Leading newbies to glory! What leader to take?

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi!

I'm looking for help to pick leader or 2ndary leader to boost and instruct my friends who are trying DD for the first time. This is what they came up with in the pre-game session:

Half-orc Ranger(Two-weapon)
Human Wizard
Goliath Warden(Earth?)

I've only played low lvl games and mostly as defender, fighter to be precise.

What I've thought of is a Tiefling Warlord with strong Cha and Int taking up the role as party face as well. I've seen Warlords in action, they really use strikers to great effect. I'm looking for something to let them all shine. Give the Ranger extra turn of attacks, get the warden to a better protection and somehow help the wizard.

The Warden's style of defending is foreign to me, I've understood it doesn't punnish marked targets like the fighter or paladin does, but limits movements around him.

Is the Warlord the best option to support them? I'd to be just another heal bot, but otherwise I've got nothing against others shine. Another path I've thougt about is a Tiefling Paladin, investing a lot in leaderlike abilities, but I'd hate to stand on the Wardens toes. Personlly I've had great fun with a 2nd defender to make barricade of steel between enemies and the squishier party members.

Any help would be appreciated.
Warlord is fine in pretty much any party really. For this party I think I'd go with a Bravelord, going Str/Cha. Lazy Int/Cha is not going to work as well. And your wizard has Int covered already. I'd probably choose Dragonborn for the breath support. Choose the "I hit, you hit" powers as best you can. Pick one lazy power just in case, probably Direct the Strike for flexibility, but Commander's Strike is fine too especially if you go with a reach weapon.

You can make the Warden more effective if he has World Serpent's Grasp (about the only time I like WSG is with an enabling leader around). He can slow something on his turn, and you can let him swing again to knock it prone on your turn. Or the free action attack when he action points can also do the job.

Bravura feature might be a little bit wasted on the Wizard, but the Ranger and Warden will both love it. And the wizard should enjoy Join the Crowd.
If you have to ask, the answer is probably warlord.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I would strongly recommend warlord, and a tiefling warlord with a good Commander's Strike would be a reasonable choice.  The great thing about giving other people attacks is that everybody feels like they are winning.  It is also a way to play a more opped build without stealing the spotlight from the other players.

Warden's aren't as sticky as fighters, but they a bit harder to hurt; depending on your DM you are definitely going to be in melee.  If that is what you like, I would consider taking the Battlefront Leader option and the Armored Warlord feat.  You trade init bonuses (which people in my group always forget they have) and swap it for a really solid AC.  If you can afford a Wisdom of 13, I would also recommend multiclassing in fighter (Battle Awareness) to help out the warden with some off defendering.  I've played a very leadery paladin (it works and is fun), but I would recommend against it with this party.  It really sucks when more than one PC is marking. 

If you want to get fancy (and more complex), there are a lot of hybrid warlord builds that are quite solid and really fun.   You may want to keep it simple for the other players the first time out of the gate; they may not like the game as much if you don't understand what you are doing.
Don't go battlefront though.  Initiative bonuses > battlefront all the way.

Going first is vitally important.  If your players forget it, work out some way to remind them - however you're tracking initiative, that should list their initiative modifier for the purposes of breaking ties, make the amendment to the modifier.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Agree on Initiative. +2 might not seem like much in heroic, but it makes a difference, and +Int/Cha in paragon is huge.
Don't go battlefront though.  Initiative bonuses > battlefront all the way.

Going first is vitally important.  If your players forget it, work out some way to remind them - however you're tracking initiative, that should list their initiative modifier for the purposes of breaking ties, make the amendment to the modifier.

Honestly I'd say in heroic that Brav + Battlefront is on par or better than Combat Leader.  +2 is nice and all, but having high defenses can be very very important (I am assuming if you are taking Battlefront that you are also taking Armored Warlord).  The importance goes up 1) In small groups (they only have 4) and 2) At low levels (They are starting low) 3) when your warlord wants to be right in their face, allah Bravlord.

This is especially true if you want to go the Harlequin Style Brash Assault build (which is DM dependant, but I rather like).  I would also recommend Bravlord over the others because of the fact that two of your players have good basics automatically (and no ways to grant free action attacks yet) and one of the players can pick up a basic as well (although they probably shouldnt and just take the move from brav pres).

