it.  I'd bet on it being out in about 2 to 3 hours when the east coast of the US starts getting out of work.

Irrelevant. It is immaterial that some people are at work. The material would be there for you to download and disseminate upon your release from work.
Well, two things.

1. PAX East is this weekend. Many WotC folks are in transit. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the cause for delay.

2. Relax. It's a playtest. You're not going to die if you don't get it right now. ;)
Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.
Not everyone at WoTC would have gone to PAX East. Even if they did, it would be a simplistic matter to simply upload the information via the Internet.

For those of us that have waited 10 months for the proposed changes to the Ranger class, this delay is annoying and inefficient.
I do so hope and wish they get it up timely enough to afford prep time before Encounters! 

Danny

The packet is done. This is true. However, it may be being proofread to prevent minor mistakes that have appeared in other packets. I really want it ASAP as well, but I can be patient.
Do you have an opinion on what campaign settings should be printed in D&D Next? If so, please cast your votes in this poll! Poll: What campaign settings do you want to see printed in D&D Next?
Yes... Give in to your nerdrage... Strike down the packet, and take your place at my side as my apprentice! SOON, WE WILL RULE THE INTERNET!!!
I was hoping to have it and a chance to at least skim it before going to work tonight but hopefully it'll be out when I go to break so I can start downloading it on my phone and then skim over it on my lunch.
Not everyone at WoTC would have gone to PAX East. Even if they did, it would be a simplistic matter to simply upload the information via the Internet.

For those of us that have waited 10 months for the proposed changes to the Ranger class, this delay is annoying and inefficient.

"OMG, let's freak out about this! Why isn't it out, no excuses!"

[Insert reasonable explanation]

"Irrelevant!  It doesn't matter what anyone says, it must be out right now!"
what time did it go out last time?    

Turns out the guy who actually compiles the packet was eaten by dire wolves while on a ski vacation in Colorado....that's why the packet's late.

True story.
"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - H.P. Lovecraft
Turns out the guy who actually compiles the packet was eaten by dire wolves while on a ski vacation in Colorado....that's why the packet's late.

True story.

I heard it was an Owl Bear...
Relax. It's a playtest. You're not going to die if you don't get it right now. ;)

Irrelevant. Assuming that I do not die right now as a direct result of the packet not being released is no basis for them not to release the packet at 12:00 AM EST.

AD&D is powergaming – powergaming for the DM. And back then, DM stood for "Dire Munchkin."

I suppose people are entitled to their uninformed opinions; I just don’t see the point when that opinion won’t be respected. Proper research can be the difference in appearing a fool vs. a respectable dissident. 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/3.jpg)

Yes... Give in to your nerdrage... Strike down the packet, and take your place at my side as my apprentice! SOON, WE WILL RULE THE INTERNET!!!

I AM YOUR DUNGEON MASTER!

It's not true! It's impossible!

Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast is not responsible for the consequences of any failed saving throw, including but not limited to petrification, poison, death magic, dragon breath, spells, or vorpal sword-related decapitations.

Dude I check maybe once every half hour if that...I knew the moment it was announced on monday it wouldn't be hitting the net till like 5:00 (US east GMT - 5:00) at best.

Do you also, only, check your tires every hour, or so? You may be losing money on gas if they are not inflated to the correct PSI.

I just said something and you just read it. Sorry about that.

I AM YOUR DUNGEON MASTER!

It's not true! It's impossible!

Search your d20, you know this to be true!
Relax. It's a playtest. You're not going to die if you don't get it right now. ;)

Irrelevant. Assuming that I do not die right now as a direct result of the packet not being released is no basis for them not to release the packet at 12:00 AM EST.

The most reasonable answer then being that just because the packet is done doesn't mean it's as simple as pressing a button to make it publicly available.  There are presumably steps needed to ensure the servers are ready for the amount of traffic that is bound to hit mere moments after it becomes available.

Could they have done all that last night?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  I don't know.  But I seriously doubt we don't have it yet because some guy at WotC is sitting at his desk thinking "Meh, they'll wait.  I'll hit the big red button when I feel like it."
  But I seriously doubt we don't have it yet because some guy at WotC is sitting at his desk thinking "Meh, they'll wait.  I'll hit the big red button when I feel like it."

That'd be awesome.
If that were really the actual reason, it'd so be worth it just for the snark value.
When we get the packet, it states "You know why you didn't get it sooner? Because we didn't feel like it, that's why! LOL!".
what time did it go out last time?    

the barbarian packet didn't go out until about 5pm pst.
  But I seriously doubt we don't have it yet because some guy at WotC is sitting at his desk thinking "Meh, they'll wait.  I'll hit the big red button when I feel like it."

That'd be awesome.
If that were really the actual reason, it'd so be worth it just for the snark value.

I know imagine the devs sitting in a NORADesque, heavily fortified command bunker waiting the red phone to ring, at which point they insert their keys and release the packet.

