Requested Rulings for Gatherer

125 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Gatherer Errors thread is doing good work pointing out problems with existing rulings in Gatherer, but I think there's also a place for adding additional rulings that don't currently exist. To that end, I'd like to use this as a companion thread for posting suggested additions to the Gatherer rulings.

Remember that gatherer rulings don't need to cover everything--in fact, it's probably better if they don't. But rulings can help clarify some of the most common confusing cases.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

To kick us off:

Rain of Gore: Rain of Gore's interaction with lifelink is confusing and unintuitive, and a lot of people get it wrong. There should probably be a ruling to the effect of "Will not affect lifegain caused by damage from a creature with lifelink. The lifegain is being caused by the creature, and a creature on the battlefield is not a spell or ability, so Rain of Gore's effect does not apply to it."

The Ravnica bouncelands (Azorius Chancery, Dimir Aqueduct, Rakdos Carnarium, Gruul Turf, Selesnya Sanctuary, Orzhov Basilica, Izzet Boilerworks, Golgari Rot Farm, Boros Garrison, Simic Growth Chamber): The most frequently-asked question about these cards isn't addressed at all in their rulings. They should have a ruling saying "If this land is played when you control no other lands, its ability will force you to return it to your hand."

Bond of Agony: For all that's holy, it needs to say "Costs {X}{B} and X life, not just {B} and X life."

Omnibian: "Only changes the targeted creature's creature type, power, and toughness. Does not cause the targeted creature to lose any abilities."

Rain of Gore: Rain of Gore's interaction with lifelink is confusing and unintuitive, and a lot of people get it wrong. There should probably be a ruling to the effect of "Will not affect lifegain caused by damage from a creature with lifelink. The lifegain is being caused by the creature, and a creature on the battlefield is not a spell or ability, so Rain of Gore's effect does not apply to it."

Are you sure about this? I don't think it's quite right. The issue isn't that it's a creature; it's about what's causing the damage to be dealt. Rain of Gore won't stop the life gain from a lifelink creature dealing combat damage (in that case, it's the rules of the game, not a spell or ability), but it will stop the life gain from a lifelink creature being Soul's Fired. That's because in that case, it's a spell causing damage to be dealt, and the result of this damage is life gain, so it's a spell causing the player to gain life.
Thanks for posting this, zammm. I'll be sure to check in on this thread periodically and review suggestions.
If Skullbriar is exiled from the exile zone (eg. via Pull from Eternity and Rest in Peace), it becomes a new object in the exile zone and loses any counters it had.
If Skullbriar is exiled from the exile zone (eg. via Pull from Eternity and Rest in Peace), it becomes a new object in the exile zone and loses any counters it had.

Why?  It's also becoming a new object if it moves from some other zone to exile and it gets to keep its counters.  The card says the counters only come off if the card is moving to hand or library.
as far as rulings go, Illusionist's Bracers needs some more straight-forward rulings. I get what it does but I've seen tons of people who don't get it so they don't play it.

Newbs! Ask me your questions but always question my answers ;)

EDH decks I play:

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4025591

Why?  It's also becoming a new object if it moves from some other zone to exile and it gets to keep its counters.  The card says the counters only come off if the card is moving to hand or library.

I think puzzledmint mis-read or conflated Natedogg's post from the Pull from Eternity vs. Rest in Peace Rules Q&A thread.

Natedogg replied in regards to a suspended card with time counters on it being re-exiled with Pull from Eternity and Rest in Peace.

A couple posts above Natedogg's post, people were discussing Skullbriar, the Walking Grave.
Are you sure about this? I don't think it's quite right. The issue isn't that it's a creature; it's about what's causing the damage to be dealt. Rain of Gore won't stop the life gain from a lifelink creature dealing combat damage (in that case, it's the rules of the game, not a spell or ability), but it will stop the life gain from a lifelink creature being Soul's Fired. That's because in that case, it's a spell causing damage to be dealt, and the result of this damage is life gain, so it's a spell causing the player to gain life.

You're right; I just oversimplified when trying to write something that would be comprehensible to non-rules-guru players.

