2 Tormod's Crypt
2 Pithing Needle
2 Deathrite Shaman
3 Syncopate
3 Scatter Arc
1 Mystic Genesis
2 Golgari Charm
[/deck]

Shadowchu and I began working on this deck as a janky project of Corpsejack Menace + Bioshift... we stumbled onto several unorthodox cards that began building a pile of potent synergy. 

Early iterations involved maximum undying creatures, but the power level drops off too fast after Geist/Vorapede. We worked on bumping the evolve synergy, but same as undying the drop off lands fast as Gyre/Krasis.

We experimented with Zameck Guildmage, Garruk Relentless, and Thragtusk. Zameck was very strong, but overall not good as a stand alone play. Garruk Relentless had decent synergy in the deck, but wasn't very good at stopping some of the aggro in the format and gets overpowered by Bant. Thragtusk was neck and neck with Vorapede for a long time, but having a 5/4 and a 6/5 with tons of keywords is more important to this deck than thragtusk's deal. Vorapede also helps you make a demons after getting in for vigilant damage and eating chumps.

General Matchup Commentary

The game plan is trade early with aggro and look for opportunities to create surprise demons. Usually the surprise is the first time you show them a rapid hybridization on an undying creature with a high priest out... and your demon blocks+kills some attacker.... my favorite being a resto angel. Bring in Desecration Demons.

Against control you're definitely the beatdown... don't overextend multiples of the same creature, use rancors to increase pressure... and try to keep back a creature or two in hand for the double sweeper that has to come. Your removal trumps all their bombs and you can gas up with disciple of bolas as the game grinds on. Bring in Notion Thieves and Appetite for Brains.

Against reanimator you need to create as large a board presence as possible as fast as you can to pressure... use decays to snipe fiend hunters or mana stumbles.... or sin collectors... putrefy and far/away G1 is for the bombs.... RH is to get demons up... if you cant do that use it as an extra out to AoS as needed. Sideboard should be easy. Bring in DRS and some Ground Seals (3 and 2). And Appetite for Brains.

Against hexproof pants you're in a weird spot. If you can control via decay on a painful enchantment or fencing ace/mana dork you jump on it... otherwise you've got to wait for them to create evasion via flight/etc and let them swing in, pop that and throw blocks. Other times you've got to recognize you won't be controlling and you've got to find the right time to flip tempo and try to race. That's a nailbiter, but doable. Bring in more far // away for this matchup. 

SCG Classic Birmingham

I took this to SCG Classic in Birmingham Saturday.

Round 1 I got paired with PS, I Bant You (I believe). G1 for him was nutty, t1 dork, t2 dork, t3 thrag, t4 thrag, t5 thrag. I nearly battled out of this and stabilized. Game 2 he smoothly ramped into an Angel of Serenity and I couldn't stop drawing lands. This match was a lot about bad shuffles after deck reg on both sides I reckon, but he did what he had to do and I spent a lot of time shuffling afterwards to help. 0-1

Round 2 I got paired with a zombies deck. This went very uneventfully and I overpowered him with Demons and Vorapedes. Game 2 he showed me Killing Wave at a very tough moment and I had to go down to 3 life and sac most of my board, but I was able to finish him in spite of powering up a Descration Demon to 10/10 while pushing damage in. Luckily the deck is well equipped to kill its own creatures a lot. 1-1

Round 3 I got paired against Bant again. Game one I hit the nut draw and had him at 15 on 3 with a demon, a 3/2 geist, a high priest, a 3/3 frog lizard on board and another geist/rapid in hand. He chained out 2 thragtusks and 2 sphinxs but I was hitting him too hard for him to have to stabilize. Game 2 I was working him over again and he rolled out a craterhoof behemoth and was able to 30 me out of nowhere when he was at 2. Game 3 He hit Rest in Peace, D-Sphere.. and I had Abrupt Decays for them both and buried him again with huge guys. 2-1

Round 4 I got paired against Naya Midrange. He does the hey look at me on 3 where I played two BTE and a Smiter. I stabilize at 3 (not stable by definition) and run him over with big guys while he desperately looks for a topdeck spear. Game 2 he gets me with triple smiter and spot removal on my curve. Game 3 I stabilize early off his mull to 6 and time walk him every turn with removal on the guy he tries to wolf run. 3-1

