Contest - Spirit Avatars of Ravnica

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
Deity of Scars --- Demigod of Revenge --- Deus of Calamity --- Divinity of Pride --- Dominus of Fealty
Ghastlord of Fugue --- Godhead of Awe
Nobilis of War
Overbeing of Myth --- Oversoul of Dusk

Let's continue//remake the cycle in Ravnica.

Chriteria = Make a guild-aligned Spirit Avatar, cmc 5, all hybrid mana.
EDIT = Emphasis on "guild-aligned."  Don't just make a hybrid Spirit Avatar; make that guild's Spirit Avatar.

Twists = Ninja to the power of Ninja:  (1) Only ten possible submissions; one for each guild.  (2) Just as there were 5 starting with "D", 2 with "G", 1 with "N", and 2 with "O", so shall it be again.
Gravelord of Tombs :bgm::bgm::bgm::bgm::bgm:
Creature - Spirit Avatar
Trample
If Gravelord of Tombs would be exiled from your graveyard, return it to your hand instead.
Scavenge :bgm::bgm: (:bgm::bgm:, Exile this card from your graveyard: Put a number of +1/+1 counters equal to this card's power on target creature. Scavenge only as a sorcery.)
6/6

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/

Demiurge of Law
Creature - Spirit Avatar
Vigilance
If a nonland permanent an opponent controls would be detained, exile that permanent instead.
3/6

[<o>]
Oracle of Serenity - ()()()()()
Creature - Spirit Avatar
Reach, ~ is indestructible.
Whenever a card is put into a graveyard from anywhere, exile it instead. If a creature card is exiled this way, populate.
4/5
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Neon Hazelord ()()()()()
Creature - Spirit Avatar
Flying
You may cast instant and sorcery cards with converted mana cost 2 or less from your graveyard. (Then exile it)
A haze descended on the battlefield followed by an explosion of light none will soon forget.
4/4
Devilheart Pitlord  
Creature- Spirit Avatar 
Haste
Whenever Devilheart Pitlord attacks, you may discard X cards at random. If you do, destroy X target untapped creatures the defending player controls.
Exile Devilheart Pitlord at the beginning of the end step. 
5/5
Geist of Godless Shrine :wbm::wbm::wbm::wbm::wbm:
Creature - Avatar Spirit
: Exile Disciple of Karlov, then return it to the battlefield under its owner's control.
When Disciple of Karlov enters the battlefield, target opponent reveals his or her hand and you choose a nonland card from it and exile that card.
Cards with the same name as any card exiled by Disciple of Karlov can't be cast.
5/5
Tidehollow is on Esper.

Originator of the Wild ()()()()()
Creature — Spirit Avatar
Players may play a creature card without paying its mana cost instead of playing a land card each turn.
The rumble of her passage is the heartbeat of the wild, reminding the earth of days when it was free of the burden of millenia of city weighing it down.
5/5

Theoretically, you can play Explore for two free creatures. 
Remaining Guilds: Boros - Dimir - Orzhov - Simic

Remaining Letters: D - D - D - G

Xil Xaxosz:wbm::wbm::wbm::wbm::wbm:
Creature - Avatar Spirit
: Exile Xil Xaxosz, then return it to the battlefield under its owner's control.
When Xil Xaxosz enters the battlefield, target opponent reveals his or her hand and you choose a nonland card from it and exile that card.
Cards with the same name as any card exiled by Xil Xaxosz can't be cast.
5/5

your name isn't compliant
if you pick a remaining letter in time, can keep Orzhov
if you get ninja'd, you're ninja'd
Divinity of the Deep
()()()()()
Creature-Spirit Avatar
Hexproof
Whenever a player casts a spell, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control and then proliferate.
1/1
Divinity of the Deep
()()()()()
Creature-Spirit Avatar
Hexproof
Whenever a player casts a spell, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control and then populate.
1/1

your name, too, is noncompliant
he said, as it was changed and he became ninja'd
Gravelord of Tombs :bgm::bgm::bgm::bgm::bgm:
Creature - Spirit Avatar
Trample
If Gravelord of Tombs would be exiled from your graveyard, return it to your hand instead.
Scavenge :bgm::bgm: (:bgm::bgm:, Exile this card from your graveyard: Put a number of +1/+1 counters equal to this card's power on target creature. Scavenge only as a sorcery.)
6/6

I need this in my Golgari deck...or my UBG Vorosh deck.

