You Make the Card of the Week: Malpractice in Ethics (3-19 to 3-25)

56 posts / 0 new
Last post
So as I'm sure many people have noticed, Rush is doing a Card of the Week voting thing wherein everybody gets to nominate up to 2 (if I read correctly) cards per week. I, for one, have not been doing much in the way of searching for cards to nominate. So, this is my attempt at bringing cards worth nominating to me.

Starting at around 12:01am tonight/tomorrow morning, I will post a criteria for people to make cards. The goal of making cards? To earn the use of my nomination(s) in the next Card of the Week installment that Rush posts (which will be the week of 3-19-13 thru 3-25-13). I'm sure this breaks some sort of ethics code. But I don't have the Ethics Rulebook handy nor do I have it memorized, so I'm not too worried about it.

There won't be any real form of grading. Just whichever card makes me feel the most excited (or, if none of them make me feel excited, then the least broken) will be crowned the recipient of my nomination.

I'd post a criteria now, but I'm sure some would post a little too early. So instead, use the time between now and midnight to post all your misgivings of such a "contest." Without flaming, baiting, or other such behaviors restricted by the Code of Conduct.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Winner's Circle:

1st Criteria
Jury Box
Artifact
, , Skip this turn's combat step: Exile target creature with X time counters on it, where X is the number of creatures you control. It gains suspend if it doesn't already have it. Activate this ability only during your precombat main phase.
Guilty; by civic justice or secret coercion, guilty.

2nd Criteria
Geistflame Trap
Instant - Trap

If a player dealt you 5 or more damage this turn, you can pay instead of paying ~'s mana cost. Spend only red mana on X.
~ does 2 damage to target player for each mana spent to cast it.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)

After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

I am Black/Green

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

I approve of this product.
Well, yours was really the only opinion I was worried about. Nice to know you don't mind my use of a "contest" to pick cards to nominate.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Criteria: Make a card with an activated ability which requires an unusual cost to activate. Interpret how you will.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Snot Ooze - g
Creature - Ooze
Exile a creature named Snot Ooze you control: Put a +1/+1 counter on Snot Ooze, then put two +1/+1 counters on Snot Ooze for each card exiled with it. Activate only as a sorcery.
1/1

Inspiration - S.N.O.T. It grows at the same rate.  
Inertia Battery  
Artifact
Deactivate an ability you control: add to your mana pool. 
(To deactivate an ability, counter an activated ability that
is on the stack.)

...I've been hanging out with Pablo too much. Oh well, you asked for unusual!
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.

Mysterious Benefactor
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
An opponent gains 2 life: draw a card.
If an opponent has 20 or more life, you lose the game.
2/2

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Are we allowed to post more than 1 card?

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:

-shrugs- I didn't expressly forbid people from posting multiple cards per criteria...although it should go without saying: don't spam the thread.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

-shrugs- I didn't expressly forbid people from posting multiple cards per criteria...although it should go without saying: don't spam the thread.

Understood.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
ColonialDragons wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
Null Field
Enchantment
: Counter target spell you control and target spell you don't control.
"It's unusual because it's an enchantment with a cost." - Jace Beleren

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

Inertia Battery  
Artifact
Deactivate an ability you control: add to your mana pool. 
(To deactivate an ability, counter an activated ability that
is on the stack.)

Deactivate an ability you control besides thisl:
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

@KeeperofManyNames: Meet the en-Kor. :>

@Dudibus: Costs can't target.

My Card:

Linkwood Auramancer

Creature — Elf Mystic
, Move an Aura from another creature you control onto Linkwood Auramancer: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
2/2
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

Silent Healer

Creature - Human Wizard

Until end of turn, you no longer recieve priority (You cannot play spells, abilities or take special actions.): Gain 4 life. Activate this ability only during an upkeep.

"Some wounds can only be healed by time."
—Teachings of the Oracle

1/2

So, you can still do stuff in your upkeep, and attack and block but not play spells or activate abilities or play lands... etc... etc...

