Minecraft-Inspired Prone and Chop Build: Class?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been playing a lot of Minecraft recently, and have been focusing on a lot of woodsy stuff, such as making treehouses, chopping/pruning trees, reshaping hills, etc.  Because of focusing on wood a lot, I've been using an axe moreso than a pick, and it inevitably inspired me to make a D&D build based on it.

I'm not sure where exactly to begin, but the basic building blocks I have so far are:

1) I want him to use an axe
2) I want him to have Headsmans Chop and a reliable way to have people be prone when I attack in order to take advantage of it
3) I'd like him to be "woodsy" themed; possibly some form of Druid or other primal class, also probably trained in Nature.

I have been thinking that Scout might be a good way to go.  They have an axe-based build and they like static modifiers due to multiple attacks.  However, I was also thinking of a Brawler Fighter because of Pin Down.

So, the basic concept of the build is a melee striker that picks a target, knocks him down and keeps him there, and axes them in the face until they are dead.  Rinse and repeat.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to begin for such a build? 
Sig
Yes, I killed your BBEG with his own lair:
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.

1) Arena Fighter; take Axe and Flail for your arena weapons.

2) Take flail expertise for starting feat

3) Take Footwork Lure as an At-Will power

Due to Arena Fighting, you get all the benefits on your Axe from your Flail.

Flail expertise + Footwork Lure = Level 1 At-Will prone with your Axe.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

Even though you're primarily aboveground, a Minecraft themed character really should have a burrow speed Wink

Earth Shaker PP from Warden gives you some burrowing and a bit of proning, or Hide of Worms/Girdle of the Umber Hulk would give you conditional burrowing for less opportunity cost.
:D Burrowing was definitely not going to be part of the plan.  Though it may be inspired by minecraft, I'm not trying to recreate minecraft in D&D.

CliveDauthi: I'm pretty sure the only thing Arena Figher does is let you use feat bonuses to attack and damage.  It doesn't allow every single feat you have that applies to one weapon also apply to another.  As far as I know anyway.
Sig
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
:D Burrowing was definitely not going to be part of the plan.  Though it may be inspired by minecraft, I'm not trying to recreate minecraft in D&D.

CliveDauthi: I'm pretty sure the only thing Arena Figher does is let you use feat bonuses to attack and damage.  It doesn't allow every single feat you have that applies to one weapon also apply to another.  As far as I know anyway.

Not exactly.

"...any of your feats that grant feat bonuses to attack rolls or damage rolls with one of your arena weapons apply to your other arena weapon as well."  So Flail Expertise would apply in its entirety to your axe if your arena weapons are a flail and an axe.

Ok, that's cool.

Now, that helps with getting them prone when I hit them, but they are just going to stand up on their turn.  I need a way to have them be prone when I start my turn, so my attack actually gets the Headsmans Chop bonus.  The only way to get the bonus damage the way you describe is to AP, so I'd get the bonus damage once (or multiple times if I AP for a multiattack, but you get the picture).

Which is why I was looking at Pin Down w/ a Brawler Fighter. 
Sig
Original CharOpper
Ok, that's cool.

Now, that helps with getting them prone when I hit them, but they are just going to stand up on their turn.  I need a way to have them be prone when I start my turn, so my attack actually gets the Headsmans Chop bonus.  The only way to get the bonus damage the way you describe is to AP, so I'd get the bonus damage once (or multiple times if I AP for a multiattack, but you get the picture).

Which is why I was looking at Pin Down w/ a Brawler Fighter. 

Play something that likes to make multi-attacks (so basically, a Scout or a Ranger), find a way to prone on the first hit, then reap the benefits of Headsman's Chop with the second hit. Two ways leap immediately to mind: first, heavy use of slowing and WSG (might require a set-up hit, but there are ways to inflict an early slow), or second, Flail Expertise (which is awkward, since you'll need two Expertise feats if you want your axe to be worthwhile). If you're going with the latter, perhaps a dragonborn Scout, MC Fighter, with Lashing Flail, Flail Expertise, Draconic Arrogance, and Headsman's Chop? Very one-trick-pony, but you're the one who suggested a Scout, so one-trick-pony is the name of the game anyway.

Alternatively, if you can find a way to throw Conquering Blow and/or Demand Obedience in there, you can pretty much guarantee that you're going to be hitting a prone target one way or another.
I'm no expert, so it probably isn't close to optimal, but Combat Agility (Fighter Superiority replacement feature) allows you to chase+attack/prone enemies who provoke opportunity off-turn. Situationally assists that idea.

