Limited Sets: Overall Power Level (Branching Bolt -> Clan Defiance)

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Perhaps it is because I came back to playing Magic around Alara Block, but it seems like the overall power-level for limited sets has been going down. Someone floated the idea that Clan Defiance is the top non-Mythic rare in Gatecrash, and while I'm not certain it's the clear #1, it's at least in the top 3. Yet Branching Bolt from Alara Block gives Clan Defiance a run for it's money, and Branching Bolt was a common. So was Oblivion Ring, which blows away all of the removal in Gatecrash.

So I thought it might be fun to rank the overall power ratings of the various Limited sets that have been released. If you had a number of 8-pod drafters, each drafting a different Full Modern Limited block, which pod would come out on top if all of the pods played against each other?

I think Alara Block would have the best record overall, where do the blocks fall after that?
Branching bolt is an obvious violation of the "new world order" in that there's no 2-for-1 cards at common.

I think they are definitely weakening removal over time, making it more conditional, strategic, or "interesting" if you prefer.
Timmy doesn't like it when his creatures die.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Sign In to post comments