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Destined of Erebus         ()()()()()
Creature - Spirit Avatar
Destined of Erebus may only be blocked by rogues.
Whenever Destined of Erebus deals combat damage to a player, you may encode target Sorcery card onto Destined of Erebus.  If you do, exile that card.
Whenever Destined of Erebus deals combat damage to a player, you may cast a copy of any number of spells encoded onto Destined of Erebus.  You may only cast each copy once.
3/3
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
Dawnforge Master |
Creature - Spirit Avatar

Vigilance, First Strike
Batalion - Whenever ~ and at least two other creatures attack, put a +1/+1 counter on each attacking creature you control. Then, if the combined power of attacking creatures you control is 30 or more, you win the game.

4/4
Nevermind

Defenestrated One ()()()()()
Creature - Spirit Avatar
Evolve
Creatures you control have evolve.
When you play Defenestrated One, remove all +1/+1 counters from target creature you control, at the end of this phase, place that many +1/+1 counters on that creature.

1/9
Which colors are left?
Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.

Which colors are left?

None. It's over.

[<o>]
kk
grades a comin'
Curses!  I did mine in a hurry last night and just came in to edit it up!

1)  I forgot to put "in any player's graveyard" after "encode target Sorcery card"
2)  Probably lower the strength...
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1

want to compliment entrants on the names -- starting letter isn't the toughest restriction, but vast majority of names were great -- appropriate both to the guild and to magic in general -- kudos

Dudibus = Gravelord of Tombs = Golgari = that is awesome -- it captures the power level of appropriately (best comparison probably Gleancrawler) -- theoretically harder to cast than GC, but same p/t and trample; also a form of recursion, but personal recursion instead of just re-play -- GC has awesome combos with cards like Yavimaya Elder, while yours is just plain good for any creature, but particularly all those golgari tramplers -- this is awesome -- not big on declaring individual winners unless it's multi-round; but you've got it

will_dice = Demiurge of Law = Azorious = nice use of gnostic terminology -- i think the power level here is just too strong; cmc 5 to turn all your detain spells into "exile" is really strong; I mean, you can try to say that the fact that it's combo-only balances it, but I'm not sold on that idea at all; it's the guild mechanic after all, and is already on 9 cards; Azorius Justiciar becomes broken beyond belief with this; even the common Inaction Injunction becomes kinda absurd

ConfusedAsUsual = Oracle of Serenity = Conclave = I am very worried about the power level; I feel like this pushes it so close, and maybe goes over the line -- the reach, indestrucible, and exile-all are all color-appropriate and guild appropriate; adding the potential for so much populate is what worries me; populate has a lot of power potential, and they've priced it pretty high; getting so much free populate just incidental to battle, or if an opponent is playing a mill deck.. yo -- considering the nice p/t, I think the better route would have been to drop the populate clause and add vigilance; just plain a solid, dependable attacker and blocker who keeps graveyards empty; feels nicely green/white and selesnya that way but keeps power more reasonable

Ulcaster = Neon Hazelord = Izzet = omg, SO glad you added the "exile" clause; when browsing yesterday, was like "no. you may not play Lightning Bolt five times in a row, and then another five times in a row next turn!  no!" -- so glad you added the exile -- but it's not reminder text; it's not rules text; it's part of the ability; lose the parentheses -- without the exile, it's broken beyond belief -- with the exile, it's still very very strong, but nicely limited to low cmc; in just RTR and GTC, there are 23 instant/sorcery cards in blue/red with cmc 2 or less; and lot of them have overload (which, since you're casting, you can pay..) -- it definitely needed the exile; otherwise just brushed off; but even with the exile, it's so damn strong! -- and, of course, that's just the ability; you also get a 4/4 flying; nice creature, so turn down the ability a touch