An addition of the word "combat" before "damage" in zammm's suggestion ought to work. 

Good idea for a thread, BTW. 
I encourage you guys to go ahead and write the rulings that you want to see. Copy-paste is a wonderful thing!

Del Laugel

Editing manager, Magic TCG

Hey, I've wanted something like this for awhile! Double thumbs up on the Bond of Agony suggestion. You might even want to add an example: "If you make X equal to 10, the spell costs 11 mana and 10 life to cast."

The licids: Calming Licid, Convulsing Licid, Corrupting Licid, Dominating Licid, Enraging Licid, Gliding Licid, Leeching Licid, Nurturing Licid, Quickening Licid, Stinging Licid, Tempting Licid, Transmogrifying Licid; could use: "Paying M is a special action and can't be responded to; if you attempt to destroy the licid after it has become an enchantment (with Clear for example) and its controller pays M, it will no longer be an enchantment and the spell will be countered on resolution for having no legal targets (unless the spell could also target creatures, like Mortify).

Ersatz Gnomes: "If Ersatz Gnomes targets a spell that becomes a permanent, the permanent will enter the battlefield colorless and will remain colorless until it leaves the battlefield (or until another effect changes its color)."

Ertai's Meddling: "If Ertai's Meddling is used to copy an arcane spell that had effects spliced onto it, it will create a spell with all of those effects. That spell's controller will not be able to splice additional effects onto the spell, since they did not re-cast the spell and instead simply put it back onto the stack. ///// "Ertai's Meddling has the spell's controller put the spell back onto the stack; it does not have its controller cast the spell again. Anything that triggers off of casting spells, such as Contemplation, won't trigger. Simillarly, effects that count spells that are cast (like Rule of Law or prevent spells from being cast (like Iona, Shield of Emeria) won't affect the copy that is put onto the stack since the copy wasn't cast.

Herald of Leshrac: "The cumulative upkeep trigger doesn't target what you gain control of. You don't choose lands until the ability resolves. Your opponents can not tap lands in response to the choice. They could respond to the ability by tapping any number of lands, before you've made any choices."

Howling Mine, Anvil of Bogardan, Rites of Flourishing, Font of Mythos, Malignant Growth, Righteous Authority, Spiteful Visions: "The triggered ability is put onto the stack after you have already drawn your card for the turn." -----Please! Please.

Anvil of Bogardan: "If there are two Anvils, you draw and discard, and then draw and discard again. You do not draw two and then discard two."

Mesmeric Orb: "If permanents become untapped during the untap step, Mesmeric Orb's ability will trigger that many times. However, since no player gets priority during the untap step, those abilities wait to be put on the stack until the upkeep starts. At that time, all the "beginning of upkeep" triggers will also trigger. Those abililties and Mesmeric Orb's triggers can be put on the stack in any order."

Horizon Spellbomb: "When you sacrifice Horizon Spellbomb, it's search ability goes on the stack, and then the triggered draw ability goes on the stack on top of it. Then you may choose to pay , and draw a card. Then, after you've drawn a card, you search. You do not search first. (This is the opposite order of cards like Yavimaya Elder)."
Recurring Nightmare: If you cast Recurring Nightmare as normal during your main phase, it will enter the battlefield and you'll receive priority. If no abilities trigger because of this, you can activate Recurring Nightmare's ability immediately, before any other player has a chance to remove Recurring Nightmare from the battlefield.

The wording came from a combination of the rulings on Bloodpyre Elemental and Corpse Traders. Similar rulings could be applied to other cards with sorcery-timing abilities, that can remove themselves from the battlefield as a cost of the ability. Specifically: Amulet of Unmaking, Brain Weevil, Grinning Ignus (maybe... this guy's weird), He Who Hungers, Urborg Mindsucker, Smoldering Tar, Mindwhip Sliver (needs a different wording since it applies to other slivers too), Sadistic Hypnotist, Nezumi Bone-reader.
Recurring Nightmare: If you cast Recurring Nightmare as normal during your main phase, it will enter the battlefield and you'll receive priority. If no abilities trigger because of this, you can activate Recurring Nightmare's ability immediately, before any other player has a chance to remove Recurring Nightmare from the battlefield.

