How do you meet new players

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am curious how people find groups or even a person or two to play Magic.  I have only one person that I consistently play with, and it tends to be a bit of the same ol' story when we meet, unless one of us drastically changes our decks around.  I dump a good chunk of change on cards when new sets come out, and if I am only playing once a month or so, it seems like it is not that worth it.

I have been to a local card shop, and I found it to be annoying and hostile.  It was full of either obnoxious people telling you how great all their stuff is, and how awesome of a person they are, or seemingly hostile "who the hell are you, and why are you here?" people.   I have been to a draft, and it was fun enough, but I prefer to play casually, and I don't want to have to dump tons of money as a customer just to be friends with people (especially since I have a bunch of cards already).  Maybe I am old and grumpy, but I have little patience for annoying teenagers, and they should stay off my lawn while their at it.

I dont know if I am supposed to just go and sit at the card shops and PUG it, or just simply go to more drafts and be the "lets hang out sometime" guy, or what.  I don't mind going to shops to play, I guess I just don't really like the atmoshphere there.  Maybe it's that particular shop...?

Is there a place on here that people use to meet up?  Am I supposed to just suck it up and go to the card shops and eventually I will be "cool" with the "cool kids"?
I am curious how people find groups or even a person or two to play Magic.  I have only one person that I consistently play with, and it tends to be a bit of the same ol' story when we meet, unless one of us drastically changes our decks around.  I dump a good chunk of change on cards when new sets come out, and if I am only playing once a month or so, it seems like it is not that worth it.

I have been to a local card shop, and I found it to be annoying and hostile.  It was full of either obnoxious people telling you how great all their stuff is, and how awesome of a person they are, or seemingly hostile "who the hell are you, and why are you here?" people.   I have been to a draft, and it was fun enough, but I prefer to play casually, and I don't want to have to dump tons of money as a customer just to be friends with people (especially since I have a bunch of cards already).  Maybe I am old and grumpy, but I have little patience for annoying teenagers, and they should stay off my lawn while their at it.

I dont know if I am supposed to just go and sit at the card shops and PUG it, or just simply go to more drafts and be the "lets hang out sometime" guy, or what.  I don't mind going to shops to play, I guess I just don't really like the atmoshphere there.  Maybe it's that particular shop...?

Is there a place on here that people use to meet up?  Am I supposed to just suck it up and go to the card shops and eventually I will be "cool" with the "cool kids"?

I've met new players just going through boxes of cards at the magic store, I usually go through all the boxes, and in doing so people pass by, or stop and start asking questions aka you play magic, with who, whats your fave color, etc.  From there I decide who to interact with the most and either start playing, or talk more too to decide if this person is decent.

I've met a handful just in the past week, the magic guy, and two of his buddies, discussion has been fantastic, their attitudes stellar, and they are very open of trading simple cards, for siimple prices.  So far, its been great.
In time they will join you in the Sun-Man of Steel
As for the obnoxious players, and all that jazz, it happens.  MTG players are people, and sometimes the players aren't all that fantastic, you have to roll with it, and try to find the players that will work out best for you.  Good luck,

I've met new players just going through boxes of cards at the magic store, I usually go through all the boxes, and in doing so people pass by, or stop and start asking questions aka you play magic, with who, whats your fave color, etc.  From there I decide who to interact with the most and either start playing, or talk more too to decide if this person is decent.

I've met a handful just in the past week, the magic guy, and two of his buddies, discussion has been fantastic, their attitudes stellar, and they are very open of trading simple cards, for siimple prices.  So far, its been great.

As for the obnoxious players, and all that jazz, it happens.  MTG players are people, and sometimes the players aren't all that fantastic, you have to roll with it, and try to find the players that will work out best for you.  Good luck,

See, I did just that thing.  I went to the shop with full intent on buying stuff.  Then I ask the clerk about the binders, and he acts like the WarHammer pieces he is painting on top of his counter is the most important thing in the world, and huffs and puffs about getting out binders.  And then he hands them to me, and walks away back to what he was doing, thus making me interrupt him to look at something else.   This has happened multiple times.