SuperSpawnWrithe = Devilheart Pitlord = Rakdos = the exile clause at the end throws a wrench in here; really limits your ability to use this guy; need a time when your opponent can be made open to the attack to get the 5 damage through; or, if you don't care about the damage and just want the removal, need a hand full of cards you don't mind discarding to turn into free limited Murder.. the limited is annoying; if your opponent felt safe attacking you with something last turn or activated a tapping ability of something, chances are that's exactly the threat you want to remove; but your ability doesn't let you remove that threat -- a lot of the entries suffer from being too strong; I think yours isn't quite strong enough -- rakdos like having drawback cards, but you overdid the drawbacks a bit -- having to discard at random hurts; limiting what you can destroy hurts; and you only get it for 1 turn.. and since it's exiled instead of just sacrificed, can't even abuse with reanimate spells.. -- needing cards in hand and being random discard I really think is enough of a pain/drawback; I'd drop the "untapped" and the exile clause; this could use a power up

SImonGlume = Geist of Godless Shrine = Orzhov = slight flavor issue as geist is so strongly associated with Innistrad; the orzhov just call them ghosts (Ghost Council of Orzhova//Obzedat, Ghost Council) -- card text still reads 'Disciple of Karlov'.. -- the ghost council likes to blink itself.. so that fits; the chosen discard is nicely black; the inability to play spells with same name is nicely white -- this all seems reasonably priced and balanced -- the spirit avatars liked to have color-appropriate keywords (though that was strongly stretched with Overbeing of Myth) -- yours didn't have space for it; either in terms of text or everything else going on -- this looks like it would have worked well as the new Orzhov legendary; would fit there just fine

Dream_Spinner = Originator of the Wild = Gruul = the cycle likes to have a color keyword; yours would have been trample; and since the ability helps all players (and gives opponents ability to throw out blockers easily) trample really would have helped -- I like the ability; it's a cool idea and (as far as I can tell from a search) is original -- I'm not sure on the wording; as worded, I don't think Explore works for a double-play; I think you want "If a player could play a land card, he or she may cast a creature spell without paying its mana cost instead."  since land plays are limited to one-per-turn anyway, and rules expressly forbid most shenigans with that.. should be safe -- it's a cool idea; since it helps everyone, trample would have been nice to keep the benefit a bit in your favor

HairlessThoctar = Divinity of the Deep = Simic = wow that's strong! -- you had me on the small body hexproof with the +1/+1 counters.. you lost me when you added "then proliferate"; since that amounts to "whenever a player casts a spell (ANY SPELL) put two +2/+2 counters on each creature you control and help any planeswalkers you control, and if they're poison or sunburst or whatever, also awesome boost there.. for ANY SPELL!" -- proliferate is rightly expensive; adding a free "I proliferate" to every single spell any play casts, and ensure you get to use that proliferate on every single creature you control since first you get a counter on each.. no!

POSValkir1 = Destined of Erebus = Dimir = you posted your edits 43 minutes before I got to your card; so, you're set -- glad you added where the encoded cards are coming from; otherwise that was a "huh?" -- I'm confused on what the second triggered ability does; is it meant to bridge the gap since the encoded sorceries didn't actually have cipher and you want to make sure people understand that they were encoded as ciphered cards?  look at Rule 702.97, i'm torn on whether you need that ability..

702.97.Cipher

• 702.97a Cipher appears on some instants and sorceries. It represents two static abilities, one that functions while the spell is on the stack and one that functions while the card with cipher is in the exile zone. "Cipher" means "If this spell is represented by a card, you may exile this card encoded on a creature you control" and "As long as this card is encoded on that creature, that creature has 'Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may copy this card and you may cast the copy without paying its mana cost.'"

• 702.97b The term "encoded" describes the relationship between the card with cipher while in the exile zone and the creature chosen when the spell represented by that card resolves.

