Judge please

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
My turn just started I untap then at the same time I cast sleep and my opponent uses Gideon's Lawkeeper ability. What happens?
the creatures don't need to be tapped by Sleep to not untap
the one tapped by Gideon's Lawkeeper and the lawkeeper itself will also not untap
proud member of the 2011 community team
So I'm not able to tap him so that he can't tap my creature. Even if I chose to tap him he's still able to use the ability because tap is part of it right.
Your thing gets tapped.

Lawkeeper will not untap on your opponent's next turn.

Your thing gets tapped because your opponent used the lawkeeper "in responce" to you casting sleep. That is, after you cast sleep but before it takes effect or "resolves."
My turn just started I untap then at the same time I cast sleep and my opponent uses Gideon's Lawkeeper ability. What happens?

I think what you mean to say is

"My turn starts. I untap. Then I draw a card. Then during my main phase, I cast Sleep. My opponent responds with Gideon's Lawkeeper."

You can't cast Sleep during your upkeep (well, usually), and you certainly can't cast it during your untap step. You have to go through your draw step and into your main phase to cast sleep.

His lawkeeper will tap your creature first, then sleep will resolve and tap the rest of his guys. None of his creatures will untap on his turn (including the lawkeeper).

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

You don't use a spell, you cast it.

You can't cast a spell at the same time as another. You can cast it in response to another (which means after the first is cast, but before the first one resolves).

You also can't cast Sleep if your turn just started. The earlier you could is in your Main Phase. Even if you had Hypersonic Dragon out, the earlier you could would be in your Upkeep Step.

He can activate Gideon's Lawkeeper's ability in response to you casting Sleep, allowing him to tap a creature (likely one of yours) before Sleep resolves.

Sleep will be unable to tap Gideon's Lawkeeper (since it's already tapped), but being one of the targetted player's creatures, it will still not untap during that player's next untap phase. (If you click on Sleep, you'll see a ruling confirm this.)

Stack: Your Sleep, His Lawkeeper's ability.

You both pass and Lawkeeper's ability resolves tapping down its target.

Stack: Your Sleep.

You both pass and Sleep resolves, tapping down his untapped creatures and making a replacement effect affecting all his creatures on the field at the time Sleep resolves, preventing them from untapping during their controller's next untap step.

Stack: Empty.

If Sleep had Split Second (an ability from Time Spiral block), he'd be unable to activate Lawkeeper in response.
If you had an instant that gave your creature hexproof or protection, you could respond to the Lawkeeper ability and have the Lawkeeper ability be countered.
If you had Voidslime, you could cast it in response to counter Lawkeeper's ability.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

I cast sleep and my opponent uses Gideon's Lawkeeper ability. What happens?

1) It's OK for your opponent to use Lawkeeper's ability and tap one of your creatures before Lawkeeper gets tapped by Sleep. That's how Magic works: whenever you cast a spell, other players may «respond», and their responses will take effect before your spell does.

2) Lawkeeper will still be «frozen» by Sleep, even if it got tapped by some other mean than Sleep itself. 

It's not Logic, it's Magic!