Need a decent site for MTG searches

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, gatherer is a good site, but my biggest beef is that I can't just search for cards with Haste or Undying...unless I'm just being stupid.  Are there any good sites that will allow me to make those searches?

Thanks! 
You can't reason someone out of a position that they didn't reason themselves into.
Try typing "haste" or "undying" in the Rules Text filter in Advanced Search.
Urza is my Shepherd. Planet Multiverse
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
I'd hate to accidentally walk partially into one.
Random Tolarian wizard's last words. ;)
Real life fact: I'm terrified of Grizzly Bears, Polar Bears... and bears that could potentially blink into reality through a time rift.
Oh, geeze.  I was even specifically looking for rules text. >.<

Guess I'm just blind, thanks! 
You can't reason someone out of a position that they didn't reason themselves into.
No problem!
Urza is my Shepherd. Planet Multiverse
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
I'd hate to accidentally walk partially into one.
Random Tolarian wizard's last words. ;)
Real life fact: I'm terrified of Grizzly Bears, Polar Bears... and bears that could potentially blink into reality through a time rift.
Even under the simple search (and any gatherer entry) the first options are Name, Types, and Text.

By default you are always searching these three things. Just click the toggle box for names, and types, and you're searching for text.

If it was a snake it would have bit you.
IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)
Gatherer is Beast. Insanly good. Amazing how you can search for cards that do not inlclude a specifc keyword. You can also search for keywords in the flavor text However, the best thing about Gatherer is the user ratings. For example, If I want to compare two similar cards I could just look the comments and rating for both and decide from there. Comments also can tell you about other cards that work well with the card you looking and other combos. In additon, if I'm thinking about making knight deck I can search for knights and then organize the search results from highest rating to lowest. I really helps sort out which cards are good inlcusions and which are not. 

No other site even comes close the Gatherer's advanced search. The only problem is that it does not display the price of the card. I can easily search it up in amazon.com or coolstufinc.com so it does not really matter. 
Dude! Please Learn How to Autocard!
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
Basics to Building a Solid Deck
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
User rating is not to be trusted 100%, there's often people that will give a 0 rating to a card they hate. Look at black lotus, it's not at 5/5
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
No other site even comes close the Gatherer's advanced search.

In many ways. magiccards.info has search flexibility that surpasses gatherer - it's just not nearly as well-interfaced.

The regex support in gatherer is a nice touch, but there are some pretty big flaws and limitations with it - it doesn't support all the regexes one would expect a regex engine to support.
@MoiMoi, yes there are some troll ratings but most of the time people use the ratings as a comparison. For example, Black Lotus has as higher rating than Dark Ritual since Black Lotus is better. Other than that, ratings are never perfect but I use them to seperate the Mirran Crusaders from the Hobgoblin Dragoons when I want to make a knight deck. People also underestimate the comments section. I know there are also some troll comments, but you should usually look for comments that have been rated higher than others. Especially for new players, the comments section can teach you things you do not know and tell you about how you should use the card. For example, the comments on Gatherer taught me that you were suppose to play Sign in Blood on yourself not your opponents. lol

@ThatMarkGuy, naaayyy, I dont think MagicCards.Info better flexibilty that surpasses Gatherer. For example, I can't search for a card the includes the work 'Knight' in its Oracle text but does not have the Subtype of 'Knight'. I do not like how you cannot search for a card without a certain keyword. I don't really know anything that MagicCards.Info can do but Gatherer can't since I have not been too MagicCards.Info very often. Btw, I don't know what the heck a Regex Engine is. 
Dude! Please Learn How to Autocard!
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
Basics to Building a Solid Deck
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
I said "in many ways", not "in all ways".  For one, the color identity matching available in mc.i is very useful for EDH players in a way that gatherer doesn't offer.

Regexes (regular expressions) are an advanced way of specifying a search string, used for searching for complicated text patterns.

For a useless example, to search for all cards that begin with F and end with K, enter this in your name field in gatherer:

m/^f.+k$/

THat means "match : starts with f, contains one or more other characters, then a k, then end of field"
magiccardinfo is more powerful, overall
but I still prefer gatherer and just weed out unecessary results myself

btw. gatherer also accepts regex
proud member of the 2011 community team
User rating is not to be trusted 100%, there's often people that will give a 0 rating to a card they hate. Look at black lotus, it's not at 5/5

Rating based on power level alone seems a bit dumb, and not everyone does it that way.
Lalonde's right. I base mine off of the number of words in the text box.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Nah, you have to click random card for a week and then base it off which ones appeared the most during that time.

It's not random. It most definitely isn't. Then again, true RNGs don't exist, so I suppose that should come as no surprise.

At any rate, judging all of a card's merits based off a 9-point scale seems awfully limited and doesn't appear to be very constructive. Puns unintended, but acknowledged.
vampire nocturnus got a 3.9 rating, sengir vampire got a 4.3 and butcher of malakir got a 4.5. So yeah, the rating are not to be trusted 100% of the time. If my friends had to remove a creature from a deck, they'd probably remove nocturnus over the other 2 (hell I dont run the other 2 for obvious reasons, they arent good in any format, except butcher in edh maybe)

Mycosynth wellspring is insanely useful for my artifact deck, it got a rather low rating (3.3) and it's the first card to be extirpate because of the combo....even if the deck is part reanimator
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
What is the code used for the gatherer? How can I put a mana symbol into the Sort by Mana cost search option? How do I add "tap" symbol for searches?
{R} =
{T} =

etc.
Thanks I think. Whenever I try to search with {R} for mana cost I get a message saying server error. However when I do a search by creature type it returns results. Now I don't know if the server is down or if I'm somehow managing to mess this up.
For example, I can't search for a card the includes the work 'Knight' in its Oracle text but does not have the Subtype of 'Knight'.

o:knight not t:knight
I do not like how you cannot search for a card without a certain keyword.

not o:Haste
I don't really know anything that MagicCards.Info can do but Gatherer can't since I have not been too MagicCards.Info very often.

pow>cmc

I favor magiccards.info because:
 - It's very, very fast.
 - It does everything I need it to.
 - The interface is simple and clean, and setting up even "advanced" searches doesn't require a billion clicks.
 - The search syntax is brief and easy to type, so I can set up a shortcut with Alfred so all I have to do to search is cmd+space, "m o:discard c!u" to get all monoblue cards with "discard" in the rules text.  This comes in really handy when looking for references for YMtC.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

For example, I can't search for a card the includes the work 'Knight' in its Oracle text but does not have the Subtype of 'Knight'.

o:knight not t:knight
I do not like how you cannot search for a card without a certain keyword.

not o:Haste
I don't really know anything that MagicCards.Info can do but Gatherer can't since I have not been too MagicCards.Info very often.

pow>cmc

instead of not, you can just put a - in front of any term you want excluded. slightly shorter.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Thanks I think. Whenever I try to search with {R} for mana cost I get a message saying server error. However when I do a search by creature type it returns results. Now I don't know if the server is down or if I'm somehow managing to mess this up.

In the mana cost field, you just use R for .  The curlybrace representation is just for the Text (Oracle text) field.