DLCR: Simic Fluxmage

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Another GTC card to rate is...

Simic Fluxmage

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

This guy is certainly cool.  And if you get him out early he can be a real nuisance just flinging counters all over the place.

Discuss! 
I snagged a foil one last draft when I was running Simic.  Looks really neat, though the art is a bit darker than normal.

That said, a bit better than I originally thought.  I made some huge Cloudfins with it among other silliness.  Gets you mileage out of removed evolvers to boot. 

I'll go 2.5-3.  Not going to be part of the core, and Simic can definitely function well without it, but it's definitely an inclusion I'm happy with.  Innocuous but powerful.
I'd go a bit higher than that, perhaps 3.5. She makes combat an absolute nightmare for the opponent. She can evolve your early stuff, and it's easy to evolve her as well. She's a very solid card, for sure.

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

This seems like it would only be really useful if you had a long time for it to work. But still, sometimes the threat of being able to move a +1/+1 counter makes blocking decisions difficult. 3.0
3.0; moving counters after matchups are determined makes for a frustrating task for an opponent.  She evolves into a respectable card on the next creature drop.  Can help in long games if you're playing as Dimir or against Dimir or Orzhov; put counters on your evaders or build something big enough to smash defenders.
2.5 seems generous on this guy.  It's only really playable in Simic and there are plenty of better 3-drops.  It was hilarious when Wizards released their top 10 cards list and this card was accidentally put in the slot of Simic Manipulator and people actually tried to justify why it might be first pickable.
this is fine. If you have 4 cloudfin raptors, this can be your fix
3 seems fine if a little on the high side. I first-picked this guy in today's draft and was quite happy with him, though my deck wasn't the optimal one for him to shine in. He complicated math a lot and makes cards like Crowned Ceratok just ridiculous.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!