Ocular Spell vs Reach Spell

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Trying the Twice-Betrayer and its variations made me see that Ocular Spell already affects touch spells (among other non-personal spells), but Ocular only affects spells of casting time up to 1 full round action, and Reach affects any touch spell even with a crazy casting time.

So in an attempt to decide which one is better, i wanted to know if you guys could tell me all powerful spells you remember that are non-instantaneous touch range with casting time greater than 1 full round.
Ocular. Action economy is pro.
Customer Disservice of the House of Trolls Resident Secretly Ron Paul God of Spite and Sloth
Actually i think the same, but i wanted to know if there is some worth buffs of touch with cast time > 1 full round, so i can keep both Ocular and Reach Spell on my Twice-Betrayer, if there isn't i will trade Reach and Divine Metamagic (Reach) for something else.
None come to mind, really.

OoP's characters
My current character in Real Adventures Play-by-Post games:

• Maeve in The Lost History of Istar

No one else to help here?

I really need that help ;(

I already took a look into some touch spells and so far all of them are standart action, so i'm inclined to leave Reach behind, but i'm affraid i might let some awesome spell fly under the radar.
So wait, you're wondering if there are any spells you can use Reach on, but not Ocular? Hmm, can't think of any, and to be honest you could probably get a rod or something if really necessary.

Of course, Reach has the advantage that it can be used without limit in combat. If you discharge your Ocular rays, you need to recast both of them before the feat becomes useful again. 
So wait, you're wondering if there are any spells you can use Reach on, but not Ocular? Hmm, can't think of any, and to be honest you could probably get a rod or something if really necessary.

That's exactly what i want!

Of course, Reach has the advantage that it can be used without limit in combat. If you discharge your Ocular rays, you need to recast both of them before the feat becomes useful again.

Actually i was using Ocular more for change range of most spells into Fixed, so i could apply Persistent to them.
Hmm, an interesting use, I hadn't thought of that, and yeah, the way it's written, that should work (though I'm not sure I wouldn't stomp on it, if I were the DM - that lets you Persist almost anything, though you do have to pay the Ocular adjustment).

That said, in a discussion of whether it's worth taking Reach as well as Ocular, then Reach's advantages are still relevant. I kind of prefer the free reach from something like Archmage or Hierophant, but that requires a bit more to get.