• 702.97c The card with cipher remains encoded on the chosen creature as long as the card with cipher remains exiled and the creature remains on the battlefield. The card remains encoded on that object even if it changes controller or stops being a creature, as long as it remains on the battlefield

since "encoded" describes the relationship between creature and cipher spell in exile, I guess you do need some kind of language; "encoded" by itself is meaningless unless accompanied by a "cipher" spell -- so, to cut down all your wordiness, maybe turn the first triggered into "Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, you may exile target sorcery card in any graveyard encoded on ~.  The exiled card gains Cipher."  much less wordy, but I think works in the rules -- -- anyway; only blockable by rogues seems so random.. until I realized there were 15 Rogues in RTR and GTC alone.. wow, so many more rogues than I would have guessed -- cool ability and concept; and certainly dimir-y; cleaner wording would have been nice, but very nice job on catching the rules twist that you couldn't just say "encoded"

Tekkahedron = Dawnforge Master = Boros = interesting use of Battalion -- counters on each attacker is an ability Battalion would definitely like to have; so many of the Boros cards seem to be about massing a force and going with a single attack and trying for a single victory strike.. which I guess is captured in your alt win condition.. -- but I'm trying to, and just can't seem to like the alt win con -- it's a silly thought, but a combo with a kicked Rite of Replication  is an automatic win if all 6 attack simultaneously -- not that that combo is really likely or even such a huge threat; I mean, kicked Rite of Replication and Biovisionary is a much more legitimate thing -- (on a side note, it's only now I realize there are 3 alt win con cards in RTR and GTC.. wow.. Azor's Elocutors, Biovisionary, and Hellkite Tyrant.. wow) -- I don't have much better critique to say what I don't like the alt win con, other than to be clear that I really don't like it; sorry I can't give more than just that

BiggBaddBill = Defenestrated One = Simic = you were fun in the phoenix contest, so some quick comments (though not strictly graded) = name is lame -- all evolve is a bit much; green's ability to swarm little dudes then throw out biggies is dangerous with that -- I take it main point of the last ability is comboing with Fathom Mage (though also can just help get some extra bang for evolve buck) -- not crazy about it

Remaining Guilds: Boros - Dimir - Orzhov - Simic

Remaining Letters: D - D - D - G

Xil Xaxosz:wbm::wbm::wbm::wbm::wbm:
Creature - Avatar Spirit
: Exile Xil Xaxosz, then return it to the battlefield under its owner's control.
When Xil Xaxosz enters the battlefield, target opponent reveals his or her hand and you choose a nonland card from it and exile that card.
Cards with the same name as any card exiled by Xil Xaxosz can't be cast.
5/5

your name isn't compliant
if you pick a remaining letter in time, can keep Orzhov
if you get ninja'd, you're ninja'd

unmorphed or replaced
conditional instant

applied fore a job at wizards 7-14-2014

hasbro didn't respond

Lestat the Musical: I want more
Ah!  Good call on the wording.  I think you're right.  My initial thought process:

"Give the card in the graveyard Cipher!"...but its not on the stack....hmm
"Oh!  I can encode the card!"...hmm, but would it trigger if the card doesn't have Cipher?
"I'll just give Destined "Cipher"!"....hmmm, wouldn't you be able to trigger it as much as you want?
"Honey!  Go to bed!"....better work on it tomorrow...

I can't believe I didn't catch that after thought number two!

I also forgot the "without paying its mana cost" clause Embarassed.

Yeah, I went with Rogues because I want to boost his power-level in a meaningful way, but not strictly unblockable.  I had the same realization regarding rogues in the GTC pre-release using my Deathcult Rogue.  He was "mostly" unblockable.
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show

SuperSpawnWrithe = Devilheart Pitlord = Rakdos = the exile clause at the end throws a wrench in here; really limits your ability to use this guy; need a time when your opponent can be made open to the attack to get the 5 damage through; or, if you don't care about the damage and just want the removal, need a hand full of cards you don't mind discarding to turn into free limited Murder.. the limited is annoying; if your opponent felt safe attacking you with something last turn or activated a tapping ability of something, chances are that's exactly the threat you want to remove; but your ability doesn't let you remove that threat -- a lot of the entries suffer from being too strong; I think yours isn't quite strong enough -- rakdos like having drawback cards, but you overdid the drawbacks a bit -- having to discard at random hurts; limiting what you can destroy hurts; and you only get it for 1 turn.. and since it's exiled instead of just sacrificed, can't even abuse with reanimate spells.. -- needing cards in hand and being random discard I really think is enough of a pain/drawback; I'd drop the "untapped" and the exile clause; this could use a power up