I am not doubting you, I am sure your right.  Could you point me to the section in the comp rules that states this?  I am reading the comp rules more and more and I have not been able to find the sections that states Costs can't target.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
ColonialDragons wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:

I am not doubting you, I am sure your right.  Could you point me to the section in the comp rules that states this?  I am reading the comp rules more and more and I have not been able to find the sections that states Costs can't target.

While not an actual answer to your question, targeting is only used on effects that use the stack, mainly spells and abilities. Paying a cost doesn't use the stack.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Yeah, but you can make your ability:

An opponent gains 2 life: Draw a card.

And it will work.
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

What if there is more than 1 opponent?

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
ColonialDragons wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
What if there is more than 1 opponent?

Then you just choose one. Look at Clash or Death or Glory as reference.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Demon's-head Devotee    
Creature- Elf Cleric 
, Sacrifice a creature you don't own: Put a 5/5 black Demon token onto the battlefield.
"Willing hearts will not do. The fear, the panic, the eventual resignation... these are the things that please our masters the very most. "
1/1
Faith's End 
Land
Remove a counter from target permanent, : Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
"Stripped of logic and reason, but digesting enlightenment." - final verse of Ballad of Faith's End

Tibalt's Laboratory
Legendary Land
~ enters the battlefield tapped unless you discard a card at random.
: Add to your mana pool.
, destroy a land at random: All instances of the word "target" are replaced by "a random" until end of turn. All instance of the words "at random" do not exist until end of turn.

Alright. Any flaws with this one...?
Essence of Not-an-actual-submission
Enchantment
Concede the game: Draw 7 cards.
"I don't think you thought this through very well, master."

You ask for unusual, I give you unusual. Anyway, on a slightly more serious note:

Rowenda, Champion of Upheaval
Legendary Creature - Human Shaman
Discard your hand, sacrifice all other permanents you control: Draw 7 cards, and add X mana of any combination of colors to your mana pool, where X is the number of permanents sacrificed this way. Play this ability only when you could play a sorcery, and only once per turn.
4/4
She is fast when it comes to attracting followers, but she is even faster when it comes to tiring of them.

Edit: Realized this would actually make sense having four colors. And, as there aren't any four-colored legendary creatures out there, I wanted to make one.
Jury Box
Artifact
, , Skip this turn's combat step: Exile target creature with X time counters on it, where X is the number of creatures you control. It gains suspend if it doesn't already have it. Activate this ability only during your precombat main phase.

I probably should have mentioned I intend to post a second criteria at some point after three days of this week have passed. This is only the second day.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Borrowed Growth
Enchantment
Exile a land you control: Target creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
At the beginning of the end step, if no creatures are on the battlefield, sacrifice ~.
Nature has lent us her strength. We fight this battle in Her name, that she may be restored in our victory.
Criteria: Make a card with an activated ability which requires an unusual cost to activate. Interpret how you will.

Ancestral Grounds --
Land (R)

:T:, Tap an untapped card in your graveyard: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. (Cards in graveyards don't untap.)
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Sureity of Silence         
Enchantment
Exile your library: You get an emblem with "You don't lose the game for having 0 or less life."
Exile a permanent you control: Put one card from your graveyard on the bottom of your library.
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1

I really like it by the way. Makes me want to "reactivate", or. . . "preactivate?"

Maybe I'll have an entry for this later? 

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Faith's End 
Land
Remove a counter from target permanent, : Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
"Stripped of logic and reason, but digesting enlightenment." - final verse of Ballad of Faith's End

As has already been mentioned in the thread, costs can't target. You might want to fix that. Also, is it on purpose that this allows you to remove counters from other people's permanents as part of the cost? Because if it is, that is really cool, but also overpowered. 
Tome of Corrupted Knowledge
Artifact
Draw a card: You get poison counters equal to number of cards in your hand.
"Legends tell of an ancient book that makes you more powerful yet weaker with the turn of each page."

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?

As has already been mentioned in the thread, costs can't target. You might want to fix that. Also, is it on purpose that this allows you to remove counters from other people's permanents as part of the cost? Because if it is, that is really cool, but also overpowered. 

Thanks. Fixed. Hopefully. I'm still not quite certain what I just submitted. May have to very well come back for another redo.