Also, when I did drafting, I would say half of the people were pretty nice, but were like "eh, I don't ever play, really, I just randomly came here, etc." and the others who I recognized from being there before are rude, snide, and whatever.  

I get the cliques, and I get the condescending attitude that all comic/card/collectible shop owners and patrons are supposed to have, but it is not required.   I guess my biggest problem is that when people come up to talk to me, it's usually to tell me some kind of negative comment about "oh, you have a XYZ deck? my ABC deck would PWNZORRRZZZ that deck any day... but, I left it at home, and it's only half together, and I foget where the one card is, and blah-diddy-blah"  I can't play with people that I want to choke every time they open their mouth.

I guess I would think that people go to these places to enjoy their free time.  It also turns me off from giving that place my business, which I would think the shop owners want.  

Whatevs... It's probably me.  I just want to find some not-toolish people to play with, and it seems card shops are just full of tools. 
See, I did just that thing.  I went to the shop with full intent on buying stuff.  Then I ask the clerk about the binders, and he acts like the WarHammer pieces he is painting on top of his counter is the most important thing in the world, and huffs and puffs about getting out binders.  And then he hands them to me, and walks away back to what he was doing, thus making me interrupt him to look at something else.   This has happened multiple times.

Wow. What a douche.

I mean, seriously, players being unpleasant is one thing, but I have to wonder how a guy like that stays in business. 

Also, when I did drafting, I would say half of the people were pretty nice, but were like "eh, I don't ever play, really, I just randomly came here, etc." and the others who I recognized from being there before are rude, snide, and whatever.  

I get the cliques, and I get the condescending attitude that all comic/card/collectible shop owners and patrons are supposed to have, but it is not required.   I guess my biggest problem is that when people come up to talk to me, it's usually to tell me some kind of negative comment about "oh, you have a XYZ deck? my ABC deck would PWNZORRRZZZ that deck any day... but, I left it at home, and it's only half together, and I foget where the one card is, and blah-diddy-blah"  I can't play with people that I want to choke every time they open their mouth.

I guess I would think that people go to these places to enjoy their free time.  It also turns me off from giving that place my business, which I would think the shop owners want.  

Whatevs... It's probably me.  I just want to find some not-toolish people to play with, and it seems card shops are just full of tools. 

Its probably not you, the first game shop I went too, the second banana in Charge was a huge tabletop D&D guy, and heaven forbid if you ask to see the MTG folders and interrupt his game.  If the 2nd in charge was running the store I'd wait til the owner would show up as he was substantially better in terms of dialogue, tone, and prices/trades on MTG cards.  I think the 2nd in command was just there to make sure that if the store was on fire, he would grab the register, and pull the fire alarm.

To be blunt I don't think there is a single MTG player who hasn't come across "my XYZ Graveyard Deck would totally own your weak minded elf/burn deck"  player(or variation thereof).  I came across a lot of those at the beginning, even the friend who taught me how to play was very similar, but the saving grace was a good handful of friends who offset the tone of the players that grated on me.

The worst in my experience was the friend who taught me, he would always use enchantments/artifacts that would color screw me, so I added disenchant to everything, and he had the nerve to complain that my decks were weak...because wait for it, I carried disenchant....yeah, I'll take them out so you can play Light of Day or Conversion

Perhaps try another store, if there is another one, or just keep fishing at your current store, perhaps the people you need to hook up with are coming into the store, five minutes after you leave.   Don't be afraid to try another store, I had major issue with a store in Lawrence, KS, they rubbed me wrong and I never went back.  The first store I went to in Joplin Missouri was Eccentrix and it was barely decent, and so far my new store at Vintage is working out, but this is after working the MTG counter for almost 6 months.  I think the MTG guy was checking me out at the same time, seeing if we are remotely similar.  Other players that come by when I'm going through boxes will snide off at times with a "why buy X, X is so worthless" when I know X is okay(the last time, I was getting Swords to Plowshares dude made fun of the life gaining aspect of card).