I dunno man. I aimed this card at aggro and I still think this is a good card in aggro decks. Turn 5. You're losing to midrange. Drop this guy, kill two or three blockers, take a quarter of your opponent's life total and maybe swing for game (or at least take your opponent down to less than 10). It's a very niche card but I don't think it's underpowered.
I dunno man. I aimed this card at aggro and I still think this is a good card in aggro decks. Turn 5. You're losing to midrange. Drop this guy, kill two or three blockers, take a quarter of your opponent's life total and maybe swing for game (or at least take your opponent down to less than 10). It's a very niche card but I don't think it's underpowered.

maybe
but then we can debate the diference betweenn "niche" and "underpowered"
too niche is underpowered
I don't know too many aggro decks with a lot of cards in hand turn 5...
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
BiggBaddBill = Defenestrated One = Simic = you were fun in the phoenix contest, so some quick comments (though not strictly graded) = name is lame -- all evolve is a bit much; green's ability to swarm little dudes then throw out biggies is dangerous with that -- I take it main point of the last ability is comboing with Fathom Mage (though also can just help get some extra bang for evolve buck) -- not crazy about it

Defenestrated One is an awesome name, defenestrated means thrown out a window, like a failed experiment. I didn't make it with any particular combo in mind, as I haven't been playing since Gatecrash came out. I just wanted to be able to evolve a creature that was already past the evolution stage. Thanks for the comments, though.
Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.

Defenestrated One is an awesome name, defenestrated means thrown out a window, like a failed experiment. I didn't make it with any particular combo in mind, as I haven't been playing since Gatecrash came out. I just wanted to be able to evolve a creature that was already past the evolution stage. Thanks for the comments, though.

welcome to the comments
felt bad that you missed chance for full grade
i know what defenestrated means, but had no idea that's the concept you were going for (failed experiment thrown out a window) = you really should have used flavor text to explain that's what you meant by the name
also, a failed experiment thrown out a window doesn't work as the guild's spirit avatar -- wanna think that something they adopt // adopts them as the spirit avatar isn't an aborted dead mutant spirit... flavor disconnect there
plus, something that gives all your creatures evolve and alllows for evolve combos or Fathom Mage combo can't really be a failure
Dudibus = Gravelord of Tombs = Golgari = that is awesome -- it captures the power level of appropriately (best comparison probably Gleancrawler) -- theoretically harder to cast than GC, but same p/t and trample; also a form of recursion, but personal recursion instead of just re-play -- GC has awesome combos with cards like Yavimaya Elder, while yours is just plain good for any creature, but particularly all those golgari tramplers -- this is awesome -- not big on declaring individual winners unless it's multi-round; but you've got it

Woohoo!  Glad you liked it.  The funny thing is the name took by far the longest.  I changed it a dozen times before I settled.  Even now it sounds clunky to me. Gravelord of Tombs...kinda stumbles off the tongue like a zombie.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
haha, it makes me think of kids playing the one up game. "I'm King", "Well, I'm Emporer", "Well...I'm KING of the Emporers"....cause aren't Tombs just big graves...
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
I'm glad I went back to look at my card, otherwise I would have forgotten the exile part and would have made the most ridiculously broken monstrosity ever. Whew. However, as you point out, it's still way too powerful, but I kinda like the name I came up with, and might try to fix the power level at some point. Anyway, that was a fun contest. Thanks for the comments!
*** WELCOME TO THE MINI-CONTEST ***

Come up with a better name for Gravelord of Tombs. 

