Best 5th Man for this Party?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Trying to figure out the best 5th man for our group. We're currently lvl 11.

Leader- Dragonborn (Cold) Bravelord/Battlelord of Kord (Semi-Charger)

Striker 1- Half Orc Rageblood Barbarian/Bloodfury Savage (Charger, with Bloodied boosters)

Striker 2- Wood Elf Ranger/Battlefield Archer (Basically Shoot to Thrill, without Cold Op, focuses more on stealthy kills)

Defender- Tiefling Chaladin/Questing Knight (Sort of like the Inehaustable Dragon Sovereign build by Litigation)

To me, it seems to be a fairly competant team, my only thought for an addition would be a Controller of some sort for the Int based stuff, but seeing as there's plenty of options for a 5th man, I figured I'd see what everyone else though would be good for an add-on.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
I would suggest wizard or any other controller.  You need someone to set up team monster for your team to knock them down.

Maybe a Shaman, their Spirit Companions do some cool stuff if you keep them close to your striker/defenders; as well have plenty of common place controller antics to throw around as well.  

But ya regardless; Controller is the route to go.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

Looks like you need a controller.

Wizard is the easy answer there or invoker.  You could also get away with something that does less control but helps you deal with things in a larger area ( Sorcerer etc).

STR
STR
DEX
CHA

So you might do well with someone with high int and high wis.  An orbizard perhaps. The battlefield archer likely has a decent amount of wis so you might be able to go just int and cover all the skill bases.  In which case the answer is still wizard.

Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
I would put wizard or invoker first choice.  Covers int and you don't have a controller and you have a good front line.

After that depending on what you feel like: int shaman or bard.  Add some more enabling and control and both can do ranged and melee if you need it.  Both can be good at a large number of skills as well.

Swordmage hybrid.  Maybe with a controller, shaman, or warlock.  Adds int, mobility, and a little control and can maybe give your warlord someone else to enable.

Warlock or hybrid warlock is another choice since it can add int, some control, and gives the warlord someone else to enable.  Plus its fun and is a good 5th man in general.

Last choices to consoder would be oghma warpriest or something like druid, monk, or seeker.  That is not the popular charop answers, but those are ok choices, bring some control, and could cover some or all of the missing skills.
Looks like we may do a Wizard or Warlock; but here's the kicker, the player who (may) join to play the aforementioned PC wants to incorporate a Spellscar somehow. I know it's not the most OP idea out there, but in concept of what he's looking for, it's a cool thing to run with. So now I guess the question becomes, what's the best way to build a Wizard or Warlock while incorporating a Spellscar? I'm not too familiar with them myself, outside of reading over it occasionally, so I don't have much to offer him for advice.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Zathris has a handbook for spellscars.  I don't have the link handy though. 
Zathris has a handbook for spellscars.  I don't have the link handy though. 

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Browsed it earlier, is there any builds floating around thauseable us of a spellscar though? Guide doesn't have any IIRC.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
You don't need to build around spellscars. You just have them.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
I hear ya..I think he means to play it up to the fullest, not sure what class though, but definitely stuck between Wiz & Lock.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
I would suggest a cunning bard. 
Why Cunning Bard? The potential player thought it'd be a cool concept for possibly doing a StarLock and refluffing the spellscarred stuff as the far realms essence manifesting in him. I would think he'd be aiming for Student of Caiphon as the PP and that Star-something(?) ED or maybe one of the Radiant EDs...would that be a good build for the 5th man?

EDIT: Master of the Starry Path was mentioned for more of the far realms-y flavor...as well as twofold pact for kinglock...

on a side note the option for Wizard was said to still be on the table but he has no clue what kind...suggestions? 
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
I hear ya..I think he means to play it up to the fullest, not sure what class though, but definitely stuck between Wiz & Lock.

It's an absolutely terrible idea to use any of the Spellscar power swaps unless you're playing a class with exceptionally weak powers and no desire to MC.

Without gimping yourself too much, you can take the theme, take Corrupting Attacks, if Invoker take Spellcharged Channel, and/or take a good racial feat.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
He decided against the spellscarred stuff; that being said he DOES want the far realms stuff so definitely anything along those lines would help. He was thinking of starting as a Kinglock for mindbite scorn and stuff early and grabbing twofold pact star in paragon...is master of the starry path good?

He chose to do a Gnome Feylock...going to try and help him work up a build tonight.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Here's what we came up with; it's probably not the best build out there, but he seemed happy with it.

*He realizes Unseelie Agent isn't an OP theme, but doesn't care.

level 11
Tiefling, Mage, Entrancing Mystic
Unseelie Agent Starting Feature: Unseelie Agent Starting Feature (Quarterstaff)
Level 1 Apprentice Mage: Enchantment Apprentice
Level 4 Apprentice Mage: Illusion Apprentice
Level 5 Expert Mage: Enchantment Expert
Level 8 Expert Mage: Illusion Expert
Pact Initiate: Pact Initiate (fey pact)
Master Mage: Enchantment Master
Background: Unseelie Agent (Stealth class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 11, Dex 12, Int 23, Wis 11, Cha 19.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 10, Dex 11, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 14.

AC: 25 Fort: 17 Reflex: 23 Will: 23
HP: 61 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +16, Diplomacy +18, Stealth +17, History +16, Bluff +22

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +5, Heal +5, Insight +5, Intimidate +9, Nature +5, Perception +5, Religion +11, Streetwise +9, Thievery +6, Athletics +4

FEATS
Level 1: Superior Implement Training (Accurate staff)
Level 2: Staff Expertise
Level 4: Beguiling Enchantment
Level 6: Unarmored Agility
Level 8: Imperious Majesty
Level 10: Pact Initiate
Level 11: Glasya's Charming Words

POWERS
Level 1 Mage At-Will Powers: Hypnotism
Level 1 Mage At-Will Powers: Beguiling Strands
Level 1 Mage Daily Powers: Sleep
Level 1 Mage Daily Powers: Horrid Whispers
Level 1 Mage Encounter Powers: Charm of Misplaced Wrath
Level 1 Mage Encounter Powers: Illusory Obstacles
Mage Cantrips: Suggestion
Mage Cantrips: Mage Hand
Mage Cantrips: Prestidigitation
Level 2 Mage Utility Powers: Glib Tongue
Level 2 Mage Utility Powers: Shield
Level 3 Mage Encounter Powers: Blissful Ignorance
Level 3 Mage Encounter Powers: Maze of Mirrors
Level 5 Mage Daily Powers: Tasha's Forcible Conscription
Level 5 Mage Daily Powers: Visions of Avarice
Level 6 Mage Utility Powers: Emerald Eye
Level 6 Mage Utility Powers: Insightful Warning
Level 7 Mage Encounter Powers: Charm of the Defender
Level 7 Mage Encounter Powers: Phantom Foes
Level 9 Mage Daily Powers: Mirage Arcana
Level 9 Mage Daily Powers: Symphony of the Dark Court
Level 10 Mage Utility Powers: Illusory Wall
Level 10 Mage Utility Powers: Repelling Shield

ITEMS
Amulet of Seduction +2, Accurate staff of Sleep and Charm +2, Headband of Intellect (heroic tier), Antipathy Gloves (heroic tier), Resplendent Boots (heroic tier), Gloaming Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +2, Curse Eye Tattoo (heroic tier), Adventurer's Kit
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
The build looks fine. As much as I hate to say it, consider Tiefling instead of gnome, the feat support is sooo good
Yeah maybe you're right...I will recommend it later
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Updated previous build post to show changes.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Next few feats should probably be some combination of Dispater's Iron Discipline, Improved Initiative, Superior Will, and Secrets of Belial.

Depending on how often the mage finds himself in combat, consider swapping Unarmored Agility for Improved Defenses.  Your AC is going to stink either way, but at least that helps patch up Will.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?