This is also a very common question about planeswalkers.  Not sure all of them need the ruling.  Are there some a new player is more likely to encounter than others?

It also comes up with sorceries that have additional (sacrificial) costs, such as Bone Splinters - search brought up about 32 cards. And the INN/DKA "exile card/s from your graveyard" as an additional cost creatures.
darkest hour

Should have a ruling (or reminder text) to the effect of "Affected creatures lose all other colors and are mono-black."
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
For all creatures with Evoke and an enters-the-battlefield trigger:

"If you cast this card for its evoke cost, you may put the sacrifice trigger and the regular enters the battlefield trigger on the stack in either order."
Rules Advisor
Frost Titan
Frost Breath
Dungeon Geists
Hands of Binding
Tamiyo, the Moon Sage

These should have standardized rulings.
eg. Titan actually has a ruling that it's ok to target a tapped creature for the second effect, the others do not, but should.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Witnessed a player arguing about this one for twenty minutes in the #mtgrules chatroom; this definitely seems like something that could use a ruling:

Havengul Lich

Havengul Lich's ability changes the zone you are permitted to cast the card from, not the times you are permitted to cast it. You can cast a creature card that has been targeted by Havengul Lich from the graveyard, but unless it has flash, you can only do so if it's your main phase, the stack is empty, and you have priority.

Domri Rade needs to remind players how Double Strike and Trample work if the creature would deal enough damage to destroy the blocking creature during the First Strike damage.  It's confusing (to me).

~SE++

http://forum.nogoblinsallowed.com/index.php

Iname, Life Aspect & Iname As One: "In a Commander game, you may send Iname to the Command Zone instead of exiling it during the resolution of its ability. If you do, its ability still works. Iname's ability only requires that you attempted to exile it, not that it actually gets to the exile zone. This is similar to how destroying a creature doesn't necessary ensure that creature will end up in the graveyard, for example with a Rest in Peace; it just so happens that the action of exiling something and the exile zone both use the same word: "exile"."

Mischievous Quanar, Voidmage Apprentice, Willbender: "If a spell with split second is on the stack, you can still respond by turning this creature face up and targeting that spell with the trigger. This is because split second only stops players from casting spells or activating abilities, while turning a creature face up is a special action."

Shielding Plax, Canopy Cover, Vines of Vastwood: "This is not the same as hexproof. If, for example, you target one of your opponent's creatures, your opponents won't be able to target their own creature with spells or abilities."

This one comes up so stupidly often in EDH. Lightning Greaves: "You are not allowed to "unequip" equipment from a creature. If lightning greaves is attached to the only creature you control, you won't be able to attach other equipment to it (or target it, with anything) until you have another creature that you can move lightning greaves onto."

Shuko & Grafted Wargear: "You may activate Shuko's equip ability targeting the creature that it is currently attached to, even if it's the only creature you control. Since Shuko's equip ability costs zero, you can do this as many times as you like during your main phases, though it generally won't do anything."
Grafdigger's Cage:
"The first ability checks only whether the card is a creature card in the graveyard or library. A card such as Sculpting Steel can still enter the battlefield from a graveyard or library as a copy of a creature."
"The second ability doesn't stop players from playing land cards from graveyards or libraries since lands aren't cast. However, the first ability means that a player can't play Dryad Arbor from a graveyard or library."

Eye of Ugin:
Now that Eldrazi cards have been printed, the second ruling and the "Currently, only" in the third ruling can probably be removed.
Rules Advisor
Mischievous Quanar, Voidmage Apprentice, Willbender: "If a spell with split second is on the stack, you can still respond by turning this creature face up and targeting that spell with the trigger. This is because split second only stops players from casting spells or activating abilities, while turning a creature face up is a special action."

If they'd put split-second ruling for these cards, they'd have to put them for almost every morph card, not just for those who can directly interact with spells. For example, on the same ground they'd want to tell players they can unmorph Patron of the Wild against split second spells like Sudden Shock, or unmorph a creature with high toughness so it will survive, or get an effect from the creature before it dies.