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
ColonialDragons wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
*** WELCOME TO THE MINI-CONTEST ***

Come up with a better name for Gravelord of Tombs. 

i'm Koridian, and i endorse this message

and to help people match a name to the design:
G_____ of _____ :bgm::bgm::bgm::bgm::bgm:
Creature - Spirit Avatar
Trample
If G____ of _____ would be exiled from your graveyard, return it to your hand instead.
6/6

fourteen possible names
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show

Groodion of the Ancestors
Gatherer of Decay
Goliath of the Undercity
Glory of the Golgari
Glorificus of the Golgari
Grandmaster of Decay
Gravespawn of the Undercity
Greater Spawn of the Golgari
Grimlord of the Undercity
Groundshaker of the Undercity
Grozoth of the Undercity
Guardian of the Undercity
Gutwrencher of the Golgari
Gravelord of the Undercity

submission: Guardian of the Undercity
The Wierd of the Wurm

hasbro didn't respond

haha, "I play Grandmaster D."

Grotesque of the Unhallowed
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Gallon of Gasoline

hasbro didn't respond

will_dice = Demiurge of Law = Azorious = nice use of gnostic terminology -- i think the power level here is just too strong; cmc 5 to turn all your detain spells into "exile" is really strong; I mean, you can try to say that the fact that it's combo-only balances it, but I'm not sold on that idea at all; it's the guild mechanic after all, and is already on 9 cards; Azorius Justiciar becomes broken beyond belief with this; even the common Inaction Injunction becomes kinda absurd

Yes, true.
The exile was supposed to be like Flicker, the permanent returning at end of turn (so it's just effectively Detain-plus), but I scrapped that part at the last minute... ended up too good, I agree.

What about it now?

Demiurge of Law
Creature - Spirit Avatar
Vigilance
If a nonland permanent an opponent controls would be detained, exile that permanent instead. Return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
3/6

[<o>]
Ideas

Graveborn Menace
Graven Doomlord
Groundsire of Dysfunction (haha)
Golgari Deathlord
Greater Spirit of Decay
Golgari Rotlord

Hmm, I'll have to keep thinking about it for awhile.
Lots of really excellent names here, however I was under the impression that the name had to follow the format of "G_ " + OF + " _" (no "the") in sticking with the Avatars format, which invalidates a lot of the entries.

Valid entries so far:

Gatherer of Decay
Grandmaster of Decay
Groundsire of Dysfunction

Golgari is out for the first part of the name because "Golgari of" doesn't seem to fly.

I think combining some of these makes a good name.  Gravelord of Rot? Groundsire of Decay? Gatherer of Gruesomeness?

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
ColonialDragons wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
Grasshoping Husk

hasbro didn't respond

Grotesque of Death
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Creature - Spirit Avatar
Destined of Erebus may only be blocked by rogues.
Whenever Destined of Erebus deals combat damage to a player, you may encode target Sorcery card onto Destined of Erebus.  If you do, exile that card.
Whenever Destined of Erebus deals combat damage to a player, you may cast a copy of any number of spells encoded onto Destined of Erebus.  You may only cast each copy once.
3/3

Lemme Clean this a bit better for you.

Creature - Spirit Avatar

Destined of Erebus is unblockable.

Whenever Destined of Erebus deals combat damage to a player, you may encode target Instant or Sorcery card onto Destined of Erebus as if that card gained "Cipher".  If you do, exile that card.

Whenever Destined of Erebus deals combat damage to a player, you may cast a copy of any number of spells encoded onto Destined of Erebus.  

3/3 

Seeing that the rule for Cipher is "some instant or sorceries" I'm guessing cipher might lend itself to instant cards in the future. I think "you may cast a copy" make it obvious that it can be only cast once per turn, unless you put double strike on it or this effect is meant more as a flashback mechanic. Also, "target sorcery card" I think means the card has to be revealed, because I don't think you can target a card that's not in public space; therefore it has to be in the graveyard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's my take of the U/B Spirit Avatar 

Demagogue of Deception 

()()()()()

Creature - Spirit Avatar

Demagogue of Deception is unblockable.

Whenever Demagogue of Deception deals combat damage to an opponent, each opponent reveals the top card of his or her library until a land is revealed, then put all the revealed cards in to the graveyard. 

:ubm::ubm:: target Instant or Sorcery card in a graveyard with the converted mana cost or less gains Cipher until the end of turn. Activate this ability only as a sorcery. Activate this ability only once per turn.

2/3

Misdirection Manifest. 

I'm being very conservative with this b/c WotC is also.