Round 5 I got paired against Aristocrats. I'm still living in the past with Lifelink being a triggered ability but it didn't matter game 1 since he rocked a lot of my guys on blocks but all of his died and I killed with a 6/10 krasis he had no answer to. Game 2 he hits good removal on a curve on my guys, including a boarded in drs, and gets there. Game 3 I start making demons on 3 and manage to eek him out. Tight game. 4-1

Round 6 I've battled back up to table 13 and I play the guy who finished 3rd on Jund. Game 1 he plays a Ground Seal, but at least it cantrips. He goes t4 huntmaster and rakdos returns me for 3 to make me bin 3 cards and go hellbent. I flip a rapid off my topdeck and make a beast, increase geist size and make a demon. I go kinda nutter on two more good draws and he has no real answers and dies. Game 2 he ramps quickly and I miss my 3rd color for a couple turns. I cannot quite get into it and have to turn his Olivia into a Frog Lizard.. he's able to get around my blockers with more guys and get there. Game 3 he hits a pillar on my strangleroot (it was a mistake to play it on 2 in this matchup, cost me the game since I had a rapid). Then he has a dreadbore for my krasis. And then he plays Olivia and I draw no slips/rapids in 5 turns to kill her, nor could I create a faster clock. Lots of bricks. He does what he needs to do and kills me. 4-2

Since I had a first round loss my breaks weren't that great and I had a 3 hour drive... and I didn't care about a top 16/32 prize payout (which wasnt guaranteed) I went ahead and dropped.

Give this a spin. It's legit.

EDIT: Shadowchu has moved on to new projects. It's now a Niche Brew. =p

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

looks neat. I always liked bug anyway.

What's the deal with Elusive  krakis and gyre sage? Does the undying/ hybridization make them evolve that fast?

Rapid hybridization: hits your undying guys, snappys, disciples, and helps for anti removal tech. Am I missing anything else it does for you? I feel like I am. 
looks neat. I always liked bug anyway.

What's the deal with Elusive  krakis and gyre sage? Does the undying/ hybridization make them evolve that fast?

Rapid hybridization: hits your undying guys, snappys, disciples, and helps for anti removal tech. Am I missing anything else it does for you? I feel like I am. 

You can rapid a strangleroot giest to turn on Skirsdag High Priest and have enough guys to tap with. 
Rapid is also for killing traditionally tough to answer creatures (Obzedat, Olivia, anything multicolor with cmc>3, sometimes fliers)... and yes as Chu said it gives you the degenerate ability on 3 to create 5/5 demons since when you pop an undying creature with it you get a new creature and still have the undying creature.

Often times Rapid says:
U
Instant
Add 9 power to the board at instant speed. 

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

if it's that nutty, why not use lone wolf to increase the chances of it happening? Did lone wolf just not prove worth it?

Why use elusive krasis over the one drop evolve guys? Because he's a wall? Harder to remove?

I noticed you didn't change anything about your side after your tourney (didn't mention it, anyway). Assuming your satisfied with it at the moment, could you go over the card choices there?

Apologies if these questions seem silly. Just wondering. 
Rapid is hot. 

Needz moar Disciple. Disciple so gud.

I'm not up to date with the meta. Are we still slowrolling to turn 5/6 Tusks? Because if not, your curve seems a bit slow.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
Panda,

Young Wolf is too low power to be happy rolling off the top mid/late game. It was tried and tested and dropped.

Elusive Krasis bricks the meta. Its hilariously strong. Huge wall... that becomes unblockable and kills people. It's so easy to turn him into a 3/7... and then while your opponent is flailing around at Vorapede and Demons the Krasis gets to benefit from the action... and the Krasis just finishes people off while creating completely unfavorable combat phases for your opponent.

The tough thing to do is pick the right cards to stay relevant when battlecruiser magic begins... and not lose to aggro decks. I've done a lot of work on this and picked the cards that do this best.

