Wild Shape, Turning into winged animals

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is there any official ruling on this that if you turn into a flying beast you gain flight speed and if you turn into something of a fish you would swim better and gain underwater breathing? It would really help clear up things.
Powers do what they say they do.  No more, no less.  While you could take the form of a creature that could fly or swim, Wildshape does not grant you a flight speed, swim speed, nor ability to breath underwater.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
Also, the Druid has utility powers which do just this sort of thing.

Worth noting that Wild Shape doesn't change your stats in any way, it ONLY changes your appearance.  You can wild shape into a fish, but you'll still be able to walk on land and not swim very well.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Also, the Druid has utility powers which do just this sort of thing.

Worth noting that Wild Shape doesn't change your stats in any way, it ONLY changes your appearance.  You can wild shape into a fish, but you'll still be able to walk on land and not swim very well.

Which power would that be? Does this mean turning into a tortuse doesn't increase my Defenses =(
Most of the "Form of the ... " powers change your wildshape and give you some bonus.  Black Harbinger (U6) lets you fly, Treetop Lurker (U6) lets you climb, Form of the Primeval Serpent (D9) gives a swim speed and Primeval Raptor (D9) gives a fly speed, etc.   There's something similar for most utility or daily druid powers.

But, as mentioned, Wild Shape by itself doesn't change any stats, just gives you the ability to use Beast Form powers.  Depending on your DM, you may be able to house rule something (i.e., Tortoise Shape gives you +1 AC & Fort, damage resistance 2, -2 reflex and speed.)  T 

Also look at the Tuathan theme for a shapeshift/fly at level 10.
Note: Race option: the Hengeyokai.

They are shapeshifters, and can turn into animals to get movement benefits (but can’t attack during this from) I have found them very fun to play. It is always nice to just turn into something that can fly or climb to get out of the danger zone.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

Powers do what they say they do.  No more, no less.  While you could take the form of a creature that could fly or swim, Wildshape does not grant you a flight speed, swim speed, nor ability to breath underwater.

Repeated for emphasis.

But those are the rules.  If you and your DM don't like the rules, make new ones. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

Repeated for emphasis.

But those are the rules.  If you and your DM don't like the rules, make new ones. 

I can live with it, was just wondering what the official stance is

Repeated for emphasis.

I can live with it, was just wondering what the official stance is

There are druid daily powers with specific wild shape forms to serve the purpose you want.

Wildshape is strictly cosmetic. It's entirely a narrative roleplaying thing rather than a mechanical ability.

The only way to get a true flying wildshape form aside from a utility power is to play a pixie...
Pixies have a natural flight speed and thus can fly even when wildshaped into a horse or a fish.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

The only way to get a true flying wildshape form aside from a utility power is to play a pixie...

Or gain an flight from a source that's not a weapon enchantment or a wondrous item power.  The Scion of Arkohsia and Favored Soul paragon paths, for example, grant flight speeds.

Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.

Or gain an flight from a source that's not a weapon enchantment or a wondrous item power.  The Scion of Arkohsia and Favored Soul paragon paths, for example, grant flight speeds.

Scion of Arkohsia gives you Overland Flight speed only, so you can't use it in combat.  The Dragon Wings level 12 utility only lets you hop from place to place since you have to land at the end of the movement.

Favored Soul would require a hybrid or multiclass Druid/Avenger which is certainly a plausible build option as they share Wisdom and Dexterity as key stats; although it might not fit whatever flavor you're going for with the character.
Scion of Arkohsia gives you Overland Flight speed only, so you can't use it in combat.

You certainly can use it during combat.  While you can't use overland flight to stay airborn while attacking, it's still useful for traversing the battleground and getting to strategic locations, such as a high ledge you could attack from or behind some hindering terrain.  And although you lose the rest of your actions while using overland flight, you could still either do your other actions before taking off or use an action point after you land to gain a new action. 

And finally, it will allow you to fly while wildshaped.  So if that was your goal, mission accomplished.

Favored Soul would require a hybrid or multiclass Druid/Avenger which is certainly a plausible build option as they share Wisdom and Dexterity as key stats; although it might not fit whatever flavor you're going for with the character.

Flavor is mutable.  So if there are flavor aspects of the Avenger class one doesn't like, they can be altered or ignored entirely.  The real downside is that you're potentially devoting a lot of resources to snag a single ability.
Scion of Arkohsia gives you Overland Flight speed only, so you can't use it in combat.

You certainly can use it during combat.  While you can't use overland flight to stay airborn while attacking, it's still useful for traversing the battleground and getting to strategic locations, such as a high ledge you could attack from or behind some hindering terrain.  And although you lose the rest of your actions while using overland flight, you could still either do your other actions before taking off or use an action point after you land to gain a new action. 

And finally, it will allow you to fly while wildshaped.  So if that was your goal, mission accomplished.

I hadn't looked at the complete overland flight rules in a while, so yes you can technically use it in combat to move, but that's all you can do for that entire turn. You can't take any actions before taking off except for free actions or other move actions using overland flight, and you specifically can't take any other actions including immediate actions or oppurtunity actions until the start of the turn after you land.  If you use an action point on the same turn you use overland flight, you can only use it to move with overland flight again, or to trigger a special paragon path ability that replaces the extra action, as long as that special ability is itself only a free action or no action.

If you use overland flight to approach an aerial target, and then at the start of your next turn use a standard action to attack the target, you will then fall and crash because the standard action you took prevents you from using overland flight the same turn to stay aloft.

Overland flight rule - with emphasis added
Show

A creature can take a move action to use overland flight only if it has taken no actions that turn, except free actions or move actions using overland flight. The creature can then take only those actions until the start of its next turn. See also fly speed.
Show

A creature can take a move action to use overland flight only if it has taken no actions that turn, except free actions or move actions using overland flight. The creature can then take only those actions until the start of its next turn. See also fly speed.

Then it appears that Overland Flight was updated then.  I assume in the Rules Compendium, since, unless I fail at reading, this wording appears neither in the DMG or the DMG errata.
Show

Then it appears that Overland Flight was updated then.  I assume in the Rules Compendium, since, unless I fail at reading, this wording appears neither in the DMG or the DMG errata.

According to the compendium its from Monster Manual 2.  I haven't confirmed in the RC, but it probably uses the same text.

I hadn't looked at the complete overland flight rules in a while, so yes you can technically use it in combat to move, but that's all you can do for that entire turn. You can't take any actions before taking off except for free actions or other move actions using overland flight, and you specifically can't take any other actions including immediate actions or oppurtunity actions until the start of the turn after you land.  If you use an action point on the same turn you use overland flight, you can only use it to move with overland flight again, or to trigger a special paragon path ability that replaces the extra action, as long as that special ability is itself only a free action or no action.

If you use overland flight to approach an aerial target, and then at the start of your next turn use a standard action to attack the target, you will then fall and crash because the standard action you took prevents you from using overland flight the same turn to stay aloft.

Show

All that means is that if you take actions to do anything else, you can't take a move action to use overland flight. Since you don't have to move to stay in the air, and it doesn't say you crash if you take other actions, you simply stay in the air where you are while you take the other actions.

Sign In to post comments