Help with the Izzet deck

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys and gals,

I recently entered the world of Magic: The Gathering and received my first set of cards from my local comic book store. It was a Jace intro deck containig thirty cards. The next day my buddy and I went to Barnes and Nobles and spotted the Izzet vs. Golgari theme dual deck pack. We both picked up one and headed back to his place in anticipation. We opened them and he immediately went straight for the Golgari deck which is a Black/Green combo, but I went for the Red/Blue Izzet deck.
We've used them a couple of times (stopping in the middle of our matches to look up certain abilities and what not), and well I've hit some problems.

My main concern is two cards: Nivix, Aerie of the Firemind and Izzet Boilerworks. Both are land cards, but with some abilities with them.

With Nivix, Aerie of the Firemind here's what it says (verbatim):

"(tap symbol) Add (1) to my mana pool"
"(2)(red)(blue): Exile the top card of your library. Until your next turn, you may cast that card if it's an instant or sorcery."

I understand that with the second ability if I pay the mana cost, I exile a card and until my next turn if it is an instant or sorcery, but what is the first telling? Does it allow me to search my library for any mana? Or does it act like the cost of a colorless (as described by my friend)?

Now for Izzet Boilerworks:

"Izzet Boilerworks enters the battlefield tapped."
"When Izzet BOilerworks enters the battlefield, return a land you control to its owner's hand."
"(tap symbol): Add (red)(blue) to your mana pool."

Ok, I understand that it enters the battlefiled already tapped and requires me to return any one land I control to my hand, and right up to the part where I add 1 red and 1 blue to my pool, but from where? Do I add from my hand? My library? Or is the land there metaphysically?

BTW: Nivix, Aerie of the Firemind is a colorless card and Izzet boilerworks is a split Red/Blue card. I don't know if this helps any but I thought I should put it.

I have other questions about the deck and with some other cards, and wanted to ask the community what they had to say.
I would love to have some responses and in some desperate need of some help, an dwould love some.

I'll be postig more questions after these arte resolved.

-LightningTheKid-
land is NOT mana, just like cow is not milk

is simply "generic mana"
for example you can use it when you cast colorless spells such as Izzet Signet, or use it for the colorless part of spells like Izzet Chronarch

is 2 mana, one of them is red, one of them is blue
you can use it to cast Izzet Charm for example

both Nivix, Aerie of the Firemind and Izzet Boilerworks are colorless

next time please ask rules questions in Rules Q&A above and try to autocard your cards
[c]Island[/c] becomes Island (don't copy my tags, type them out yourself)
proud member of the 2011 community team
Sorry, I'm new to the site, and wasn't aware that I had to specifically ask about a card in that particular forum. As I said, I'm new to this site.
I''m also unaware of autocard or whatever that is. That also didn't answer my question.
I tried to answer your questions and showed you how to autocard

if I should clarify anything please tell me what is still unclear
Please follow forum rules. All rules questions belong in Rules Q&A. This is stated clearly at the top of the Cards & Combos forum.

Moving to Rules Q&A. 

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
That also didn't answer my question.

Yes, it did.

I think you may lack some fundamental aspects of the game, however. Post your specific questions and we will do our best to help you understand.

It seems like you don't quite understand land and mana.

Land produces mana. For example, you can tap an island for . Basic lands have an inherent ability to tap for one mana of their specific type (islands make blue mana , forests make green mana , mountains make red mana , plains make white mana , and swamps make black mana .).

Non basic lands have no inherent abilities and only do what they have printed on them. For example izzet boilerworks can tap for one blue mana and one red mana. (). But, it comes into play tapped, so normally you won't be able to use it until your next turn.

IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)
Basic lands have activated abilities that are not printed on them.  For example, Island has an activated ability that says, ":  Add to your mana pool."  I'm sure you know that you tap your Island to play a blue spell, but it sounds like you don't understand exactly what happens.  You're not paying for the spell with your Island, you're paying with the mana that it produces.  When you tap Izzet Boilerworks, you're not only getting one blue () mana, you're getting a red () mana as well.  It's two for the price of one.

Rules Advisor

To take another stab at this....

Mana is what you use to pay the cost for casting spells (note: In magic, there are almost always exceptions to every rule)
Mana comes in 5 different colors, and can also come without any color at all.

Land is where you can get mana.... just like a well is where you can get water, or a cow is where you can get milk, etc.

So when you tap that island, it is like milking the cow... instead of milk you get one blue mana. You can now do things with that mana (cast spells, activate abilities, etc.)

