Mark Of Utopia

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mark Of Utopia -
Sorcery
Until your next turn, target creature deals combat damage to other creatures in form of adding mana to your mana pool of the color/s of your choice. That mana doesn't empty from your mana pool as steps and phases end.
Draw a card.
As a sorcery, this doesn't seem like it would have very much use. I mean, if it's dealing damage in the form of granting mana, wouldn't it actually be giving that mana to the player being damaged (your opponent, in the case of a sorcery)? I'd rather go with preventing damage and adding mana equal to the damage prevented. Like:

cmc3
Instant
Prevent all combat damage target creature would deal this turn. At the beginning of your next main phase, add X mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool where X is the amount of damage prevented this way.

It's less confusing than "dealing damage in the form of adding mana" and can be used to either thwart an opponent's attack or utilize one of your big nasties as a mana ramp.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

You're the one that's draining the creature's power, though! ^.^ It's supposed to create interesting decisions when it comes to blocking, it's not supposed to punish opponents for making decisions when they didn't know of your trap..
So make it a sorcery instead of an instant, but still word it the damage prevention way.

EDIT: Oh, and make it only prevent if it'd deal combat damage to a creature.
So, you're basically suggesting that I should go with exactly the abilities in the opening post, but with Edacade's wording? I thought that it's possible to use my version of the wording, since it's very close to wither + infect without being too confusing..
So, you're basically suggesting that I should go with exactly the abilities in the opening post, but with Edacade's wording? I thought that it's possible to use my version of the wording, since it's very close to wither + infect without being too confusing..

That's essentially what I was suggesting, yes.  The difference between this and wither/infect is that a creature with wither/infect is still "damaging" the opposing creature, but just putting -1/-1 counters on it instead of dealing damage.  And people are already familiar with -1/-1 counters being put on creatures in other ways.  It's very intuitive and an easily grokable.   With this, you're doing nothing to the opposing creature.  To you or me, the ability may not be confusing.  I understand what the card is trying to do.  It's just that the wording doesn't spell it out in the best way possible.  Something closer to Edacade's wording does.
I like Cats's wording, but I'm biased in favor of more cards with the "deals damage in the form of" wording. I disagree that it doesn't spell it out clearly. I think it captures the flavor of using the fight as a power source in a much more interesting and direct way than the relatively roundabout damage prevention method.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
You could go the route of lifelink instead.

"(Combat) damage dealt by target creature also causes you to add that much mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool this turn. {invocation of Upwelling}"

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)

I am Black/Green

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

I like Cats's wording, but I'm biased in favor of more cards with the "deals damage in the form of" wording. I disagree that it doesn't spell it out clearly. I think it captures the flavor of using the fight as a power source in a much more interesting and direct way than the relatively roundabout damage prevention method.

The thing is, it doesn't feel like it's doing anything at all to the opposing creature.  It no longer feels like it's doing damage at all, unlike Wither/Infect.  It doesn't matter what creature you block with, or even how many, as the end result is the same.
Edacade's idea sounds like a really good compromise! ^.^

I know. Although, I've only ever designed cards that used the wording as a drawback...

I lost the original cardfile it was in, but it was something similar to this...

Big Blue Meanie
Creature-Elemental Leech
Damage dealt by ~ also causes you to put that many cards from the top of your library into your graveyard.
5/5

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Except it changes the tone of the original card concept, since the creature will deal damage in addition to granting you mana.  Just pointing that out, since you said you wanted it to create tension as to whether or not you should block the creature.
I guess that it's an interesting decision even if that creature deals combat damage! ^.^