Now, when we get to Paragon and you have access to Combat Commander etc then init starts to win out by a good margin, but even then good defenses are important in a small group.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Hmm, I would think in small group it is even more important to have high initiative. When something goes wrong with a small group, it goes really bad. There is no redundancy like in a larger group. I'd want to go first to avoid the really bad stuff from happening. A point or two of AC can help save you some grief, but better party initiative still seems more valuable to me, having played in and run for a few 4-man parties.
Hmm, I would think in small group it is even more important to have high initiative. When something goes wrong with a small group, it goes really bad. There is no redundancy like in a larger group. I'd want to go first to avoid the really bad stuff from happening. A point or two of AC can help save you some grief, but better party initiative still seems more valuable to me, having played in and run for a few 4-man parties.

Having played in and run a few 4 man parties, making your leader less of a target and able to stand for themselves anywhere on the field really makes a big difference.  Heavy shield, scale, ability to get out of killbox, an extra surge vs. +2 init and a feat.  I can see the argument going either way but its a little silly to claim, in my opinion, that the +2 init for the party wins out be default.

To be clear I'm not saying this because I have mathematically worked it out (because, in part, I think there are too many variables).  I'm saying this based on experience at table. 
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Int+Hide is better AC tho.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Int+Hide is better AC tho.

Then you are probably a pretty crappy Bravlord though .
Show
Str/Int Bravelord actually totally works. Because a lot of the Bravelord powers aren't top tier.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Str/Int Bravelord actually totally works. Because a lot of the Bravelord powers aren't top tier.

True, but if you look at the rest of the post you see I'm not talking about a general idea of bravlord.  It is a specific build that I like that I was offering up as an option (the Harlequin Style, front line Brash Assault, Bravura Warlord).

You can totally do a Str/Int bravlord in hide with high int, a light shield and combat leader instead of battlefront shift.  I just wasn't proposing that build.
Show
But part of your larger point of 
"Honestly I'd say in heroic that Brav + Battlefront is on par or better than Combat Leader"

And you were including the feat for scale within that. Giving Str/Int as a Bravelord option again reduces it purely to Battlefront vs. Combat leader, at which point a shift 3 vs. +2 to Init is damn close, leaning towards Combat Leader 
But part of your larger point of 
"Honestly I'd say in heroic that Brav + Battlefront is on par or better than Combat Leader"

And you were including the feat for scale within that. Giving Str/Int as a Bravelord option again reduces it purely to Battlefront vs. Combat leader, at which point a shift 3 vs. +2 to Init is damn close, leaning towards Combat Leader 

I did say that one side of it was "+2 int and a feat" as a note.

Edit: Aslo you have to include the heavy shield part. 
Show
If it is low level, and these guys are new, any leader will work. I would go full on single class though, and not go lazy. If they mess up, you want to have the possibility to smack that monster yourself.

EDIT: Just because I have an obnoxious dislike of the warlord, since everybody uses the, and this is a party full of newbies, make yourself a Skald and have some fun ! 
Thanks for all the replies!

Yeah, we are starting on lvl 1 and hopefully the game will pique them to continue beond the first adventure.

How would a lazy lord work? I've been thinking from a rp perspective it would be fun to run a character that doesn't want to get his hands dirty and lets the rest of the party to do all the work. Does he even need a weapon to use his powers? What's the best option for a lazy lord, combat leader?

On the other hand I see that a warlord can't always rely on their party when it's only 4 characters. Still there's two melee characters so he could get away with it. Would a tiefling make a good bravura warlord or should I go with Dragonborn.

How does skald funktio as a leader? How does it lead?

Thanks again!
Bravelord=STR/CHA making melee attacks => go Dragonborn
Lazylord=INT/CHA never making melee attacks => go Tiefling

Bravura the presence can be used by a lazylord or a Bravelord

I would also propose the Bravelord so that you can also do some damage but either would be fine.

Dragonborn Bravlord would be my suggestions

Feats: Armored Warlord, Harlequin Style, Expertise, Inspiring Breath.  In whatever order you so choose. 
Show
I could play either of them. The lack of encouragement for the lazylord and the mental image of a tiefling bluffing and taunting, opening his enemies for reprisals from his allies.

How would I make an effective teifling lazylord? What presence?

I'll probably make both and decide on the first session depending on how backgrounds match.

You don't have a particularly good basic attacker in your party, plus your party is small. I would avoid lazy. But if you realy must go that route, Tactical, Bravura, Resourceful all work fine for a lazy lord.
You have a ranger - play an artificer and spam magic weapon (whose bonuses are doubled by the use of twin strike).
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
How does skald funktio as a leader? How does it lead?

First of all, Warlords are the optimal choice, even relatively poorly build, they do well. Because these are new players, positioning might be an issue, so I would advice against going lazy.

The skald, has an aura that allows its allies to heal themselves on their own turn, and uses basic attacks to impose conditions on monsters.

Opposed to that, if you prefer not to be a weapon user, bard with implement would also work. (Staggering note often helps with positioning)