If the store is to much to deal with, try another store.  It sounds like you are on the verge of not going back, perhaps give it another try or too, or just hunt for another shop(its easier said, than done).  Good luck,

It's about finding the right store to play at. The store I play at has plenty of older players and everybody is friendly to each other for the most part regardless of age or playing ability. I think a lot of the problem stems from the store owner. If the owner has a bad attitude it sets a bad tone for the store and sets an example for what type of behavior is allowed within the store. My LGS owner tries really hard to keep people good spirited to the point where if there is somebody being mean to players he takes them aside and tells them to stop. Maybe talk to the store owner and tell him to get his **** together because the business is driving potential customers away. 
Being in the Wash, D.C. area makes it tough for me to go anywhere for any reason, but I picked this store simply because it was the first one that came up on the Wizards' tool.  This one is not in the city, but is in a suburb, so I figured less tools...  Doing a bit of looking, it seems the one in the city is much more kid friendly, and as a whole, seems nice... (I know this only from their website, but having a "kids learn magic night" event on Saturdays usually means someone gives a crap about their customers).

I think the nail in the coffin for this particular store is when I bought a bunch of deck boxes and sleeves, and someone came up beside me at the register and was going on about how I was buying the wrong sleeves, and that you have to buy two packs of them, and I should buy the (more expensive) 80 packs and that it was a dumb purchase...  and the person at the register did not say a single word...  If it were my store, and some 16yr old kid was telling my customers not to buy something because it sucks, I would impolitely ask them to leave.  I buy that stuff from there because the packs are the same price as Amazon, and the deck boxes are cheaper, so I can give them my money and walk out with something in my hand...  

I will check out this other card shop and see what their deal is.  But, if anyone reading this is in the D.C. metro (NOVA) area, and is not a tool, let me know hah. 
Good luck in your search,  
I lucked out as far as a home game is concerned. This guy I work with mentioned Magic in passing during a conversation and I had no clue he played (I just started a month ago) and we've been doing home games 1-2 times a week since. He has a friend he's brought along and my other bud decided to give it a go as well. So now we have 4 players for a home game which is quite nice. 

There are two shops in my town. One is ultra competitive and houses players who are very serious and aren't that friendly to new folks (and frankly the place smells like a pit because honest to god, the cliche "I don't shower, only play Magic" kids are the ones in there) ...so for me, who is new and has no interest in winning tournies or money from magic, but to just have fun...is not my type of shop.

The other shop, however, has a super friendly and awesome owner and I am actually going there Friday for my first FNM. I've met a couple guys who play there and they seem nice enough. I think because the owner wants everyone to have fun and not have any problems, the players will resemble that motto.

And I suppose I'm not too worried about getting heckled as I am a 6'2", 230 LB dude who has played hockey his whole life...(although I am a gentle giant off the ice) ...plus, I'd be the first to admit that I suck at Magic so there's that, too. Ha!

Good luck in your search. If it's possible, find a store owner who has a great attitude and is friendly...that attitude runs to the players in most cases I think.
I'm amazed at the number of people I casually meet that play Magic.  The person who helps at my boy's karate class checking folks in was sorting cards one day.  Come to find she and the teacher play EDH all the time, and Limited formats occasionally.  Sensei played and came in 49th of 2,693 at GP Charlotte(!!!).  Never would have known except I saw her fiddling with her EDH deck one day.

They're right under your nose.  You just don't know it.  Start wearing a Boros Legion t-shirt around and I bet you'll suss a few out.
You should probably find out if the people you have delt with are the owner(s) or just employees.  If its not the owner then track them down and let them know what is going on so they can get their stuff in order.
You're in the DC area and can't find people to play MTG with casually? If you don't already, you should be reading Serious Fun on the DailyMTG site. The dude who writes it is based in the DC area and his focus is Casual MTG. I don't know the name of the place where he usually plays, but it seems like it'd be a good place to start.
I have worked the counter at a game store and my number one goal was to make sure people walked out the door thinking they got exactly the product they needed.

