Reins of Power, Control Magic, and maybe Insurrection

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Have two different questions:

1.  If my opponent casts Control Magic targetting one of my creatures, will casting Reins of Power in response give me back the creature at the end of the turn?

2. I'm trying to understand who decides how the effects stack if there are events like the end of a turn where both Insurrection and Reins of Power were cast, or multiple upkeep effects from permanents controlled by different people, or stuff like a creature dying with two Mimic Vats in play.

If it's going to be a complicated answer, where should I go to read up on these?

1.  If my opponent casts Control Magic targetting one of my creatures, will casting Reins of Power in response give me back the creature at the end of the turn?

No.
1) Reins resolve: you exchange creatures.
2) C-Magic resolves: he gains control of (his newly acquired) creature
3) End of turn: Reins' effect ends... but Control Magic is still there, making him keep that I wished I returned home creature!

Tax evasion is nothing but legitimate self-defense against the theft that is tax collection.

Control effects are evaluated according to Timestamp: the last one created «wins»: the others get «masked» underneath the most recent one.

Tax evasion is nothing but legitimate self-defense against the theft that is tax collection.

or multiple upkeep effects from permanents controlled by different people, or stuff like a creature dying with two Mimic Vats in play.

Mimic Vat's Imprint ability is a triggered ability.  When multiple abilities from different players are added to the stack at the same time, the abilities are added to the stack in Active Player/Non-Active Player (AP/NAP) order.  Items on the stack resolve in a Last In First Out order.

Whoever's turn it is not will have first chance to exile the newly dead creature with Mimic Vat.
Sign In to post comments