I think I'll reveal my choice from among the entries sometime tomorrow morning, after which I'll post the second criteria. So, roughly 24 hours from this post.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

updated my card
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
Okay. I guess I still have time?

Oblige an Opponent (To oblige a player you must let that player make each of your decisions for the next phase of his or her choice. (Superfluous: I.e. if he or she chooses "My next combat phase", then he or she controls you for his or her next combat phase, whereas, if he or she chooses "Your next main phase" then he or she controls all of your actions for that phase.))

Sobligation
Enchantment
Oblige an Opponent: Return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand. (To oblige a player you must let that player make each of your decisions for the next phase of his or her choice. Players may not oblige themselves.)
: Discard a creature card. If you do, you gain 1 life.

"The saltiest tears come from eyes that have never cried." 

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
It has now been roughly 24 hours.

Of all the cards submitted, there were several which had very interesting costs, but the effects for the costs were just not appealing or awkward. So, I have to go with Rush's card: Jury Box.

Skipping phases or steps as a cost is interesting, and the effect is really good for that cost. A nice balance, I feel. I mean, it'd be just broken if you could exile your opponents' creatures and then attack for the kill in the same turn, so it makes sense that skipping your combat step would allow you to more cheaply exile an opponent's creature. The only real downside I can see with this card is that it's possible to exile a creature with 0 time counters (and thus permanently, which seems to go against the flavor of the card). This can be easily fixed by simply adding a "...and only if you control at least one creature" to the activation restriction.

Honorable Mentions
Fenix--When I saw your activation cost, I was like "YES! This is the one!" then I saw the effect and I was like "Oh, no, it's not." I understand that certain costs that are usually effects would need to be balanced in order to use them, but you have to give the player a reason to want to activate the ability. To weigh the drawback against the gain. The only gain with your card is drawing a card, and while the drawback does get less intense the fewer cards you have in hand, it costs too much to cast for that drawback, and would likely never see play in any deck (unless they print a method for transfering poison counters from one player to another, or the deck is chock full of instant spells).

altimis--I like the idea, but I believe only permanents can be tapped and untapped, which makes your cost an impossible cost to pay. It would be nice to see a cost involving cards in the graveyard that wasn't exiling them or putting them on the bottom of libraries, though.

SuperSpawnWrithe--You can't sacrifice permanents you don't contr...hey, wait, I could have sworn this said "creature you don't control" before I started this post. =/ -uses multiple tabs-  Hmm...well, either way, it's an interesting cost but the card just didn't tickle my fancy like the Jury Box did.

KeeperofManyNames--While an interesting concept, it's a bit too powerful without other costs added on to it. As someone else may have pointed out, there are plenty of cards with activated abilities that cost nothing to activate, which makes this an infinite supply of colorless mana. Why "Deactivate an ability you control" instead of "Exile an activated ability you control"?

As there are still 3 or so days left for nominations, and I still have a second nomination to use, lets have another criteria.

2nd Criteria: Make a card that has an alternate cost that costs more than it would cost to "hardcast" the card. Please don't use non-existent mana costs.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Lotus Myr
Creature - Myr
: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Enhance - You may cast Lotus Myr for its enchance cost. If you do, it enters the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters, and has "at the beginning of each upkeep you may put an artifact token onto the battlefield with 'Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.'"
1/1

spawnwrithe's card is better than rush's

(though the token needs flying)
VizzerdrixKindercatch -
Creature - Rabbit Beast Spirit (C) OR (R)
As long as this card is rare, you may pay rather than pay ~'s mana cost.
6/6

This card appears in boosters both as a common and as a rare.
Heart of Courage - ()
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Flash
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2.
Inspire - (You may cast this spell for its inspire cost. If you do, change its text by replacing all instances of 'Enchanted creature' with 'Creatures you control'.)
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
This is how I should have submitted it:

Jury Box
Artifact
, , Skip this turn's combat step: Exile target creature and put X time counters on it, where X is the number of creatures you control plus one. It gains suspend if it doesn't already have it. Activate this ability only during your precombat main phase.

Sign In to post comments