And if you don't like your local store you should find a new store! The store that was closest to me sucked! The owner treated the business like a hobby and wasn't serious about anything, the player base was awful, and the store only had a few very overpriced singles. I moved on. The store I mainly play at now has multiple regulars who have made it to the pro tour recently, an amazing card alterer, a serious owner, and just about any card I can ask for in inventory most of the time. I enjoy myself, I get better at Magic, and I'm in a place that appreciates having multiple L2 judges available to them.
Level 2 Magic Judge Lite a man a fire, warm him for a day. Light a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
I was hoping to find a decent way to meet Local MTG players over the internet as well.  As much as I enjoy the game, both casually & competetively, the closest store to me, is almost 10 miles away, and they're not even friendly, I'll never step foot in that building again.  Theres a really awesome store in Kenosha Wi called Colosseum Games, but its almost 15 miles away.  I had to stop going up there because of some car troubles I've been having, but even without those, I was getting rather burnt out on the extra long drive to get there. 

I'm in Waukegan IL, which is apparently an MTG deadzone right in the middle between Chicago and Milwaukee, with no comic shop, nor game store, and the one card shop is 99.5% sports cards, mostly because I bought out all their remaining inventory of MTG last fall.

As for those hardcore players at FNM who never lose, I'm pretty tired of those as well, I build my own decks and do decently at FNM when I can show up, but I always seem to get the one jerk who literally goes on tcg and buys a winning deck.
try telling your other friends about it, that's what i did and now almost everyone i know plays it.
I was hoping to find a decent way to meet Local MTG players over the internet as well.  As much as I enjoy the game, both casually & competetively, the closest store to me, is almost 10 miles away, and they're not even friendly, I'll never step foot in that building again.  Theres a really awesome store in Kenosha Wi called Colosseum Games, but its almost 15 miles away.  I had to stop going up there because of some car troubles I've been having, but even without those, I was getting rather burnt out on the extra long drive to get there. 

Could be alot worse.  When I first started playing, I had to drive 60+ miles to buy cards, and the nearest place that actually had a playing area was about 80 miles.

I'm in Waukegan IL, which is apparently an MTG deadzone right in the middle between Chicago and Milwaukee, with no comic shop, nor game store, and the one card shop is 99.5% sports cards, mostly because I bought out all their remaining inventory of MTG last fall.

As for those hardcore players at FNM who never lose, I'm pretty tired of those as well, I build my own decks and do decently at FNM when I can show up, but I always seem to get the one jerk who literally goes on tcg and buys a winning deck.

Wow, you don't know how lucky you are. I live in a town about 30 minutes east of the closest major city(Columbus, OH), and there is NOTHING out here within almost 30 miles. The closest store that even carries Magic cards(aside from big box stores like Wal-Mart) is at least 40 minutes from where I live, around 20-30 miles. I drive 50+ miles just going to work and back each day.

I lucked out hardcore though, most of my friends are all into Magic as well. We've got a group of almost 10 people who get together at least once a week and play various formats. Got my wife and oldest daughter into playing too. If it weren't for them, I wouldn't bother playing this game.

I find signatures incredibly distracting. If you read this, then you too have found them distracting. 

The 'find a better store and yes, some places are hosed for that' rings true. Urban locations are more likely to work, but the sad truth is that some stores suck and some regions are graced with a dearth of amazing shops (metropolitan oregon, for instance, has utterly spoiled my expectations).

That being said, for casual play you want to track down casual players. There's a decent casual player/draft overlap, but your best results are always going to come from the regular people you meet who just happen to play magic.

It's the reverse of the joke about tabletop gaming or DnD. A fair number of folks out there just happen to play magic. Mention the subject. Granted, living in a city of nerds and hipsters (who, these days, have a decent overlap as strange as that may sound) helps and working in a tech support call center obviously skews things horrendously, but between just finding out if folks play magic and getting your friends addicted you can assemble the components you need for a playgroup.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
You're in the DC area and can't find people to play MTG with casually? If you don't already, you should be reading Serious Fun on the DailyMTG site. The dude who writes it is based in the DC area and his focus is Casual MTG. I don't know the name of the place where he usually plays, but it seems like it'd be a good place to start.

