Investment Cards

42 posts / 0 new
Last post
After playing in the Modern season and finding out Lava Spike is a $4 common, I'm curious what cards in Standard you guys think have potential to go up in value a year or two from now. Like what cards would you collect and put in a box to trade/sell years from now? These are what I'm leaning on right now:
Snapcaster Mage
Deathrite Shaman
Lingering Souls
Loxodon Smiter I think has Modern potential later on
Thespian's Stage as another Vesuva for EDH players

What are your guys investment cards? I'm thinking more along Standard sets but anything goes.
Liliana of the Veil is another heavily played card. However, it along with Snapcaster and Deathrite are already high.
I'm buying shock lands while they're still this low. 

And from an older perspective, revised duals also. The prices keep going up.  

I also see a lot of people buying EDH cards for investing  
I don't expect the new shocks to be reprinted with how many RTR/GTC/DRM packs are being opened, especially with how common they'll be in Dragon's Maze. WotC saturated the market with Shocks, probably to make it easier to get into Modern. The old shocks have retained general value though with their "vintage" aspect.
I agree, EDH will drive some cards up after printing stops, but what do you think some of those cards will be? I'm thinking Crypt Ghast and foil guild leaders are safe bets.
if they were obviously going to go up, they'd be up.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

"Speculation is the practice of engaging in risky financial transactions in an attempt to profit from short or medium term fluctuations in the market value of a tradable good such as a financial instrument, rather than attempting to profit from the underlying financial attributes embodied in the instrument such as capital gains, interest, or dividends."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculation 
Most of them will go down when they rotate not up. Most of them will go down ALOT instead of up. Usually half.

The only ones that do not go down are ones that have NO USE IN STANDARD, but some utility in modern or legacy.

So you are looking for cards that have strong synergy with cards OUTSIDE standard.

You are also probably looking at the wrong rarity. Many commons start off at a nickel a piece, valuable commons eventually go for a couple of dollars a piece. This is a 40 to one expansion. Many uncommons start off at a quarter a piece but eventually become worth 8 dollars a piece such as kitchen finks.

Rares on the other hand are generally valued at their use in standard for right then. Plus if they are to good they get banned :p

Let me actually tell you the one card that changed the most in value over the smallest time. bazaar of baghdad was a quarter rare for years. Now it is worth $300. Understand why and you will understand what to hoard.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
That's a great explanation skeindubh. I guess I'll aim for a playset of eternal played rares and hoard up on Lingering Souls.
How about you invest on the stock market...
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
I can't really call Magic cards an "investment". If you are throwing money at cards in an attempt to make a profit, might I recommend instead that you toss that money into something more profitable? Certificates of Deposit? Savings Bonds? Stocks?

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Lol, after what we've seen with the global financial market? I hate StarCity with a burning passion, but at least they're more scrupulous than the people that control the prices of stocks, bonds and certificates.

I don't think Magic cards can go up in price indefinately, no matter the card, but by the time legacy staples drop in value due to global lack of interest in Magic: The Gathering, we have MUCH bigger financial problems than possessing too many pieces of worthless cardboard.

Get Snapcaster Magi once they tank following standard rotation, word on the street is they see play in modern and legacy.

Also HOLY **** how is Liliana that expensive??
Lol, after what we've seen with the global financial market? I hate StarCity with a burning passion, but at least they're more scrupulous than the people that control the prices of stocks, bonds and certificates.

Scruples aside, the market has been hovering at or near record highs, and many companies are posting record profits. You will see a better, faster return by actually investing your money than by buying cards and hoping they go up in price.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Scruples aside, the market has been hovering at or near record highs, and many companies are posting record profits. You will see a better, faster return by actually investing your money than by buying cards and hoping they go up in price.

I agree.

The only people wo really made any profit (other then WotC Smile) are the ones who bought Revised Dual Lands back in the 90's for $10-15, and never got rid of them.  Especially ones like my friend; he left after Urza, kept his card and just got back in last fall.  All his duals are worth upwards of $80, his Show and Tells, Force of Wills etc. all sky-rocketed.   These people however, did not get into it for profit, they played the game early and now own many staples.