That'd be awesome.

I know imagine the devs sitting in a NORADesque, heavily fortified command bunker waiting the red phone to ring, at which point they insert their keys and release the packet.

That's the mental image that keeps floating up.
Armed goons at the doors, a sealed room with retinal scanners.
Of course, it's more likely that someone right now is scratching their head and thinking, "I just know I'm forgetting something...but I can't remember what it is. Something I was supposed to do today. Hmm...pick up milk, bread, and diapers. Got those. Polish my d20's. Did that. Damn...what was it?"

That'd be awesome.

1st Lieutenant Steve Phelps: Seven... Eight... Nine... Ten... All missiles enabled.
Computer Voice: T-minus thirty.
Captain Jerry Lawson: Get me Wing Command post on your direct line.
1st Lieutenant Steve Phelps: That's not the correct procedure, Captain.
Captain Jerry Lawson: SAC? Try SAC on the HF.
1st Lieutenant Steve Phelps: That's not the correct procedure...
Captain Jerry Lawson: Screw the procedure, I want somebody on the phone before I kill 20 million people!
Computer Voice: T-minus twenty.
[LT Phelps tries the phone lines]
1st Lieutenant Steve Phelps: I got nothing here! They might've been knocked out already.
Captain Jerry Lawson: Right... On my mark, rotate launch keys to Launch.
1st Lieutenant Steve Phelps: Roger. Ready to go to launch.
Captain Jerry Lawson: Thirteen... twelve... eleven...
Computer Voice: [CAPT Lawson takes his hand off the key] Seven... six... five... four...
1st Lieutenant Steve Phelps: Sir, we have a launch order. Put your hand on your key, sir!
Captain Jerry Lawson: [softly] I'm sorry...
Computer Voice: Two... one... Launch!
1st Lieutenant Steve Phelps: [pulls out his sidearm and aims at CAPT Lawson] Sir, we are at launch, turn your key!
Captain Jerry Lawson: I'm sorry.
1st Lieutenant Steve Phelps: [cocks his sidearm] Turn your key, sir!
Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.

Your impatience and inability to wait for their release schedule is no reason for them to do anything either.

It will be out when the put it out and not one nanosecond before that.

And no matter how entitled we feel as playtesters, our desires do not drive their schedule.

Carl      

True story.

Irrelevant! Any good company would have a backup plan in case any employee(s) were eaten by Monster Manual denizens!

Your impatience and inability to wait for their release schedule is no reason for them to do anything either.

And no matter how entitled we feel as playtesters, our desires do not drive their schedule.

Carl      

Actually, i think there's a minimum amount of nerd rage required by the playtest agreement.

He's just keeping up his end of the bargin.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

True story.

Irrelevant! Any good company would have a backup plan in case any employee(s) were eaten by Monster Manual denizens!

Hmm...this is true.
Maybe it was the guy who comes up with backup plans that was eaten by the wolves, and the guy who compiles the packet was eaten by the own bear. Or the yeti. I don't remember which.
i'm going to miss funny threads like this when we're all screaming at each other with our keyboards once the packet finally drops.

Carl      

Actually, i think there's a minimum amount of nerd rage required by the playtest agreement.

He's just keeping up his end of the bargin.

Perhaps.  But if you waste all your nerdrage waiting for the packet, you won't have enough left to properly lambaste the contents of the packet when it is released....

Carl    
Irrelevant! The center of the planet is a really big serpent who hasn't eaten us yet and there's no Thor to doink him in the melon if he wakes up hungry so there's no reason for WotC not to have released the playtest packet!
I'm sure there's a good reason. They only benefit from it being out a little earlier if it can be, since it avoids minor confusion issues stemming from things like someone who's been a little out of the loop but hearing that there's a new packet today checking in and getting the wrong packet, for example. As the packets have tended to hit later in the day rather than earlier, presumably there's a good reason for it.
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.

Perhaps.  But if you waste all your nerdrage waiting for the packet, you won't have enough left to properly lambaste the contents of the packet when it is released....
Carl    

Well, it's either rage here or join in the peanut butter paladin discussion in the other thread.
Debating the demise of people to fictional creatures is more fun than debating food-based classes anytime.

True story.

Hmm...this is true.
Maybe it was the guy who comes up with backup plans that was eaten by the wolves, and the guy who compiles the packet was eaten by the own bear. Or the yeti. I don't remember which.

No. The logical conclusion to this is that the wolves went after the packet itself, and any copy and physical medium it was stored in thereof.

Carl    

Then he can save energy by not  taking the effort to actually read the things he's lambasting in the packet.

Work smarter, not harder! ;)

True story.

Hmm...this is true.

No. The logical conclusion to this is that the wolves went after the packet itself, and any copy and physical medium it was stored in thereof.

Irrelevant! You cut that wolf open, grab that paper, and fax it to me!