That is good to know.  I will start following his stuff more closely, and maybe I can find out where he recommends or something..  Thanks for the tip.

You would think that being here in the capitol, there would be a bunch of people playing, but it's all yuppies and DoD employees that are more interested in $300 a night bar tabs and who knows what else.  There are lots of rich Military brats, Gov't brats, etc.  Everyone is too cool for card games I guess! 

I went to the recent SCG open here last weekend and it amazed me that so many people were there, but Jeebuz knows where they came from... 

I just recently returned to the game after a long hiatus and now live in a different town, and I am finding it hard to find a shop that is very welcoming of a new face in the crowd. There is one shop that has a great selection of singles and great prices but if you aren't there dropping $200 a visit on a net deck then the guys working the card counter kind of blow you off. I may eventually go to some standard tournaments but I just want to find a casual play group and a good place for the occasional FNM. If anyone here is in or knows of a good place in Dayton,OH send me a message.

Wow, you don't know how lucky you are. I live in a town about 30 minutes east of the closest major city(Columbus, OH), and there is NOTHING out here within almost 30 miles. The closest store that even carries Magic cards(aside from big box stores like Wal-Mart) is at least 40 minutes from where I live, around 20-30 miles. I drive 50+ miles just going to work and back each day.

I lucked out hardcore though, most of my friends are all into Magic as well. We've got a group of almost 10 people who get together at least once a week and play various formats. Got my wife and oldest daughter into playing too. If it weren't for them, I wouldn't bother playing this game.

Now thats just surprising, I guess when you look at the chicago area map for card & game stores theres just a good spread of them all over everywhere except my area.  Even more surprising for me is the Kenosha WI area i go to 15 miles north, has 4 of these stores. 

All things said though, even if my case is not as extreme as some here, I ended up on this forum not as much to talk magic, though I am enjoying the conversation, as much as I had been hoping to find a sub group specifically for finding people to play with in my area.  I dont feel I should have to advertise on craiglist to find another player w/in 10 miles or less.
You don't need to hit the list, but you do need to talk to folks. How do you think other fishers meet each other?
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Whenever someone new comes to the store I play at, I meet them.
Whenever I go to the store downtown, they meet me. Everyone I know is nice, so that helps I guess. 

And all will know the wonder of my dark and jeweled sky, when all the world is wrapped in an eternal lullaby.

Hmmm, you could tattoo a black magic symbol on your forehead. You'll meet lots of MTG players that way, and those you meet who don't play MTG, well, you don't have to worry about them bothering you.

Actually, this is a good example of why we should have a regional events forum set up here for casual players. People looking for groups could post stuff up and maybe find a game or 3 in their area. Rename the "Sactioned Events" section "Sanctionaed and Unsanctioned Events", or just "Events", and add a section called "Casual Group Finder".
Hmmm, you could tattoo a black magic symbol on your forehead. You'll meet lots of MTG players that way, and those you meet who don't play MTG, well, you don't have to worry about them bothering you.

Actually, this is a good example of why we should have a regional events forum set up here for casual players. People looking for groups could post stuff up and maybe find a game or 3 in their area. Rename the "Sactioned Events" section "Sanctionaed and Unsanctioned Events", or just "Events", and add a section called "Casual Group Finder".

^^^^^ pretty much exactly what I was hoping to find, would think with all the power of the internet it would be easier to set something like this up.

^^^^^ pretty much exactly what I was hoping to find, would think with all the power of the internet it would be easier to set something like this up.

Yea a "casual group finder" would be very helpful! I also tried to reinstall Magic Online and trade my old cards for some newer stuff but the community there doesnt seem to be much better. I started playing when Revised came out and took a long break after Lorwyn but Duels of the Planeswalkers really got me itchin to play! I'd love to find a good kitchen table group but I guess the elitist card shop crew is my only option for now.