Play something that likes to make multi-attacks (so basically, a Scout or a Ranger), find a way to prone on the first hit, then reap the benefits of Headsman's Chop with the second hit. Two ways leap immediately to mind: first, heavy use of slowing and WSG (might require a set-up hit, but there are ways to inflict an early slow), or second, Flail Expertise (which is awkward, since you'll need two Expertise feats if you want your axe to be worthwhile). If you're going with the latter, perhaps a dragonborn Scout, MC Fighter, with Lashing Flail, Flail Expertise, Draconic Arrogance, and Headsman's Chop? Very one-trick-pony, but you're the one who suggested a Scout, so one-trick-pony is the name of the game anyway.

Alternatively, if you can find a way to throw Conquering Blow and/or Demand Obedience in there, you can pretty much guarantee that you're going to be hitting a prone target one way or another.

Not sure if I read wrong, but incase I didn’t one small correction.

You only get the benefits of cross expertise sharing if you’re a fighter with the class feature “Arena Fighter”, which means you can’t just MC into fighter and then share your expertise features across your weapons.  It works so well because pure Arena Fighters get automatic two “arena weapons” which you become proficient in (and thus able to share expertise with) (and two starting superior weapons is always nice)

Now you could do this if you burn another feat for a fighter talent (arena fighting doesn’t come up as an option but most DMs will agree it should be (I think they just never added it to builder))

Once you hit paragon, a half-elf (with Twin Strike via Dilettante) Arena Fighter can prone with the first hit and then have Headsman's Chop on the second.

Not sure if I read wrong, but incase I didn’t one small correction.

You only get the benefits of cross expertise sharing if you’re a fighter with the class feature “Arena Fighter”, which means you can’t just MC into fighter and then share your expertise features across your weapons.  It works so well because pure Arena Fighters get automatic two “arena weapons” which you become proficient in (and thus able to share expertise with) (and two starting superior weapons is always nice)

Now you could do this if you burn another feat for a fighter talent (arena fighting doesn’t come up as an option but most DMs will agree it should be (I think they just never added it to builder))

Not what I meant. I meant that you use a flail for the first hit and an axe for the second hit. No Arena Training shenanigans needed.

Ah, re reading that and seeing what you mean now

My brain doesn’t do well without coffee lol

What about a ranger with wsg and hobbleing strike and twin strike?
Turn one - quarry up and slow using what every attack you like as long as it hits
Turn two -Twin strike attack 1 - Hit slowed mob and knock prone via WSG
Turn two -Twin strike attack 2 - Chop at head using quarry dice to prolong the slow ready for the same next turn.

This does however mean you must hit with both attacks, therefore accuracy is the key. So maybe grab vicious advantage aswell.
Turn one - quarry up and slow using what every attack you like as long as it hits
Turn two -Twin strike attack 1 - Hit slowed mob and knock prone via WSG
Turn two -Twin strike attack 2 - Chop at head using quarry dice to prolong the slow ready for the same next turn.

This does however mean you must hit with both attacks, therefore accuracy is the key. So maybe grab vicious advantage aswell.

Why are we breaking it into 2 turns?

T1 - Minor Quarry
T1 - Twinstrike, slow, Twinstrike, prone.

If you AP on the first turn (or don't have to move and get have offhand strike) then you are good to go.

Not 100% sure it is worth it or not (yay extra 5 damage but you are giving up quarry damage and 2 feats).  If prone is your thing it isn't too bad though.

Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
I didn't really think about minor attacks, which the melee ranger has a few of. I also agree that this isn't the most optimal, but it does fit the OP's criteria. Having a character that does what u want is a lot more fun than an optimal one that doesn't.
I didn't really think about minor attacks, which the melee ranger has a few of. I also agree that this isn't the most optimal, but it does fit the OP's criteria. Having a character that does what u want is a lot more fun than an optimal one that doesn't. [/quote]

+1

I didn't really think about minor attacks, which the melee ranger has a few of. I also agree that this isn't the most optimal, but it does fit the OP's criteria. Having a character that does what u want is a lot more fun than an optimal one that doesn't. [/quote]

+1

Then again if it isnt doing what you want, then it isnt optimal >_<

+1

Then again if it isnt doing what you want, then it isnt optimal >_<

Sure it can

You can have your combo working all day long just the way you want it.

But if it isn’t the max number crunching machine that a class can be it isn’t optimal in comparison to other builds of a certain class which are stronger and more proficient in carrying out their role (defender/striker/ext.)

I just am in agreement that I would rather play something I find cool; then just play the 100% most optimal build for a certain class.  

It just was stated (and thus approved with a +1 by me) because there are a fair amount of posters who just completely sh!t on ideas if they don’t stand on equal ground w/the optimized build, but I play DnD and not DnDtactics so I like cool things over number crunchers.

Sign In to post comments