Regarding the sideboard I actually did have 2 Garruk Primal Hunter in the sideboard and cut him once I yanked Relentless. Ooze Flux does what we want just fine... provides for grindy and cheap mid/late game interaction... is harder to remove than a planeswalker... and adds more sweeper resistance. We also cut Witchbane Orb for the 2 Golgari Charms. After I found out that Rakdos Return was laughable to my deck's power and we don't need it for drownyard (needle) or Liliana, etc... then Charm can jump in and help some of the common hate against us (which we dont care about, like RiP, D-Sphere board ins)... and it helps pop Assemble tokens if that ever gets big.

Otherwise we want Devour and Twin for Hexproof.... and Twin was brought in for Olivia. Needle is for sweet manlands, human reanimator combo, planeswalkers, all kinds of awesome.  Thragtusk is for burn decks. They won't see it game 1 and likely won't expect most people to sideboard it in over Vorapede... since everyone knows Thragtusk > Vorapede and if it didnt make the main 60 you must not own them or are a moron. DRS is for regular reanimator decks (grindy ones) and aristocrats.

Serene, yes Rapid is sex. Still lots of Thragtusk Thragtusk. Some go fast, some go slow. The curve is fine against either since the deck can interact early and late with oodles of relevant removal and high power evasion. Once setup people just throw thragtusks at my guys to try to reach an answer...

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

Can a Boros Reckoner kill an Elusive Krasis by itself? 
Can a Boros Reckoner kill an Elusive Krasis by itself? 

Now that I think about it, no, it actually can't.

If I fail to detect sarcasm, I would try this deck if I played standard though. I knew there had to be a BUG deck that was good in the annals of standard somewhere, what with Inn block/Golgari/Simic all floating around with recursion and permanent pump.
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
Shadow took the nice angle of leading a horse to water... the good news is a lot of forum users want to drink new water.

Elusive Krasis is crazy strong and very underestimated. 

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

Is Snapcaster need to be there since I have no Snapcaster. Also have you thought of Predator Ooze? Very cool deck guys
Ooze was also tested out. He is good with Rapid Hybridization however he doesn't trigger evolve on Sage and can only evolve Krasis once. Its usefulness is also lessened now that Corpsejack is gone. And he makes the manabase even harder to work off of. In the end, cut.

Snapcaster is pretty strong as a 2x. That said you can run this without Snapcaster and use Zameck Guildmage. Its a similar effect and you can do a lot with a zameck guildmage in this deck. However its not quite as strong.

Thanks, Shadow helped out along the way so he's getting billing... but as I've told him he's the Ben Affleck to my Matt Damon here. 

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

... but as I've told him he's the Ben Affleck to my Matt Damon here. 

Hahahah golden
I am very surprised to see experiment onedid not make the cut here.  Any reason?
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
innovative
Experiment one was in an earlier build. However we don't so much with him as more aggressive decks and rapid wont let me regenerate it.... I know, right?

So experiment one did not
Make it either.

Thanks for the props.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

I think a good comparison for this list is the Aristocrats in the sense that you usually have a very diverse lines of play based on how your removal suite works in conjunction with your own creatures. This is a tricky deck to get a handle on so I suggest people to goldfish with it a lot and try out all of the posibilities with each hand you draw. Sometimes you can just win by pure aggression but for the most part you're going to have to learn when to pick your spots and how to run the deck properly. It has a very high potential and I hope we can get it to where it should be. 
A friend of mine was playing a similar list, but had Master Biomancer. He let me play with it, whiles he used my deck, and it has to be said. Rapid on a Vaorpede while Biomancer is in play?

Filth. 

Biomancer is another of those cards that has a high upside on synergy like corpsejack menace... But as a stand alone card is not as good. It can't solve any board positions and simply wins more. Plus you don't want bio manner putting counters on undying creatures. They need to give value on death first.

