Order of Damage Assignment...

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm having a game with my son and I primarily use older cards from the 'revised' edition. So every once in awhile he uses new cards that I'm not familiar with and which leads to disagreements sometimes. I'm sure this is simple but I can't find clarification.

I'm attacking with a couple of creatures which are 1/1, he's not blocking but is using a red enchantment card, "Circle of Flame". It deals 1 damage to attacking non-flying creatures. I told him since he isn't blocking my damage is assigned first then his enchantment card kicks in and destroys my 1/1 attacking creatures. He feels that my creatures are dead from the flame first and therefore there is no damage taken by him.

Thanks for any help!
Circle of Flame

all your 1/1 are dead before blockers are even declared, they'll die as soon as you declare them as attackers
they won't get a chance to deal damage to him
proud member of the 2011 community team
they are dead first (assuming they are 1 toughness)

the trigger occurs when they are declared as attackers, before blockers are declared and before combat damage happens

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

I'm having a game with my son and I primarily use older cards from the 'revised' edition. So every once in awhile he uses new cards that I'm not familiar with and which leads to disagreements sometimes. I'm sure this is simple but I can't find clarification.

I'm attacking with a couple of creatures which are 1/1, he's not blocking but is using a red enchantment card, "Circle of Flame". It deals 1 damage to attacking non-flying creatures. I told him since he isn't blocking my damage is assigned first then his enchantment card kicks in and destroys my 1/1 attacking creatures. He feels that my creatures are dead from the flame first and therefore there is no damage taken by him.

Thanks for any help!

Your son is correct.  The Circle of Flame triggers after you declare your attackers, and before any blockers are declared or damage is dealt.  If you attack with a 1/1 it will die before your opponent needs to decide to block it or not.

I told him since he isn't blocking my damage is assigned first then his enchantment card kicks

The Combat Phase does not «flow» from attack to damage; there are several steps, with pauses in between each.
The Combat Phase as a whole is split in five Steps:
1) Beginning of Combat Step
2) Declare Attackers Step
3) Declare Blockers Step
4) Combat Damage Step
5) End of Combat Step

Get a few hints here:
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

You may also check the Basic Rulebook, or go for the Comprehensive Rules and look up rule #506:
www.wizards.com/magic/TCG/Resources.aspx...

It's not Logic, it's Magic!

I agree with the above people, I just want to point out you're probably used to effects like Thicket Basilisk which specifically state "...at end of combat." on the card.  There is no such timing clause on Circle of Flame so its ability triggers when attackers are declared.  To some extent, stuff more prevalently worked like Thicket Basilisk back in the day and to some extent Circle of Flame represents more "the new style".  Even the more recent basilisks have improved.  Look at Sylvan Basilisk and/or Greater Basilisk both are still bad for the most part, but better than Thicket Basilisk was because the timing of when they kill stuff is now better.
Excellent! I want to thank all of you for your help!
Sign In to post comments