As others have said, the game is at a point where you won't really have the chance.  You may get lucky with the occasional card that becomes a Legacy/Modern staple, but you can't know which those will be.  I don't believe investing in something that's value is only based on peoples desires is the best plan (see gold).  You're best bet is to invest in property, stocks or business, or just have a good savings account.  Just my 2 cents.

Now, if you wanted to get into a format where you may at least see a return on your investment, go Legacy.  It's your best chance.  Standard is the WORST choice to see a return.  You'll pay $20+ for a rare that is worth less the $10 once it cycles out.  Again, just my 2 cents.
Arg. This is worse than the 'what packs should I buy' threads. Invest to invest. Buy cards because you need them to play the decks you want to play. Avoid Standard.

A bunch of amatuer hour speculation just makes the secondary market more stupid.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Haha alright guys, I didn't expect this negative a response. Simply I'm a big trader, I don't pay cash for anything, so I was wondering what cards currently low in price that through speculation (a complete gamble I don't mind) should be picked up right now. I'm not investing, or rather spending, any actual money. I have a crap ton of junk rares I would happily trade towards a certain card or two that might go up in value.

But no one seemed to pick that up so thread closed, or at least I won't be checking in. 
I think the negative response is in part to the fact that there really aren't any cards in the current sets that will go up in value.  The shock lands might double in price once they go out of print again, but that's about it.  To be honest, I can't remember the last card that spiked after rotating out of standard.  Stoneforge Mystic temporarilly spiked once Scars brought back the swords and introduced batterskull, but once the ban-hammer fell she dropped in price.  At that point, I don't believe she had rotated yet either. 

The real money-cards are ultimately cards that Wizards probably didn't mean to print.  In the past few sets they've been a lot better about not producing anything remotely as broken as baneslayer angel or Jace.  As a result, there's a lot of homogeny in card values.  It remains to be seen whether the few cards going for ~$20 or so have the stamina to cary those prices into Modern or Vintage.  Which brings up another issue:  Card value is ultimately tied to format legality.  Most of the power cards in Vintage are unlikely to be printed again outside of FtV.  The ban list for Modern is too shifty to make any kind of investment prediction.
My well selected investment cards include: Tarmogoyf (my playset was $45), The Abyss, Tabernacle, Force of Will. I've also ridden a few cards to effectively get a free playset. And I don't even trade that much.
Level 2 Magic Judge Lite a man a fire, warm him for a day. Light a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
People, shocklands will never double in price. There won't be a demand for them once they rotate and they are played in modern decks but only as one-ofs because you just fetch them. Original shock lands before Modern was created were really low in value and the only reason they went up so high is because there wasn't a large amount of them available since they were relatively old. Reprinting the shock lands was obviously to help people get into modern.

For speculation, look at cards that are worth a lot in standard that will rotate. Then determine what would the replacement for that card be and buy those.  
Shocks are a bad investment like you guys have been saying, mainly because WOTC doesn't want them to be expensive. When Standard rotates the market will flood even more than it already is with shocks, I for one expect them all to be in the $4 range following rotation. Snapcaster seems like a decent investment idea just because of how impossibly useful it is; Lingering Souls and Boros Charm could work but the higher production these days means that we are probably done seeing $8 uncommons. Still, I'd say picking up Souls and Charms at rotation and holding on to them could work pretty well for you. Foil guild leaders are always a good idea, as are obvious EDH cards (U and B primodials, Stage, Crypt Ghast, Aurelia's Fury, etc.) Maybe I'm wrong, but I have a suspicion that Sigarda might go places, and any card that is already seeing Legacy or major play in Modern (Grizzlybanned, Deathrite, Liliana) are probably good investments, especially if they are mythics.
Lingering Souls and Boros Charm could work but the higher production these days means that we are probably done seeing $8 uncommons.

Inquisition of Kozilek rotated a year and a half ago and it's already up to $8.
I can't really call Magic cards an "investment". If you are throwing money at cards in an attempt to make a profit, might I recommend instead that you toss that money into something more profitable? Certificates of Deposit? Savings Bonds? Stocks?

i saw a cartoon about that once, it said if i did not buy war bonds i was practically giving my money to Hitler.... may have been a little outdated...
all the things!
I miss the old days.
The RTR uncounterable spells strike me as possibly worthwhile when they're under $5. Burning-Tree Emissary and Experiment One if they don't get banned in Modern (not saying they will or should be banned, but they've been pretty active in Modern)
The end is always nigh.