It is a good idea but like shadow said you have to carefully evaluate lines of play and the biomancer closes them here.... And we want them wide open.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

I think Golgari Charm could be maindeck, because

1) I like mass removal

2) I like mass regen of my doodz

c) It's funny with evolve
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
Have you tried either Duskmantle Seer or Simic Manipulator?
I know I'm not NicheChu, but I wouldn't try Duskmantle Seer, not with all the aggro running around. Plus (worst case) revealing Vorapede or Disciple of Bolas would suck...... alot, and defeat the purpose of the Disciple in the process (by purposely hitting yourself for wanting more "consistent" CA) Plus Disciple does what it needs to do in this deck fine enough.

Simic Manipulator is something harder to dismiss, but is absolutely mandatory to keep evolving, which this deck might do, but Elusive Krasis takes up another 3 CMC slot as a very solid card that is hard to remove compared to the manipulator.
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
Agreed, Nippleator is overcosted and Duskmantle Seer is terribad; there's a reason it's been dropping like a rock since release day.
Those cards are ok.

Is everyone just going to suggest cards in BUG that aren't in the deck?

Not trying to be crass, but the juice of the deck is the careful synergy between every card and having multiple lines of interaction... plus great removal. Duskmantle Seer doesn't synergize. Manipulator kind of does, but the random techy card slot is already filled by Skirsdag High Priest.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

How about Crowned Ceratok, maybe as a 2 of? It doesn't even need to attack, just give trample to everything you've got. Makes undying even better.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Interesting, surely enough... has draw power, has some evasiveness, and big blockers to boot.
I've been looking for a G/U or BUG list that can deal with decks that run red (I want a large win percentage vs RDW and BorosDW, which is stupid popular at my LGS) that was also somewhat resistant to board clearing. This looks somewhat promising.

Another comment on Predator Ooze... In my experience, he's simply amazing. When it hits the field on my side of the board at my LGS... well, he's garnered more loathing than Thragtusk. Then, of course, you're supposed to run Ulvenwald Tracker with him, but I can see how that wouldn't fit into this list. If it were me, I'd at least consider sideboard for Ooze.

May I ask what the Ooze Flux is in the sideboard for? That doesn't strike me as useful to bring in toward any specific matchup.
Jund cannot beat Ooze Flux and they will have no other answers to a rapidly growing board state outside of mizzium mortars... which won't kill everything with an ooze flux out.

Pass on Crowned Certaok. We have a lot of evasion already (unblockable, trample, flying) and it is smaller than Deadbridge, and less awesome than Disciple of Bolas.

Ooze could be considered as a sideboard card... maybe... big maybe. It really stretches the manabase a lot. It might be a decent card vs. Jund, but the issue is it doesn't answer their biggest problem for us, Olivia. 

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

I'm a big fan of big poppa ooze but it has no place in this list. It's too slow and we don't have any pieces in the deck that works with it. I think Kibler has taken it as far as it'll go. 

Duskmantle, while I like this card a lot, doesn't do anything for this deck. I'd be very hesitant to play cards that are double mana costs that aren't green. Yes, the deck's mana is good but we're trying to be perfect without any kind of fixing. The instant you start moving towards even in all colors instead of base green is when this deck will collapse. If you want to try different cards to see how it works, feel free, but beware what changes you're making because if you get too far from the core concept it's a different deck and the syngeries it's built around won't function properly.  
Undying Evil may be an interesting option. I could be used as a combat trick to trade with an opponents creature, or as removal protection in a pinch. It brings your creature back with a +1/+1 counter, and it retriggers ETB effects (including Evolve). It is also decent for setting up Morbid for Tragic Slip and Skirsdag High Priest.

As a small aside, I am curious if you two did any testing with a similar list in Bant colors. You lose High Priest, Disciple, and Tragic Slip, but the addition of Resto Angel and maybe some stuff like Loyal Cathar (which is probably too greedy) may be an alternate route to go with the deck. Interesting to hear more about the testing you guys did with this.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
What do you think of taking out one of the Pithing Needles in the sideboard for a Witchbane Orb?

What do you switch in Evil Twin against, and what do you switch it with in the deck? By the way it is worded, I assume that it can copy hexproof creaures but not destroy them.

Considered Stormbound Geist? I'm pretty sure you have, but I think it is worth noting.

