Old card names re-purposed as set names

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello all, I really like the idea of an old card getting to shine by having a set named after it. Time Spiral, Planar Chaos, Future Sight, and Cold snap are all examples.  What would be a card name that you would like to also see as the name of a set? For me I like Outbreak, urza's rage, jokulhaups, and Stand or fall
My Commander decks! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942477/Endrek_Sahr,_Master_of_Disaster http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942329/*Rumbling_Stomach_Noises*_Guildpact_Borborygmos_Deck
I would love to see a set named Jokulhaups.

Every card would contain some form of the text "Destroy all..." and "if". 
Haven't they standardized names to match the planes as they have moved away from multiplane jumping in one set?

I want a set named Black Lotus.
http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20802.jpg
How about Conflux?

Hello all, I really like the idea of an old card getting to shine by having a set named after it. Time Spiral, Planar Chaos, Future Sight, and Cold snap are all examples.  What would be a card name that you would like to also see as the name of a set? For me I like Outbreak, urza's rage, jokulhaups, and Stand or fall

I think Coldsnap/Cold Snap is a coincidence.
You are being sarcastic about Conflux, right? And considering Cold Snap was printed in Ice Age, I doubt Coldsnap was a coincidence.

Morningtide is a card, too. ;)

Some of the really horrible red cards with awesome names would make excellent set names (in terms of describing the awesome conflicts that are going to occur within the set's storyline)... Grand Melee, Total War, Bedlam, No Quarter, Rivalry...

I, for one, would play the heck out of a set called Bedlam!

~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Visions was also a card, iirc.  I'd really like to see cards named after some of the Brawn, Valor, Anger, Filth, Wonder cycle.  They all have vague but good names.  Particularly Valor, I think.  Genesis is a good one.  As mentioned, Jokulhaups would be really cool.  
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Onslaught, if we're counting.
Like Conflux, that's been done.

Like Conflux, that's been done.

I know.

Hence the "If we're counting" part.

As in "If we're counting instances in which this has already happened."

Which people seemed to be doing.

A bit of reading comprehension goes a long way.
Condescension is good, too, until you hit bottom.

I wonder when they'll make a card called Exodus?  Oh and Apocalypse as well, has been done.

@Cad Bloom - Total War is a GREAT card now that it applies to defenders...  I have a 60 card deck around it in casual.  Fun fun. 
Haven't they standardized names to match the planes as they have moved away from multiplane jumping in one set?

There hasn't been a storyline that did a large amount of Plane Jumping since the Weatherlight cycle, though I think you are right in that naming conventions have the name of the world in the first set's name.

Also, I think Conflux is the only card intentionally named in conjunction with a set.

There's also Planar something, that's the name of a set. Planar Chaos maybe? I dunno, too lazy. 

(at)MrEnglish22

Apologies, but I absolutely loathe being corrected when I am not, in fact, saying anything that is wrong. It feels like a personal insult.

Only the first one in the block. Innistrad is the plane's name, true, but Dark Ascension could perfectly be a card's name.

[<o>]

There hasn't been a storyline that did a large amount of Plane Jumping since the Weatherlight cycle, though I think you are right in that naming conventions have the name of the world in the first set's name.

Also, I think Conflux is the only card intentionally named in conjunction with a set.

There's also Planar something, that's the name of a set. Planar Chaos maybe? I dunno, too lazy. 

All expansions in Time SPiral block - Time Spiral itself, Planar Chaos and Future Sight - share their names with preexistig cards. I don't know if that's intentional though.
All expansions in Time SPiral block - Time Spiral itself, Planar Chaos and Future Sight - share their names with preexistig cards. I don't know if that's intentional though.

Certainly intentional.

[<o>]

Apologies, but I absolutely loathe being corrected when I am not, in fact, saying anything that is wrong. It feels like a personal insult.

And I had simply made a mistake inspired by a combination of my uncertainty regarding EyeballFrog's comment about Conflux and the vague context of your terminology. So you could politely clear that up instead of attaching the status of correctness to your self image which is unwise in the context of discussion.

And as will_dice demonstrated, indeed the Time Spiral block's names were intentional.

unhinge deserves an honorary mention. It's just a "d" away. It was in Torment.

Edit: Another honorary mention. Volrath's Stronghold is the Stronghold in "Stronghold"
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Sign In to post comments