Weird Esper-Modern

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm a month in since I've started playing Magic and I've been reading a ton and gathering various ideas. I dig the Esper colors and have seen a bunch of Esper Control decks that I admire. This one is sort of a hybrid version...where I want to focus on Hexproof (maybe Shroud, too) for creatures combined with some of the control elements of a traditional Esper Deck. 

This is very rough and would like some advice w/ certain cards. And I don't know how much of each card to put in so this is a rough estimate. Sideboard ideas?

Creatures:
x2 [C]Geist of Saint Traft[/C]
x2 [C]Snapcaster Mage[/C]      
x2 [C]Sen Triplets[/C]
x3 [C]Invisible Stalker[/C]
x3 [C]Elgaud Shieldmate[/C]

Maybes:
x3 [C]Meddling Mage[/C]
x3 [C]Augury Adept[/C]
x3 [C]Souls of the Faultless[/C]

Other Spells:
x3 [C]Azorius Charm[/C]
x3 [C]Detention Sphere[/C]
x3 [C]Think Twice[/C]
x2 [C]Countersquall[/C]
x2 [C]Curse of Wizardry[/C]
x2 [C]Go for the Throat[/C]
x2 [C]Saving Grasp[/C]
x2 [C]Sphinx's Revelation[/C]
x3 [C]Supreme Verdict[/C]
x1 [C]Wrath of God[/C]
x3 [C]Telling Time[/C]
x2 [C]Witchbane Orb[/C]

Maybes:
x2 [C]Diabolic Tutor[/C]
x2 [C]Dissipation Field[/C]
x2 [C]Robe of Mirrors[/C]

Possible Planeswalkers (need advice on this):
[C]Sorin, Lord of Innistrad[/C]
[C]Venser, the Sojourner[/C]
[C]Jace, Memory Adept[/C]

looks interesting. personally i'd take out invisible stalker for something a bit more powerful, and creatures like elgaud shieldmate aren't very useful when a majority of your creatures already have hexproof. im not quite sure what to add in here, but i would consider replacing the mentioned cards...

as far as the planeswalkers go, i would go with venser, the sojourner because he fits in your deck the best. sorin, lord of innistrad being 2nd best. if you do add venser try to add more creatures with "enter the battlefield" effects, because that will help you a ton with venser's +2. things like augury owl are nice, because you seem to like the card draw

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
I thought about running a couple of [C]Trepanation Blade[/C] for the Stalker...but not sure it was valuable enough to do it since I'd have to get the right draw for it to work. Cutting Stalker may be ideal.

[C]Elgaud Shieldmate[/C] would be more valuable if I put something in from my "Maybes" creature list (which, if I cut Stalker, would create room)

Also...I plan to run 24-25 lands...so if I have 14-16 creatures....which 21-23 other spells are the strongest for the Main deck? And for sideboard?

For Venser...I'd probably need to add a creature or two where I'd get benefit from "when this creatures enters the battlefield...etc etc" ...[C]Aether Adept[/C] could work...
I thought about running a couple of [C]Trepanation Blade[/C] for the Stalker...but not sure it was valuable enough to do it since I'd have to get the right draw for it to work. Cutting Stalker may be ideal.

[C]Elgaud Shieldmate[/C] would be more valuable if I put something in from my "Maybes" creature list (which, if I cut Stalker, would create room)

Also...I plan to run 24-25 lands...so if I have 14-16 creatures....which 21-23 other spells are the strongest for the Main deck? And for sideboard?

running through your decklist, you don't need 25 lands. 23 would probably be optimal, especially with your card draw. as far as sideboarding, to be honest idk. i dont have a very extensive knowledge of magic cards compared to other members :P i just notice certain flaws. play your deck against some people and find out what your losing against. add cards into your sideboard to help with those more specific situations

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
If [C]Venser, the Sojourner[/C] is put into the deck...which of these cards would provide the best value:

[C]Aether Adept[/C]
[C]Deceiver Exarch[/C]
[C]Geralf's Messenger[/C]
[C]Inquisitor Exarch[/C]

Then I'd have to decide how to arrange my creatures for the Main Deck...which would be damn tough.