If you tap one mountain, and tap one island;  you will get one red mana, and one blue mana.
If you tap the izzet boilerworks: you will get one red mana, and one blue mana.

Have you read the Rulebook already?

1) card frame does not determine colour for game purposes. It's typically determined by the mana symbols in its casting cost (top right corner). Both of the lands you mention have no casting cost and are colourless for game purposes. An Island has a light blue frame to remind players that it generates blue mana to cast blue spells, but for game purposes an island is colourless.

2) lands typically produce mana in a mana pool like how a generator produces electricity in a capacitor,
land is a type of card,
mana is metaphysical, it's a concept, like a number and has no physical representation, just like energy

tapping an Island produces one blue mana , it does not move an Island anywhere (not like Evolving Wilds does)
you just keep track of how much mana you have produced and say when you spend it.
if you don't use this imaginary energy, it dissipates and goes away.

eg. I want to cast Swerve. It costs . I can tap a mountain and an island to satisfy the cost. Or I could just tap Izzet Boilerworks.

eg. I want to cast Lightning Bolt. It costs . I can tap a mountain to produce the red mana, but let's say I have no mountains and only have Izzet Boilerworks. I can tap Izzet Boilerworks for the red mana, but there's now a blue mana sitting unused in my mana pool. I could use it to cast Unsummon if I have one, but if I don't use the magical blue energy, it goes away and empies from the mana pool.

Often looking at an old school Island clicks for new players.
Check this out.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Basic lands have an inherent ability to tap for one mana of their specific type
Non basic lands have no inherent abilities and only do what they have printed on them.

This isnt quite right. Blood Crypt for example is not a Basic land, but it does have inherent mana abilities (because it is a Swamp and a Mountain).  

~ Tim 

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Perhaps misleading as to why lands work like that, but not incorrect.

Basic lands have an inherent ability to tap for one mana of their specific type
True in all cases. All basic lands have this type of ability.

Non basic lands have no inherent abilities and only do what they have printed on them.
True in general. Very few basic lands have inherent abilities.

What I'm getting at here is that the "inherent abilities" of lands come from their basic land types. The subtypes Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and Forest each have an inherent ability tied to them which allows you to tap them to generate mana. Every basic land has one of these types, while nonbasic lands tend to lack them.

One of the reasons the shocklands like Blood Crypt are so good is because they have these  subtypes.
Basic lands have activated abilities that are not printed on them.  For example, Island has an activated ability that says, ":  Add to your mana pool."  I'm sure you know that you tap your Island to play a blue spell, but it sounds like you don't understand exactly what happens.  You're not paying for the spell with your Island, you're paying with the mana that it produces.  When you tap Izzet Boilerworks, you're not only getting one blue () mana, you're getting a red () mana as well.  It's two for the price of one.

Truly sorry for any faulty clearities, and was unaware this fell under the Rules&QA, truly sorry. I'm well aware that land IS NOT mana, but produces the mana to cast the various spells, and summon creatures and what not. My main confusion was the card itself.

I was unaware whether the card allowed me to draw the land or if it produced mana. I understood I was receiving mana and it would collect into my pool.
At the time I had a friend or had misinformed me of what my pool was and what my land was.
Again, I'm sorry for the confusion and the clearity that was lacking in my question. I was just confused with the card itself, and was not getting a complete explaination until recently. Back when I wrote the original post I had only been playing for a week and a half and was not getting all the answers I needed.
I apologize for any rudeness.
I want to thank all of you for the help, like I said, I was seeking the help and wasn't getting the answers I needed and only recently found this site.

There's a rulebook? The only thing I got was the little how to play thing that came in my Jace Beleren starter deck they give out for free.
I wish I had a physical rulebook and would love to obtain one. There are so many rules and stuff that everyone I play with has never seen the ability or wrapped up in their deck they don't branch out.
Seriously, all the people I played with have:
Green/White
White
Blue/Black
Green/Black

No one plays red :/
I would enjoy getting better and obtaining some copies of cards I have and getting some other useful cards for my Blue/Red
There's a rulebook?

actually, there's two

the compact, user-friendly basic rulebook (It covers the core concepts)

and the highly technical, over the top comprehensive rulebook (It covers nearly everything that can happen)

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

As far as I know, there's no hard-copy version of the rules. If you do find one, I don't recommend picking it up anyway -- the rules have a tendency to change at least every three months, with minor changes more frequently and major changes more occasionally.
there used to be a hard-copy of the basic rulebook that stores gave out for free
not sure if that still exists
Sign In to post comments