This is REALLY not the place to get into it over the market, but the market always goes up when money gets printed on the expectation of future inflation. Printing money cheapens all the money we already have(which is sometimes called infaltion since the price of everything rises).

Stocks on the other hand represent ownership in an endeavor to make things, they do not care about how much money itself is worth, they just reprice accordingly. (the whole basis of keynesian economics is that this is sticky and takes awhile for eveyone to make correct decisions).

We are printing money by leaps and bounds, this forces bonds down and stocks up. Do not regard surging prices in stocks as anything other then just a repricing due to inflation and expcted future inflation as well as the flight from bonds.

(in other words it does not mean what you think it means)
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Yeah, but liquid commodities like that *do* make a nice hedge against inflation.

But, hey, if you're not buying stock for the dividends... then the whole market is doing it wrong.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
I have heard that silver is right now low price and demand is rising, so instead of buying magic cards for investment i would buy a couple ounces of silver bars Tongue Out
Fun fact: Precious minerals are measured in troy ounces, which differ in weight from imperial ones, so watch out for that.
What's heavier; an ounce of feathers, or an ounce of gold?
Urza is my Shepherd. Planet Multiverse
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
I'd hate to accidentally walk partially into one.
Random Tolarian wizard's last words. ;)
Real life fact: I'm terrified of Grizzly Bears, Polar Bears... and bears that could potentially blink into reality through a time rift.
Mein Schwanztugger.
Ooh! An idea! Invest in diamond futures, then make sure a few more countries get added to the blood diamonds list!
76783093 wrote:
What's heavier; an ounce of feathers, or an ounce of gold?

Well since nobody else bit, I will.  An ounce is an ounce is an ounce I guess.
Trap activated!!

Precious metals are measured in Troy ounces, while most everything else in the US, sometimes Britain, its colonies, and Canada, is measured in Avoirdupois ounces. 1 Troy ounce = approximately 1.09714 Avoirdupois ounces, so an ounce of gold would weigh more.

...I'm really sorry. That was fun and I haven't pulled that one out in years lol.
Urza is my Shepherd. Planet Multiverse
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
I'd hate to accidentally walk partially into one.
Random Tolarian wizard's last words. ;)
Real life fact: I'm terrified of Grizzly Bears, Polar Bears... and bears that could potentially blink into reality through a time rift.
Trap activated!!

Precious metals are measured in Troy ounces, while most everything else in the US, sometimes Britain, its colonies, and Canada, is measured in Avoirdupois ounces. 1 Troy ounce = approximately 1.09714 Avoirdupois ounces, so an ounce of gold would weigh more.

...I'm really sorry. That was fun and I haven't pulled that one out in years lol.

Nobody cares. 
Nobody cares. 

I cared.
I came.

Also I gave a massive hint to that puzzle above.
Certificates of deposits are not a good investment right now, and haven't been for many years.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Lingering Souls and Boros Charm could work but the higher production these days means that we are probably done seeing $8 uncommons.

Touché, sir

Touché, sir

That's a good point. Around November last year it was going for $2.50.  Really wish I had picked upa  set then.  

Though it could also be said that its back down to $8.  It was up around $10 for awhile.  At least up here in the frozen North.
IoK costs what it does is cause of a decks name sake and its a budget option to Thoughtseize, Cabal Therapy used to be as much as thaughtseize but it got reprinted recently.
I miss the old days.
IoK costs what it does is cause of a decks name sake and its a budget option to Thoughtseize, Cabal Therapy used to be as much as thaughtseize but it got reprinted recently.

Cabal Therapy was up that high?  Seriously?  Damn.  I mean it's a great card, and I want a playset (or 2), but I just never knew.  I came in a few months after Graveborn was released, so by the time I looked it up it was down to $5-6.  

I agree with you about IoK; in most cases it does the same job as Thoughtseize.  Not always, the CMC limit will prevent you from hitting the card you really need too, but not all that often.   
Sign In to post comments