Blood Moon

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am assuming that Blood Moon making all nonbasic lands mountains means they can only be tapped for red mana since it does not say 'in addition to'.  Am I correct in my assumption?
That's correct.  A nonbasic land that becomes a Mountain loses any existing abilities, and can only be tapped for red mana.  Here's a Comprehensive Rules quote to help:

305.7. If an effect sets a land’s subtype to one or more of the basic land types, the land no longer has its old land type. It loses all abilities generated from its rules text and its old land types, and it gains the appropriate mana ability for each new basic land type. Note that this doesn’t remove any abilities that were granted to the land by other effects. Setting a land’s subtype doesn’t add or remove any card types (such as creature) or supertypes (such as basic, legendary, and snow) the land may have. If a land gains one or more land types in addition to its own, it keeps its land types and rules text, and it gains the new land types and mana abilities.

A nonbasic land that becomes a Mountain loses any existing abilities, and can only be tapped for red mana.

Careful: not ANY abilities are removed, as you quoted yourself:
305.7. (...) It loses all abilities generated from its rules text and its old land types (...) this doesn’t remove any abilities that were granted to the land by other effects...

For example, a bloodmooned land enchanted by Racecourse Fury would still be able to hasten creatures.

Wizards of the Coast: outsourced to Elbonia

What if Vesuva copies a Plains?
Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.

Before or after Blood Moon is on the battlefield?
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)

it'd enter the field as a tapped Plains 

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Then you will have a tapped Basic Land -- Plains.

Can you clarify what you're asking?

Vesuva copying a Plains is a basic land and not affected by Blood Moon
proud member of the 2011 community team
Sign In to post comments