I'm likely to test this list out a little and maybe even build it for use in FNM.
Simic Charm would get in as the next spell before Undying Evil. But Evil isn't a bad idea.

Removing black also cuts Abrupt Decay... and adding Loyal Cathar (WW) makes the mana tougher. And its very tough already.

BUG is the right build since making 5/5 demons blows resto angel out of the water. And we'd be doing what other bant decks are doing... but worse.  

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

A little surprised not to see Silverheart in the SB. Why not add 5 power to your drake in one go? I'm assuming you tested tho, so yeah.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

What drake? Read the deck again, please.

Also Silverheart doesn't synergize with any of the underlying themes like Vorapede does. And Vorapede generates CA. Vorapede, so good. 

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

What drake? Read the deck again, please.

Also Silverheart doesn't synergize with any of the underlying themes like Vorapede does. And Vorapede generates CA. Vorapede, so good. 

Krasis, not drake. Foot in Mouth

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Simic Charm would get in as the next spell before Undying Evil. But Evil isn't a bad idea.

Removing black also cuts Abrupt Decay... and adding Loyal Cathar (WW) makes the mana tougher. And its very tough already.

BUG is the right build since making 5/5 demons blows resto angel out of the water. And we'd be doing what other bant decks are doing... but worse.  

Yeah, I was gonna ask about Simic Charm, since its an obvious addition to the deck.

As for Abrupt Decay, losing it doesn't seem like it would be too bad if it could be replaced by something like Detention Sphere, which fills basically the same role Abrupt Decay does. Loyal Cathar probably is way too greedy though.

I can see your point about Bant. Thinking about it, a Bant version of this list probably would play like a janky version of Bant Auras.

I still really like Undying Evil though, and have since it was first previewed, the card doesn't get the respect it deserves. I can just imagine some silly scenarios with it (especially in a deck like this).

I can just see it in a matchup where you boarded in Thragtusk. Play Thragtusk, gain 5 life, trigger evolve. The following turn attack with Thragtusk, opponent blocks Thragtusk, cast Undying Evil on Thragtusk. Trade with your opponents creature, get a 3/3 token (which triggers evolve), trigger Morbid, Thragtusk comes back with a +1/+1 counter, gain 5 life from Thragtusks ETB, trigger Evolve again for the 3rd time and Thragtusk is ready to die again, giving you another 3/3 token, Morbid trigger, and Evolve trigger.....sickening amount of value.

"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
The catch is... it is a very do nothing card by itself.

Simic Charm can at least unsummon something if its a brick. But Simic Charm is something worked with before and removed a lot... but as the deck evolves... heh... it continues to get re-evaluated. 

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

True, drawing it with an empty board is pretty terrible. Its dead on SRG and Vorapede too. This deck probably isn't the place for it, but if the deck evolves it may be something to keep in mind.

These are a list of cards that you may or may not have already tested with, just throwing more ideas out there. I recognize a lot of these as "win more" cards and some that just from the outside looking in seem quite clunky.

Just more food for thought.

Cryptborn Horror

Desecration demon

Driver of the Dead

Grimgrin, corpse-born

Increasing Savagery

Lazav, Dimir Mastermind

Liliana of the veil

Lumberknot

Primordial Hydra

Sapphire Drake

Slum reaper

Thrull parasite

Vampire nighthawk

barter in blood
The cards are too heavily costed into Blue or Black... the deck is Green... splashing a little black and blue.

Other of these cards are do nothing without help on the board.

Not terrible ideas. 

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

The cards are too heavily costed into Blue or Black... the deck is Green... splashing a little black and blue.

Other of these cards are do nothing without help on the board.

Not terrible ideas. 

Yeah I agree, just thought of some synergy that may or may not work.

I would atleast TRY primordial hydra. I think it synergizes very well when you do have a board but is a pretty good top deck as well. Its kind of one of those cards that they either answer on the spot or they just let you win with it. 
Hydra is too tough to play profitably.

It rolls over to Searing Spear (a big deal) at CMC 5 or less.

At 5 mana I'm playing Vorapede. 4 Mana we're working 5/5s. at 6 and 7 mana we're slamming multiple plays a turn. 

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes