Fortune Blessed - Avandra's Luck

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have searched and searched, but could not find an answer for this one.  As such, my apologies if this has addressed elsewhere.  The Invoker Paragon Path Fortune Blessed has the Avandra's Luck feature.  This allows a luck token to be "spent" so one can gain a +1 bonus to the triggering roll on a 1-3 on a d6.  Does that mean if I rolled a natural 19 I can add the +1 to get to a critical hit?

Thx
I have searched and searched, but could not find an answer for this one.  As such, my apologies if this has addressed elsewhere.  The Invoker Paragon Path Fortune Blessed has the Avandra's Luck feature.  This allows a luck token to be "spent" so one can gain a +1 bonus to the triggering roll on a 1-3 on a d6.  Does that mean if I rolled a natural 19 I can add the +1 to get to a critical hit?

Thx

No.

There is a reason it is called  a "natural 20".  It is because the roll has to be uneffected by other things.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
But there are other things that allow criticals with less than a "natural" 20.   Something less smarmy would be appreciated.

"Granted I say this without looking up the feature so it may have remarkably specific wording that goes against that, but I highly doubt it...
Yeah, because arguing with the guy who gives you the answer is always the best way to go about things. Maybe you should be less of a douche next time. Goodbye.
But there are other things that allow criticals with less than a "natural" 20.   Something less smarmy would be appreciated.

"Granted I say this without looking up the feature so it may have remarkably specific wording that goes against that, but I highly doubt it...

I did that, then decided right after I posted that looking up the feature was too important.

So I looked it up, and my answer stands.

There are ways to get criticals without rolling a 20 (Death from Two Sides), and there are ways to get a critical on a 19 (Draeven Marauder and using a spear).  The one you came up with is not one of those (And there are many of them).

So to put it another way:

No, you are wrong. 
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Also epic feats.

But in general, things which expand your crit range specify that they're doing that.  Adding bonuses to hit doesn't do that.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Also epic feats.

But in general, things which expand your crit range specify that they're doing that.  Adding bonuses to hit doesn't do that.

Right, there are tons of ways to do it, some of which are more obscure than others (like rolling the same number on both your attack rolls for your oath of enmity).  I was just giving a couple examples.
Show

Thx

No, it'd have to say something along the lines of "This number physically changes the number on the die." Which is not a verbiage that exists anywhere in 4e (for good reason).

Thx

No, it'd have to say something along the lines of "This number physically changes the number on the die." Which is not a verbiage that exists anywhere in 4e (for good reason).

Thx
Yeah, because arguing with the guy who gives you the answer is always the best way to go about things. Maybe you should be less of a douche next time. Goodbye.

13 or 14 years old perhaps?

Says the guy/gal who gets pissy when they don't get the answer they want.
Sign In to post comments