Maybe this should go the other way around? Have split-second spells mention morph?

Grafdigger's Cage:
"The second ability doesn't stop players from playing land cards from graveyards or libraries since lands aren't cast. However, the first ability means that a player can't play Dryad Arbor from a graveyard or library."

Rules Question: Can I technically use up my land-playing per turn to try and move the dryad to the battlefield (and fail)? Or is land playing synonymous with moving the card to the battlefield? 

Eye of Ugin:
Now that Eldrazi cards have been printed, the second and third rulings can probably be removed.

The situations stated are still valid, so maybe these rulings should be modified, not removed.

Grafdigger's Cage:

Rules Question: Can I technically use up my land-playing per turn to try and move the dryad to the battlefield (and fail)? Or is land playing synonymous with moving the card to the battlefield?

I don't think that you'd be able to choose to take the play a land special action unless you can actually put the land onto the battlefield.  However, I'm not 100% sure.

Grafdigger's Cage:

I don't think that you'd be able to choose to take the play a land special action unless you can actually put the land onto the battlefield.  However, I'm not 100% sure.

July 2010 Update Bulletin - Feature - Mark L. Gottlieb - Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Worms of the Earth
I poked at this card during the Eventide update, getting it a little closer to its printed functionality. I've returned to it with the same purpose. Its second ability is worded as a replacement: "If a land would enter the battlefield, instead it doesn't." I think we can be more forceful, and just state outright that lands can't enter the battlefield.

There are some questions and ramifications related to this.

* If that's what the second ability says, does the seemingly redundant first ability ("Players can't play lands") need to be there at all?

I think so. Otherwise, I could announce that I'm playing a land, have the card fail to move from my hand to the battlefield, and never even get revealed. And yet I've used up my land drop. That can't be good.
Thanks mqj.
So it seems playing lands is not synonymous with putting them on the battlefield. Dryad Arbor can be played from a graveyard or a library with Grafdigger's Cage on the battlefield, but it will fail to enter the battlefield (while wasting a land-play).

However, I feel that MJ's guess should be the correct one, and as MaGo stated about allowing such a thing: "That can't be good". I'll post a thread to discuss this...
Kaervek's Hex:
"If a creature is both black and green, Kaervek's Hex will deal 1 damage to that creature."

Breath of Dreams, Decomposition, Dreams of the Dead, Mana Chains:
I just copied the text for rule 702.22b.
"If a permanent has multiple instances of cumulative upkeep, each triggers separately. However, the age counters are not connected to any particular ability; each cumulative upkeep ability will count the total number of age counters on the permanent at the time that ability resolves."

Naked Singularity, Reality Twist:
"If a land has more than one basic land type, the player tapping the land for mana can choose to produce mana of either color. But if it produces more than one mana, all mana is of the same color."
Rules Advisor
Credit to TobyOrNotToby for this one: Knowledge Pool or Eye of the Storm is destroyed with one or more instances of its triggered ability on the stack. When those abilities resolve, what the hell happens?
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Credit to TobyOrNotToby for this one: Knowledge Pool or Eye of the Storm is destroyed with one or more instances of its triggered ability on the stack. When those abilities resolve, what the hell happens?

Good question. I would think that any previously exiled card can be tracked using last known information. However, since Eye of the Storm is no longer on the battlefield, the newly exiled card is not tracked and can't be copied.
Rules Advisor
From this thread

All abilities that trigger "Whenever ~ attacks and isn't blocked":

"This creature need not have been declared as an attacker during the Declare Attackers step for its ability to trigger; it may have, for example, been put onto the battlefield attacking. The ability triggers in the Declare Blockers step and doesn't check whether the creature attacked, merely that it's attacking and was not blocked during the turn-based action of declaring blockers."
Krark's Thumb:
If an effect tells you to flip more than one coin at once, this replace each individual coin flip. For example, if an effect tells you to flip two coins, you'll first flip two coins and ignore one, then flip two more coins and ignore one of those. You don't flip four coins and ignore two.

Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs:
A number of wordings for this card would be unnecessary if it were updated to use more modern templating.
"Whenever a creature attacks you or a planeswalker you control, put a 3/3 red Ogre creature token onto the battlefield unless that creature's controller pays ."
Rules Advisor
A number of wordings for this card would be unnecessary if it were updated to use more modern templating.
"Whenever a creature attacks you or a planeswalker you control, put a 3/3 red Ogre creature token onto the battlefield unless that creature's controller pays ."

Wouldn't this be functionally different in a 2HG game?

Current wording: You have a Kazuul, your opponents attack anyone/thing anywhere, you get all the triggers.

Proposed wording: You have a Kazuul, your opponents attack your teammate's planeswalker, you don't get any triggers.

That's a functional change for multiplayer, where every non-active player becomes a defending player, not just the one being attacked.

That's a functional change for multiplayer, where every non-active player becomes a defending player, not just the one being attacked.

You see, I though that at first, too, then I double checked the multiplayer rules.

802.2a. Any rule, object, or effect that refers to a "defending player" refers to one specific defending player, not to all of the defending players. If an ability of an attacking creature refers to a defending player, or a spell or ability refers to both an attacking creature and a defending player, then unless otherwise specified, the defending player it's referring to is the player that creature was attacking at the time it became an attacking creature that combat, or the controller of the planeswalker that creature was attacking at the time it became an attacking creature that combat. If a spell or ability could apply to multiple attacking creatures, the appropriate defending player is individually determined for each of those attacking creatures. If there are multiple defending players that could be chosen, the controller of the spell or ability chooses one.

When I said "wording" I meant "ruling." The first ruling for Kazuul clarifies that his ability means exactly what I proposed.
Rules Advisor
From this thread

"This creature need not have been declared as an attacker during the Declare Attackers step for its ability to trigger; it may have, for example, been put onto the battlefield attacking. The ability triggers in the Declare Blockers step and doesn't check whether the creature attacked, merely that it's attacking and was not blocked during the turn-based action of declaring blockers."

I would simply change "Whenever [this creature] attacks and isn't blocked" to "Whenever [this creature] isn't blocked". It's plain to see that this ability can only trigger when the creature is attacking, and putting the focus on the blocking part tells us the moment when this abilty's trigger condition is checked. By that, we get rid of the ambiguity between "Whenever [this creature] attacks" and "Whenever [this creature] attacks and isn't blocked" and having to find out / explain that they trigger in different segments.

Just my 2 cents...

Mario H.
From this thread

I would simply change "Whenever [this creature] attacks and isn't blocked" to "Whenever [this creature] isn't blocked". It's plain to see that this ability can only trigger when the creature is attacking, and putting the focus on the blocking part tells us the moment when this abilty's trigger condition is checked. By that, we get rid of the ambiguity between "Whenever [this creature] attacks" and "Whenever [this creature] attacks and isn't blocked" and having to find out / explain that they trigger in different segments.

Just my 2 cents...

Mario H.

It should either be changed (so that the words on the card are honest) or it should be included in the Gatherer rulings.

It shouldnt be allowed to continue the way it is. 

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)

Good question. I would think that any previously exiled card can be tracked using last known information. However, since Eye of the Storm is no longer on the battlefield, the newly exiled card is not tracked and can't be copied.

the latest ruling that I've seen concerning this is that the set of linked cards in exile can be updated after the destruction of Pool or Eye.

It's an extension of a ruling for Mimic Vat - here

In that example I asked what happens if I have Card A exiled, I activate Vat and then Vat triggers for Card B's move from the field to the yard and someone destroys the Vat in response to its trigger. 

When Vat's activated ability resolves, if I had replaced Card A with Card B from Vat's trigger, do I get a token copy of Card B? The answer was yes proving that linked cards can be updated even after the destruction of the linked object on the field.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Scout's Warning could use a similar ruling to that of Quicken. And it should probably tell you that you can't play Dryad Arbors on your opponents' turns.
Scout's Warning could use a similar ruling to that of Quicken. And it should probably tell you that you can't play Dryad Arbors on your opponents' turns.

Why does Scout's warning say play instead of cast?
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Why does Scout's warning say play instead of cast?

Because Dryad Arbor exists.