Dragon's Maze Guild Combinations

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
At the DMZ release, at least at my store, you'll pick 2 guilds that share a single color and get two packs from one guild, two from the other, then two DMZ packs. Based on RTR and Gatecrash, which two guilds will you pick?

I think I'm going to play Junk= Selesnya + Orzhov. It gets the benefits of nice creatures, has a lot of reach, accesses excellent removal, and there's the tiny chance I'll crack a Pack Rat.

If I do two events I'll play Naya as well, with Selesnya + Boros giving me access to a beautiful creature curve.

What are your combos, and why?

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Unless it is resticted there is no reason not to take Selensya/Orzhov. Both were the best in their respective sets and both should work well together. In fact, I've been waiting to see Urbis Protector and Selensya together at last. Oh, and Miming Slime. That's decent even without populate, I can only imagine how OP it is going to be in Dragon's Maze.
Izzet and Dimir for Grixis

goblin electromancer and guttersnipe will be very happy to meet hands of binding and stolen identity. Borrow a bit of creatures from rakdos, a bit of control and evasion from azorius, and a hypersonic dragon...
It is my understanding that this is not how it works (your shop may be different).

My understanding is, you take a guild and you get a pack from that guild.  You then get a mystery guildpack with an adjacent guild.  For example, when I take Dimir, I may get a GP from Azorius, Izzet, Rakdos, or Golgari.  I'm not sure whether this "mystery" pack can be an adjacent guild from the same block.  If so, Orzhov or Simic might also be possible.

And then you get 4 packs of Dragon's Maze.

If I got to pick the second guild, I'm not sure what I would take.  Probably Izzet?

I will say, I am not looking forward to the 3-5 color decks all the time.  I know a lot of people are super excited for this, but it will likely cause me to play a lot of constructed until M14 comes out.
I want to bloodrush a scorchwalker onto an unblocked hellhole flailer. Just needs 7 mana.
I want to bloodrush a scorchwalker onto an unblocked hellhole flailer. Just needs 7 mana.

Costs way less than 7 mana to Bloodrush that.

He's referring to the flailer fling ability too.

Obv.

I remember looking for 7 mana to cast+sac in the same turn back during RTR.

Obv.

I remember looking for 7 mana to cast+sac in the same turn back during RTR.

Yep, those were the days.

Rakdos/Boros the ultimate in aggression
Although simic/golgari could have some nutty counter shenanigans happening
Rakdos/Boros the ultimate in aggression

That could be frightening.  Rakdos Cackler, Bloodfray Giant, Gore-House Chainwalker, Rakdos Shred-Freak, and Splatter Thug all fit nicely within a main Boros gameplan.  If you main Rakdos, you don't gain quite as much but still get some nice tech. 

Also, from my understanding the way it works is that you choose your guild, you get that guild pack and an unchosen and unknown guildpack from a guild that shares a color with your guild.  I forget if it's one from Ravnica and one from GTC always.

Selesnya/Orzhov could be particularly interesting.  Both like the durdle game, and coupling Selesnya's early game stall with Orzhovian Extort could be an awful experience to be on the receiving end of.

Rakdos/Gruul is interesting also, as it gives you a huge rush of damage early on that can really use Bloodrush for an early alpha strike.

Azorius/Dimir could be also interesting, with detain and flyers from Azorius to enable Cipher more readily.

Simic/Selesnya.  I don't even think I need to explain why this could be an annoying and brutal match-up. 

Golgari/Gruul is another one to consider, albeit less so. 

Azorius/Orzhov is another match-up similar to  Selesnya/Orzhov.  Detain and Azorius lock down/Flyers could be particularly strong.

Of course, we'll have to see what DGM brings to the table.  Just some thoughts on possible guild combinations.

Rakdos/Boros should be fun!
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
The real challenge is Izzet/Dimir!
I was thinking about this last night.

Orzov-Azorius-Dimir
"Corrupt Police Deparment" - either stall and mill or stall and extort.

I also liked
Golgari-Simic-Dimir - "Your graveyard, my graveyard, we're all going there anyway".  Plus sac/scavenging + biomancers is pretty funny.  And hey, a simic deck with real removal!

rstnme: "Everything looks good when your opponent passes 4 turns in a row."
The official announcement was that you pick one of the ten guilds and inside your pack you will get one guild pack for that guild and one for a secret guild from the other set which shares a colour, plus whatever mix of the normal boosters.

I think at this stage I would like to pick Rakdos and I'm hoping they'll be paired with either Gruul or Boros.  I think I would prefer Boros as I can also see some nice Orzhov cards I could use in a Rakdos deck.

Cheers
Found this. Looks like my store is deviating from the announcement. I'm not sure what exactly it means going through the maze, but it's possible we should begin discussing which are the strongest of the 10 guilds to play too, as the draft format will be 3 packs evenly split between RTR, GTC, and DGM yah?

I think I'd go something like this:

1. Orzhov
2. Selesnya
3. Rakdos
4. Boros
5. Azorius
6. Golgari
7. Gruul
8. Dimir
9. Simic
10. Izzet

With the idea that those top guilds have better splashability. Orzhov gets Selesnya, Selesnya gets Orzhov, Rakdos gets Orzhov and Boros, Boros gets Rakdos, Azorius gets Boros, etc. I think I'm mostl likely the "wrongest" about Golgari, as Orzhov really gives it a lot of much-needed removal, and Daggerdome Imp is still a thing.

Maybe I don't suck as much at this game as I think, I just am cursed with Blue affinity.
rstnme: "Everything looks good when your opponent passes 4 turns in a row."
Sign In to post comments